Project MRX350

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Project MRX350

Post by Lauren »

Looking good. Not too far away from a geo setup soon! :)
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thanks Lauren, still a good way to go before geo but getting there.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Given my digital dash a minor makeover, version 2.0 has illuminated gauge names now and a tinted screen over them to reduce glare, they were too bright at night before.

Struggled to take a decent pic of them, the perspex reflected a lot...

PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Ok so some days things happen quicker than others, today was an eventful day, my 6 speed EB60 gearbox arrived from the US, to recap this is the gearbox from the Scion TC, the little brother to the EA61 found in the Auris and Evora, now i am concerned about using the EA in my Mk1, even though i have a stonking 3.5ltr V6 in my car i don't want to overload the chassis (i did that with the V8 all too easily), so i spent a few more quid and imported this much lighter 6 speed.

It needed a hole drilling out to a larger diameter and a few areas of the bellhousing shaving, but after that it bolted right up, it has a Tilton type clutch slave and release bearing, so no external slave to worry about, just plumb it up and go. I double checked the clutch to slave offsets and it all looks good.

After a little work here is my EB60 6 speed attached to the supercharged 2gr-fe...

This is the rarest Mr2 engine/gearbox combo on the planet, nobody else has used this engine/gearbox combo.

Weight wise it feels heavier than a Mk2 NA S54 box, but slightly lighter than a E153 i'd say.

Shortly after the whole lot was trial fitted in the bay...

How insane does that look?

Now because of my new SC pulley arrangement i need to move my drivers side engine mount over by 25mm, so the engine will get briefly dropped back out to do that, but then it will go back in the sweet spot for driveshaft location.

I still don't know if my old SC lid will work, that charger sits about 3/4" above my boot lid level, so it will be close.
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Thats just phenomenal Paul. You have some serious skills.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Good work!

Tis coming along very nicely. This car will be done before my AE at this rate!
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
stenky

Post by stenky »

most impressive! but i still want that dash :)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Thanks folks, it's a long hard slog but i want this car to be the best (or at least best modified) Mk1 ever built. Hopefully one day i can stand back and finally say it's finished.

Stenky there's another round of dash mods coming up you might like, i'll post details when i've made progress.
coanda

Post by coanda »

Awesome!

What sort of ballpark are we in for this one then (without SC....)? 5-7k?

How do you think the gear change will work out with this? nice and smooth?

Also, would you mind getting a couple of extra bushes for the suspension when you get around to it, and let me know what you want for them?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Cost for a 2gr with Scion 6 speed? I'm into this one for about £6k without a penny accounted for in labour, that's the bare engine and gearbox parts cost, probably over £8k with all the little bits and pieces, over £11k with the SC and associated gubbins.

I've built a few 2gr Mk1s now and most retail out at about £9k to £10k on E153 gearboxes, the Scion TC 6 speed gearbox is tricky to find cheap, has to be imported from the US and has issues with gear selection and a host of other problems, one of which is no speedo cog on the diff, which needs the gearbox stripping to install one. Now i'm not going to do that, i have other ideas which will be detailed soon.

I have already figured out the gearshift assembly and it's beautifully slick, i don't share the key elements of some of my stuff because it often gets ripped off by those who give nothing back to the Mr2 community and pen it as their own work.... but in general i'll help anyone with anything, rant over :)

Which bushes in particular do you want? I've fitted an entire PB kit?
ashley

Post by ashley »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

Deserves a re-post....just wow :thumleft:
coanda

Post by coanda »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

Sorry, I've gone back over this and I think I'm a little confused - I was just talking about the bush to fill hub carrier upper holes (for when there are no camber adjustment bolts) but I think we cleared that up - I should be drilling out the hub carrier to 15mm and use a mk.2 15mm bolt...

Ages since I last looked at that :(
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Ah right! I wondered what you meant! :D
coanda

Post by coanda »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Cost for a 2gr with Scion 6 speed? I'm into this one for about £6k without a penny accounted for in labour, that's the bare engine and gearbox parts cost, probably over £8k with all the little bits and pieces, over £11k with the SC and associated gubbins.

I've built a few 2gr Mk1s now and most retail out at about £9k to £10k on E153 gearboxes, the Scion TC 6 speed gearbox is tricky to find cheap, has to be imported from the US and has issues with gear selection and a host of other problems, one of which is no speedo cog on the diff, which needs the gearbox stripping to install one. Now i'm not going to do that, i have other ideas which will be detailed soon.

I have already figured out the gearshift assembly and it's beautifully slick, i don't share the key elements of some of my stuff because it often gets ripped off by those who give nothing back to the Mr2 community and pen it as their own work.... but in general i'll help anyone with anything, rant over :)

Totally see where you are coming from. I'm the same with some of my work simply because I can't dedicate the time I need to it, so I know if I detailed everything I was doing in nice blog posts someone would just take it and do it faster!

Guessing there'll be another evolution of the dash then?!

Fortunately for my bank account, I like the originality of the 4gze in my SC, but the mk.2 I just bought for daily use is already starting to feel a bit slow and boring compared to the outgoing 996 911. It has the show but it's not matched up by the go. Not unexpected I suppose but I do like a nice sounding engine and exhaust. Just two more cylinders seems to make all the difference...
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

In all honesty the VVti version of the 1mz (Lexus Rx300 engine) is an absolute stonker in a Mk2, it's not as spendy as the 2gr and does everything you'd want really, not hard to do on a DIY install either with my help. :thumleft:

Yes there is another big evolution of the dash coming, it won't be to a lot of peoples tastes, but it's driven by speedo issues i have with the new gearbox, it will be uber cool though.
coanda

Post by coanda »

Stacks of mods to be made ? :)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Just one big one really, it will take the Mk1 dash out of the 80's and bang up to date, hopefully i won't get flamed too much as most of the aesthetic mods i've done so far have been in keeping with the cars era.

Needs must with this modern gearbox though.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Thanks folks, it's a long hard slog but i want this car to be the best (or at least best modified) Mk1 ever built. Hopefully one day i can stand back and finally say it's finished.

They are never finished. :lol:

Looking fantastic Paul. :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

You're not wrong there mate!
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Custom rear hubs now fitted, these are extremely rare in the Mk1 world, in fact i've only ever done this twice before on customers cars in the last 15 years, these are Mk2 turbo hubs that have been machined to share the same dimensions as Mk1 hubs, so it fits the Mk1 wheel bearing and has the Mk1 4x100 PCD.

This allows complete Mk2 turbo driveshafts to be fitted with the much stronger outer CV spline.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v624/ ... 06ad35.jpg

you certainly helped me acquire parts (& knowledge) to run the complete mk2 drive shafts with the mk2 axle inserts machined down to fit in the mk1 bearing and mk1 hub assembly (if I'm calling these by the right names!)

so how this works has confused me (guessing the axle insert is not AW11, but still 4x100?)

looks fantastic and great that this is stronger (and no change of wheels!!)

:thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”