Video Footage from Elvington

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BenF
Premium Member

Video Footage from Elvington

Post by BenF »

I've just quickly put together a clip of one lap as taken from a camera on the side of my Roadster - there's more gooning around going on than concentration on good lines ;)

The camera mount was a little loose so the picture jumps around a little, but its watchable.

:!: Note its a 10MB download though - those on a slow or dialup internet connection may have a bit of a wait for it.

Here's the link:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/users/BenF/Elving ... adster.wmv

I've got loads more footage to work through including people and cars in the paddock - more clips will follow later this week and next weekend.
Last edited by BenF on Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoM

Re: Video Footage from Elvington

Post by DoM »

You gooning? Never!

I'll download it when I get home, did you get any footage of the teg? I don't remember seeing you while I was out on track, might have been because you were engulfed in clouds of tyre smoke! :lol:

Dom
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Quaity..... I look forward to viewing it :D

Wish I had a car cam.... could have caught me doing some monster fishtailing action (lock to lock!!!!)

Anyways its downloading on lovely aol 56k so it'll be a while.... good work on getting it up so quickly =D>
ImageImage
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

DoM wrote:You gooning? Never!

I'll download it when I get home, did you get any footage of the teg? I don't remember seeing you while I was out on track, might have been because you were engulfed in clouds of tyre smoke! :lol:

Dom

Dom, I'll have a look through the footage later and see what I can find. I heard you had the back end out on the 'teg a few times as well!

I had a intermittent connection somewhere in my setup and so I lost a couple of sessions of video footage, but I do have at least 3 sessions on camera.

I also spent some times following cars to get some footage of other cars - I'll check later ...
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Goldy wrote:Quaity..... I look forward to viewing it :D

Wish I had a car cam.... could have caught me doing some monster fishtailing action (lock to lock!!!!)

Anyways its downloading on lovely aol 56k so it'll be a while.... good work on getting it up so quickly =D>

The clip is ~ 2 minutes long - it may take around 80 minutes to download that 10MB so its something to leave running whilst you do something else. If there's enough demand, I'll do some lower-quality video clips which should be around half that size.

From what I heard from Dale you weren't slow, and your tires were looking well worn by the end of the day ;)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Very good Ben, though you need to get that initial lift off oversteer on turn-in going as that way you can carry it all the way through the corner, ie turn-in, lift off slightly then get the power on again and you can hold it all the way from turn-in to exit rather than just on the exit..

;)

If you haven't already guessed that what i have to do in the NA as it hasn't got the power to push the rear end out on the exit, so i lift off get opposite lock on then get my foot down to balance it through the corner.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

BenF wrote:
The clip is ~ 2 minutes long - it may take around 80 minutes to download that 10MB so its something to leave running whilst you do something else. If there's enough demand, I'll do some lower-quality video clips which should be around half that size.

From what I heard from Dale you weren't slow, and your tires were looking well worn by the end of the day ;)

Heh took about 30 mins to get it..... It looks a lot slower than it probably was (almost like you're taking it easy!!) :twisted: Good bit of film action there....

As for speed..... yea I was canning it.... should have probably gone a bit easier (for the tyres sake).... more or less drove the car on the limit the whole time, but it was good fun!....

The tyres are destroyed.... the passenger side tyres on the back is down to threads and the front is not far off.... I'm wondering whether to keep the wheels or not at the moment.....
ImageImage
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Lauren wrote:Very good Ben, though you need to get that initial lift off oversteer on turn-in going as that way you can carry it all the way through the corner, ie turn-in, lift off slightly then get the power on again and you can hold it all the way from turn-in to exit rather than just on the exit..

;)

If you haven't already guessed that what i have to do in the NA as it hasn't got the power to push the rear end out on the exit, so i lift off get opposite lock on then get my foot down to balance it through the corner.

Ta Lauren, I'll give that a go at the next trackday. If I can twist your arm to passenger and give me some feedback that would be good - I'm not sure I could book Howard for sessions on improving my goonage 'stiles' ;)

I did find the Roadster would lift-off oversteer like my Mk1 though, especially in the longer faster corners - it was quite interesting driving the two back to back.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

BenF wrote:
Lauren wrote:Very good Ben, though you need to get that initial lift off oversteer on turn-in going as that way you can carry it all the way through the corner, ie turn-in, lift off slightly then get the power on again and you can hold it all the way from turn-in to exit rather than just on the exit..

;)

Ta Lauren, I'll give that a go at the next trackday. If I can twist your arm to passenger and give me some feedback that would be good - I'm not sure I could book Howard for sessions on improving my goonage 'stiles' ;)

I did find the Roadster would lift-off oversteer like my Mk1 though, especially in the longer faster corners - it was quite interesting driving the two back to back.

No worries. Howard doesn't do goonage, its not really his thing.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Ben i think considering that you goon pretty well on teh exit you'll have no probs once you get it going on turn-in. Once you get the hang of it you'll then have the confidence to turn-in way early with lift-off oversteer and allow a very long goon indeed. remember in my car i can't really goon that much on the exit i have to rely on momentum of the rear end to carry the goon through the corner and out the other side. With the power of your car you'll be able to hold it for longer. :thumright:

I'll definately bag a ride with you next time. I haven't been in 'Buffy' yet! ;)
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Nice video Ben!

