[FINALIZED] Bright Red 1994 Toyota Mk 2 Rev 3 GT Tbar Turbo with rare Traction Control

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rev3gtturbo

Bright Red 1994 Toyota Mk 2 Rev 3 GT Tbar Turbo with rare Traction Control

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Bright Red 1994 Toyota Mk 2 Rev 3 GT Tbar Turbo with rare Traction Control for Sale £2500

Pic_right_side_front
Pic_left_side_front
Pic_right_side_rear
Pic_left_side_rear
Pic_front
Pic_rear
Pic_frunk
Pic_engine_bay
Pic_dash
Pic_dash_momo

Pic_rear_arch_left
Pic_rear_arch_right
Pic_rear_arch_right
Pic_sill_left_middle
Pic_sill_left_rear
Pic_sill_right_middle
Pic_sill_right_rear

Pic_seats
Pic_driver_seat_bolster

I have owned this car since May 2001 and it has been a very reliable and fun daily driver and well looked after.
Reluctantly selling it as I drive a lot of miles and got another Rev 3 Turbo later in 2013 with very low mileage and I don’t need two cars.
Car is taxed until 31st October 2014 and MOT is due 22nd May 2014.
Currently approx 333,000 km on the clock and it had 75,000 km on the clock when I bought it.
The car is on a private plate, M200MRT, which is the perfect plate for an M reg MR2 Turbo!
According to the DVLA registrations website the M*MRT plates are currently worth around £300.

Note £3300 spent on bodywork restoration project in 2011.

Bodywork

Full restoration (took 4 months!) in summer 2011 with strip down bare metal re-spray in its original Super Red 2 (3E5).
Corrosion removed (cut out) from sills, rear arches, rear quarters, boot floor.
Undersealed.
New nose cone and rear bumper (as paint too thick on old plastics to spray again from minor knocks over the years).
New front wings so no chance of corrosion or filler in there on completion of restoration.
New O/S/R rear quarter window.
Alloy wheels refurbished.
Radio reception much improved on completion of the restoration.

I spent £3300 on this restoration in 2011.

Car restorer also did the earthing points and replaced the windscreen washer hoses.
Nose cone paint has stone chips on the lower part of the splitter.
Rubber seals around doors, bonnet, boot, TBARs treated with rubber rejuvenator 2-3 times a year.
Front under trays replaced 2013. Front under trays removed Jan 2014 after they popped loose on a motorway and got damaged.
This car has no badges or decals on the rear or sides of the car so don’t be surprised if you get other car drivers driving in formation off the rear quarter on a dual carriageway trying to work out what this bright red good looking sports car is!

Update: Despite this restoration work, the rear arches and sills are starting to bubble. Close up pics added above.

Engine

Starts well and warms up quickly and remains steady on the temperature gauge. Accelerates well.
Reconditioned Toyota Turbo (and new Toyota gaskets) fitted January 2009 to replace tired Toyota turbo. What a difference that made.
Stock boost controller does not work properly so a Forge Motorsport Eunos Manual Boost Controller has been used to reliably overcome this since November 2009. MBC is in the engine bay above the air box.

When I bought this car it was already fitted with a HKS induction kit and a Blitz dump valve. These items have recently be swapped for the stock airbox and BOV from my other Rev 3 Turbo as I prefer the induction sound and it makes it quieter inside on those long distance commutes.

Car has a standard exhaust. This is a nearly new Toyota exhaust fitted in 2012 (seller had fitted it brand new to another MR2 before the owner decided to change it for an aftermarket exhaust not long after, so it had been in dry storage until I bought it).
New Toyota exhaust gaskets.
New Toyota offside drive shaft oil seal Oct 2009.
New Toyota ignition switch Oct 2009.

Cam belt replaced 29/9/2000 with less than 68,202 km on clock (previous owner), also on the 5 yearly interval on 01/12/2005 with 138,029 km on the clock (engine bay sticker), and once more since then by same garage (misplaced receipt so cant give exact details, but it was later than scheduled as the belt was in good condition, possibly in mid-late 2010).

Auxiliary belts replaced March 2012 and re-tensioned Jan 2014.
Toyota rocker cover gasket and washers replaced May 2013.
A couple of the engine mounts have been replaced over the years.
Usual service items replaced over the years including Toyota HT leads, Toyota dizzy cap and rotor arm (Dec 2008), and platinum plugs (May 2013).

Car has always used a bit of oil on long distance drives (before and after the turbo was replaced) and it has regularly been doing 100 miles/day commuting off-peak for the last few years so has a relatively easy life on spirited flowing drives and motorway cruising.
Did not use oil on short town trips when I was between jobs for 3 months at the beginning of 2013.
Serviced/topped up with fully synthetic Castrol RS/Edge 10w60 for many years.
Oil needs to be monitored to establish your own consumption.
This is a very smooth engine and if you drive the car regularly you will hear a difference when the oil level is near the min line on the dip stick.

