Jump Starting - How Not To Do It...!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jasper

Jump Starting - How Not To Do It...!

Post by jasper »

My idiot brother connected the jumps leads to the battery the wrong way round. It was like Bonfire Night, sparks flying everywhere. We eventually got the car started (with the leads the correct way around) but now the meter on the dash doesn't read as it used to. Normally the needle sat towards the right hand side, now about 3/4's of the way along. Sometimes less if lights, etc are drawing power. It also fluctuates when the indicators are on. I've checked the battery and it's fine, the alternator is producing enough power too. Anyone out there know what damage may of occcurred...? ](*,)
welly_59

Re: Jump Starting - How Not To Do It...!

Post by welly_59 »

mine acts in just the same way as yours. i thought it was normal
RedWitch

Post by RedWitch »

Mine is exactly the same, twitches about a bit depending what's on
Demon - AW11

Post by Demon - AW11 »

mine does it to mang :)

btw slap your brother upsides teh head also!
System-G

Post by System-G »

My needle sits towards the full (about 3/4) most of the time. When I have the indicators on it moves up and down along with the "clicking" sound :lol: Doesn't budge when other electrics are on though...
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
jasper

Post by jasper »

It never used to do that before he"helped"...! :( I thought that he may of damaged something electrically...? Not really au fait with the mechanics, just drive it with a big grin. :D I even got the guys to take a look when it went in for it's MOT but they couldn't find the problem either....! Looks like I will just have to live with it then, annoying though.
Blokey

Post by Blokey »

....this sounds normal to me too. Try holding the revs at around 3K in neutral and then put the indicators on - the needle shouldn't move anywhere near as much. If it doesn't then it's fine - otherwise the regulator in the alternator may be on the way out - not that it's worth replacing ahead of time, it's only really worth replacing when the alternator packs up completely - heralded by the dash lighting up like a Christmas Tree.

B.
jasper

Post by jasper »

Cheers Guys. I'll just have to live with it. Not a problem, just annoys me. It's not he alternator as I've had a new one on since.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”