I noticed something interesting though, I didn't once here the rev limiter kick in whereas on my own mk3 MR-S turbo I'm forever hitting the rev limit!
I think the majority of that (and I'm sure you can relate to this) is down to the fact stepping from a mk2 Turbo with long gears that seem to go on forever to the mk3 with it's much shorted gears that seem to bang through quite nicely albeit quickly, takes some getting used to.

I'd of thought at Elvington you'd be hitting the rev limit quite often, or did you?

Rowland
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Rowland wrote:Nice video Ben!

I noticed something interesting though, I didn't once here the rev limiter kick in whereas on my own mk3 MR-S turbo I'm forever hitting the rev limit!
I think the majority of that (and I'm sure you can relate to this) is down to the fact stepping from a mk2 Turbo with long gears that seem to go on forever to the mk3 with it's much shorted gears that seem to bang through quite nicely albeit quickly, takes some getting used to.

I'd of thought at Elvington you'd be hitting the rev limit quite often, or did you?

Rowland

Hey Rowland! I've been meaning to drop you a line to see how you're getting on with the SMT Turbo'd Roadster - what did you do about fueling/timing in the end for it - did you go the Greddy eManage / Profec route, or Unichip? You had it on the Rolling Road yet? I need to chat to you about a few things :)

As you've probably noticed I've got a fairly relaxed attitude to driving the Roadster on track - I don't need to try to wring every last rev out of the engine as the turbo has so much torque you don't need to.

In general don't tend to ever hit the rev limiter - exploring the 6-7k rpms band can be fun as the car is very very rapid up there.

Gearing - well, to be honest, I didn't notice that much of a difference between the Mk2 Turbo and the Roadster. What I do have to watch out for is that I'm used to short shifting from 4th to 6th once I've joined dual carridgeway in the Roadster - you can't do that in the Mk1 ... as reverse is where 6th is in the Roadster #-o :clown:
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Lauren wrote:Ben i think considering that you goon pretty well on teh exit you'll have no probs once you get it going on turn-in. Once you get the hang of it you'll then have the confidence to turn-in way early with lift-off oversteer and allow a very long goon indeed. remember in my car i can't really goon that much on the exit i have to rely on momentum of the rear end to carry the goon through the corner and out the other side. With the power of your car you'll be able to hold it for longer. :thumright:

I'll definately bag a ride with you next time. I haven't been in 'Buffy' yet! ;)

LoL - I can't beleive you've not had a ride in Spitfire yet ;)

Getting some pointers for you to improve goonage would be great to do - exactly like you've spotted you can hold the tail out on the throttle, or just throttle steer it - but it would be good to learn some new skills to get the slides going earlier. :thumleft:
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

BenF wrote:

Hey Rowland! I've been meaning to drop you a line to see how you're getting on with the SMT Turbo'd Roadster - what did you do about fueling/timing in the end for it - did you go the Greddy eManage / Profec route, or Unichip? You had it on the Rolling Road yet? I need to chat to you about a few things :)

As you've probably noticed I've got a fairly relaxed attitude to driving the Roadster on track - I don't need to try to wring every last rev out of the engine as the turbo has so much torque you don't need to.

In general don't tend to ever hit the rev limiter - exploring the 6-7k rpms band can be fun as the car is very very rapid up there.

Gearing - well, to be honest, I didn't notice that much of a difference between the Mk2 Turbo and the Roadster. What I do have to watch out for is that I'm used to short shifting from 4th to 6th once I've joined dual carridgeway in the Roadster - you can't do that in the Mk1 ... as reverse is where 6th is in the Roadster #-o :clown:

Hi Ben just very quickly the MR-S has been treated to a Greddy Emange to sort out the fuelling fitted by Thor-Racing.
It's currently over there now having some tuning done so alas I've got to drive a Vauxhall Astra for a couple of days *sigh*
The drive is VERY different to my mk2 Turbo it's very much point n' squeeze and the handling has the mk2 well and truly beaten!
An increase in power over and above 200 bhp uprated brakes and chassis tuning should make it a blistering drive weighing in at under a tonne!

At the end of the day it's a barrel of laughs - and I love it!!

*Rushes to work late again!*
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

BenF wrote:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/users/BenF/Elving ... adster.wmv

I've got loads more footage to work through including people and cars in the paddock - more clips will follow later this week and next weekend.

Anymore for anymore? Not that I want to appear pushy, but pull your bloody finger out man!

:)
MartG

Post by MartG »

=D>

Looking forward to more :D
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

MartG wrote:=D>

Looking forward to more :D

LoL you lot are keen :-)

My plans to edit them up last weekend went a bit pear shaped when my desktop PC XP installation died big time. I've rescued a few in the past, but the disk was corrupted so it was re-install time.

Good news is that the video footage is all still there .. I'm part way through editing some more clips together.

Any suggestions for tunes to set it all to? Virtigo by U2 is what I'm currently thinking - I'm not a big U2 fan, but its a good tune for trackday footage ..
MartG

Post by MartG »

Don't fear the Reaper ( live version ) by Blue Oyster Cult ?
Freewheelin' by Bachman Turner Overdrive :lol:
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Meatloaf : Bat Out Of Hell :lol:
Erm..... Queen :P....
Rammenstein.....
Rage against the machine

erm....
Bethovens 5th
ImageImage
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

BenF wrote:
Any suggestions for tunes to set it all to? Virtigo by U2 is what I'm currently thinking - I'm not a big U2 fan, but its a good tune for trackday footage ..

NO TUNES..

HTH ;)

Is it just me or does nothing do your head in more than being subjected to someone elses dubious taste in music?

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”