Gearbox oil 75w90 replaced April 2014.
Gear selector bush replaced June 2011 and April 2014.

Battery replaced Jan 2014 with a Halfords Advanced HCB005 Calcium Maintenance Free Battery.

Cooling

The radiator started leaking last year so a new radiator fitted May 2012.
The climate control air-con was re-gassed Oct 2009.

Wheels and Suspension

I have replaced all the shocks with new Bilstein or Toyota items at least twice!
Currently has Toyota front shocks and Bilstein (yellow) B6 rear shocks. This combination works well.
Both rear shocks fitted March 2011. Offside front shock fitted May 2008. Near side front shock fitted May 2013.
New Toyota steering rack gaitors May 2008
New Toyota front top mounts Nov 2010.
New Toyota nearside front track control arm Nov 2010.
New Toyota front lower ball joints Nov 2012
New Toyota rear subframe brace bars Oct 2009. Surprising what a difference that made to the handling.
Stock 15 inch alloy wheels.
The car has ABS and the very rare Traction Control. There is a TRC switch if you want to turn it off.
Tracking/alignment done whenever I buy new tyres – they say it is one of the straightest cars they have seen. With the mileage I do over the last few years that is getting done annually!
As the car tracks straight, a set of Toyo T1R tyres typically last 20,000 miles for the rears and 30,000 miles for the fronts.
Note that I want to keep these refurbished stock wheels (with Toyo T1R tyres) so have recently swapped them for the stock 15 inch wheels on my other Rev3 Turbo. Those 15 inch wheels from my other car need balancing, and the tyres don’t have as much grip as Toyo T1Rs.

Brakes

All the brake discs have been replaced over the years with new Toyota discs, and all of the pads have been replaced with Toyota pads.
Rear pads May 2012, Front pads Sept 2012. Front discs Dec 2007. Rear discs 2008?
Three of the callipers have been replaced. O/S/R has been replaced twice - Jan 2010 and June 2012
Car brakes in a straight line.
Hand brake cables replaced years ago with Toyota items.
Brake fluid replaced Jan 2014.

Clutch

The clutch has been replaced twice with a standard Toyota clutch. New clutch June 2011.

Interior

Tacho distances are all in kilometres. Speedo has 110 MPH clocks that also show KM/H. Previous seller (dealer) says the car has been de-restricted, but I have not been on a track to find out!
Fuel gauge works but the orange Low fuel light usually does not work. With my driving style I usually get 10 or 11 km/ltr of super unleaded which is around 30mpg. This fuel economy has got better with age – when I first bought it was doing 25mpg.
Stock alcantera/leather seats in good condition. Some wear on drivers bolster.
Car recently gained a Momo steering wheel instead of the stock steering wheel. (I prefer the stock steering wheel so did a swap between my cars)

Update: Not been in the boot for ages. Discovered a boot leak as carpet was wet with some mould spots. The water appears to be getting in near the right boot hinge as indicated in the following pics.
Pic_boot_leak
Pic_boot_carpet
Pic_boot_floor
I have dried the boot floor and the carpet.

ICE and Security

The car has Thatcham 2 immobiliser with VSIB installation certificate. There are 2 immobiliser fobs and one master key.
The car has a used JVC CD/Radio (fitted Nov 2013 when I swapped head units between cars).
The aerial has recently stopped working so I was using my other MR2 in the recent stormy season to get the local traffic news on the radio to avoid areas of flooding.
New Kicker DS-600 door speakers (mains and tweeters) fitted May 2009. The OEM rear fill speaker in the side panel below the right rear quarter window makes a popping sound so I usually have the fader set forward.

Summary

In valuing the car I have considered the main factors to be
(a) high mileage, mostly accumulated in the last few years
(b) Regularly doing 100 miles per day off-peak commuting in flowing traffic so easy miles
(c) oil consumption
(d) assume cam belt will need replacing this year
(e) One owner since 2001, always hand washed, always garaged until Dec 2013
(f) Service history going back to 2001
(g) well used daily runner so not had the problems of cars that are not used for months/years
(h) relatively new rocker cover gasket, shocks, radiator, battery and exhaust
(i) £3300 spent on bodywork restoration in Summer 2011
(j) Private plate M200MRT - The MRT series plates currently worth around £300 on DVLA site
(k) Car accelerates, corners and brakes really well
(l) Guy at work wanted to buy it in December 2013 for £2500 but his wife wouldn’t let him, and he reckoned it would easily sell in summer for £3000 having seen it and experienced the performance. He reckons it looks nicer than the MR2 I am hanging on to. (I am doing 20,000 miles a year so need to keep the much lower mileage car).

