Urgent Tyres Help - Please

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

TheOldPO

Urgent Tyres Help - Please

Post by TheOldPO »

I have owned an MR2 Mk3 since new (Jul '05), and now have 32,800mls on the clock, so less then 4000/yr. I live in Morayshire in northern Scotland.

The car was supplied with "Yokohama Advan A-043" 185/55R15 (front) and 215/45R16 (rear).

I think I am on the 2nd set of rears and 2nd or 3rd on front. Though I have been disappointed with how long the tyres have lasted, I do not drive the car 'hard', I have been happy with their road holding.

I need new rear tyres, as MoT is coming up buy the end of month.

When I first got the car I read, on various MR2 forums, that the Mk3 was sensitve to tyres.

Given that the "Avan A-043" is no longer produced can anybody suggest a good replacement, and best place to buy? I know the choice is limited due to the rear wheel size and would prefer not to have to buy new wheels.

Given that the front tyres still have a decent amount of life, I would like to replace the rear tyres only if possible so would also appreciate advice with regrards to different makes fornt & rear.

Hoping someone can help.

Cheers, Iain
Ekona

Re: Urgent Tyres Help - Please

Post by Ekona »

Don't mix tyres front and rear, you'll get some very awkward handling traits.

Advan Neova LTS-spec are available in those sizes IIRC, and I'd get those over anything else. Fantastic tyres.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Is it really that bad to have different tyres on the front and rear axles? As long as you aren't running R888's front and Ling Longs on the rear, it's really not going to be noticable for someone who doesn't drive the car hard.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Is it really that bad to have different tyres on the front and rear axles? As long as you aren't running R888's front and Ling Longs on the rear, it's really not going to be noticable for someone who doesn't drive the car hard.

I wondered the same, Even if they were the same brand/model surely the different widths is going to make them very different.

Like you say, don't mix ding dongs with R888's.

But it's only ever going to really count in the wet, UK's not a damp country is it?
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Why risk it? For the sake of a couple of quid? Nope, don't see the point.

And yes, it can make a massive difference. Even between something like Bridgestone 040 and 050, that one number is huge. Like the 452 and 453 from Falken, massively different tyres.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

I really think you're over-exaggerating the difference for every day driving. I was running T1R's front and Kumho KU31 rears for about 6 months through winter and honestly in that 6 month crossover period I couldn't really tell the difference between having T1R's all round like I had before or the KU31's I have all round now.

It's not a case of a couple of quid in this case - the tyres OP currently has are no longer available. Throwing away a perfectly decent set of front tyres just to get matching make / model front and rear because you need to replace the rears is a waste of money IMO.
Marf

Post by Marf »

It'll matter when you have to swerve to avoid someone or stamp on the brakes. :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Well, I must have been extremely lucky when I had T1R fronts / KU31 rears then :roll:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Oh extremely :thumleft:

:roll: :roll:

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”