Going to buy a facelift MK3

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: Going to buy a facelift MK3

Post by toxo »

Yeah, that was very straight forward. The problems have all been with the potential replacements!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Have found another suitable contender but it's fecking miles away, so getting another IMOC member to check it out for me. Fingers crossed I'll have a suitable replacement by the end of the week!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

where is miles away?

If its down south my way happy to go have a look first for ya :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Liverpool! But blue2 is on the case
RST

Post by RST »

How frustrating -I know ZZW30's are quite common, but because they are I remember it very difficult to find a decent one! People treat them like any small car after a few years, but want a premium for them botched up.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

The Liverpool one fell through due to the owner being an idiot and trying to extort more money out of me after I'd offered them their asking price in cash by holding the tax disc to ransom. Shame, it was low miles with a decent main dealer service history.

But I've got my eye on another now which is a much higher spec... But they all seem to be up north!
RST

Post by RST »

Always the problem looking: Budget versus travel costs.

I remember seeing one outwardly nice MK3 local to my parents (3.5hr drive each way), quite honestly advertised by a girl who not got a clue. Looked a nice car from the ad, the moss on the roof gave it away when I saw it on the drive.

At least I helped the girl out while I was there, helped put the battery on charge, explained the alarm and she needed a service, think I even left a spare bottle of cleaner for the soft top and some black wax as I don't have a black car now but it was in the boot -someone else car, not mine.

...Service and stamped history I believe almost nothing now, seen it faked too easy. Go by the person selling.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I've always asked Toyota for the service history if someone says it's got one before I even think about going to view. At the very least it has records of any warranty work.
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

toxo wrote:The Liverpool one fell through due to the owner being an idiot and trying to extort more money out of me after I'd offered them their asking price in cash by holding the tax disc to ransom.

This one? http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

It's listed a FWD - obviously knows his car the way he knows how to negotiate.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Now the next one I was arranging to view this week has been sold over the weekend... goddamnit!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Finally!!

RST

Post by RST »

Sweet! Quite a nice colour for them also. Did you get an SMT or was it manual in the end?

...one more Q: did you find one with a set of matching tyres? I think every one I saw either had different ones or ditch finders. I found out to my cost -if they're cheap tyres don't risk it, change them ASAP! After that sit back and enjoy.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Manual and the rears match - they are RE04s fitted by Toyota!
RST

Post by RST »

Cool!

...You put allot of faith in dealerships though. My local one wouldn't touch any MR2's. One of the reasons I'm happy to see "indie" garages on the service book when I buy. LoL

Hope you get on good with it :thumleft: Always nice to have a new motor on the drive :mrgreen:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

RE040s still fitted? You have my commiserations :(
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Much too late in the day now - but here is Tiff's thoughts on the smt MK3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESdijwHa-jM
Some fool has messed with the sound track but its a positive review from when top gear was about cars.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Went manual in the end then?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Did indeed :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”