I was originally considering offers around £2500 as I don’t want to keep maintaining two cars.
Unfortunately, since the car has been sat on the driveway it has started to bubble on the rear arches and sills despite the restoration in 2011.
It has also developed a boot leak.
So the price needs to be reduced as I dont have the time to sort it all out.

New price £1850 ono. (further reduced as road tax due end of the month)

Available for viewing in Surrey/Hants where it does most of its commuting miles.
Last edited by rev3gtturbo on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:03 am, edited 9 times in total.
ilovejapcars

Re: [FINALIZED] Bright Red 1994 Toyota Mk 2 Rev 3 GT Tbar Turbo with rare Traction Control

Post by ilovejapcars »

Pics don't work
rev3gtturbo

Re: [FINALIZED] Bright Red 1994 Toyota Mk 2 Rev 3 GT Tbar Turbo with rare Traction Control

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Thanks for that. It is the first time I have posted pics on the forum.
I have edited the post to replace the Img tags with Url tags.
sledge.hammer

Post by sledge.hammer »

333.000 km on the engine? Isn´t it the cars important part? 8-[
Whats wrong with the prices at the moment?
synXero

Post by synXero »

Fantastic and candid advert. Good luck.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Updated with exact dates for tax and MOT
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Added more pics:
Rear arches and sills (starting to bubble despite the restoration in 2011),
seats,
boot floor (as boot has developed a leak).

Price reduced to £2000 ono
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Over 1200 hits on this ad so there is some interest.
So why is it still sat on my drive gathering dust?

I thought a swift fairly standard 1994 rev3 turbo would be desireable and sold by now.
I was hoping an mr2 enthusiast would have snapped it up.

If it does not sell I could always take off parts I know my other rev3 turbo will need eventually and scrap the rest.
Be a shame to scrap it, but it will not be sitting on my driveway for months.
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

Maybe its because your pictures arent working .
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Thanks for that Dan.

The links are shared links created by dropbox.
Not sure why they work for some people and not for others. :?
I will have to ask dropbox.

Sometimes when I view for sale ads on the web (inc imoc) the pics dont display and I just get a small red X in a box. I thought it was just the internet security blocking it for some reason rightly or wrongly.

I can email the pics - takes a few emails as they are a good detailed resolution.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Car tax due end of the month so price drop to £1850
coanda

Post by coanda »

The links do work, but because of the formatting, the image names don't look like links, hence they show to me as normal text. However, if you hover over the image names you'll see they are links.

glwts!
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Thanks coanda. Links are now underlined so hopefully it will be clearer they are links.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I have just cleaned off the timing belt sticker in the engine bay
It says 01/12/05 138,029 km.
That one has been done for the 5 year interval as it was previously done 29/9/2000.

The next one would have been due the sooner of 01/12/2010 or 238,029 km. This was delayed as the belt condition was ok and I have misplaced the receipt with the exact date and mileage.

Service history has the following mileage indications for 2010.
May 2010 232,274 km
Oct 2010 242,840 km

If the cam belt was done between those dates, the next one will be due on the 5 yearly interval around May-August 2015.
Currently mileage is around 333,400 km so, guessing until I find the receipt, the next one could be due on the 100,000km interval at around 338,029 km.

My other MR2 turbo has already become my daily driver this year, so the car for sale is only being driven about once every 2-3 weeks to keep it in running order.

Hope this helps the guesswork when the next cambelt is due.
As mentioned in the advert, the price assumed the cambelt would need to be done this year if the buyer used the car alot.
SrSilkie

Post by SrSilkie »

rev3gtturbo wrote:If it does not sell I could always take off parts I know my other rev3 turbo will need eventually and scrap the rest.
Be a shame to scrap it, but it will not be sitting on my driveway for months.

I hope the right buyer comes along for this one, try keep the paintwork repairs cheap then maybe to use as a track car. It would be a real shame to see another hit the scrap yard.

Good luck with the sale :thumleft:
Black 94' GT-S Turbo
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Now taxed for another 6 months until 31st October 2014.

This is the last time I will be taxing this car .... end of an era.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

It failed the Mot this morning because the offside rear subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)

The underseal has peeled and there is a hole the size of a cigarette packet.
It needs a square plate welding in after the exhaust is dropped to get at the affected area.
Estimate to do this is 200-250 plus vat.

Anyone interested in buying the car in its current condition for £1200 ?
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

PM'd
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

Sold pending payment
Feedback Bot

Post by Feedback Bot »

This Sale has been completed. The Buyer was Rev5GT

Return to “MR2s for Sale”