Wheels

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

monster red

Wheels

Post by monster red »

Thinking of upgrading my wheels from standard.

Anyone know what the Max size that will fit without too much modification.

Also recommendations for suppliers.

Cheers
Paul
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Wheels

Post by Lauren »

Personally i wouldn't recommend going over 15" rims if you want to keep a sembelance of the handling of the car.

Read this thread if you want to know why:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15623
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
RedWitch

Post by RedWitch »

If you go any bigger than 15"s the handling will be affected since it will not be possible to fully recover the geometry.

I just bought a set of 15" Wolfrace Force-8 7 spokers in silver chrome from Rochford tyres @ £200 the set of 4, plus 195/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza 720 from mytyres @ £148 set of 4
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Depends on what you want out of the car.

If you want good trackday performance, stick with 14" wheels. If you want the car to look good, you can go for 15" (apparently it doesn't affect the handling that much) or 16" (but I personally don't recommend 16" wheels at all).

I know 'cos my car came with 16" wheels. They look nice but the handling isn't very good. I've now bought some early 14" pepperpot wheels for trackdays. I've done trackdays with both sets of tyres and wheels. The car is far happier (and quicker) on the 14" wheels.

HTH
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

:twisted: If you want to look bad-ass tho' you can squeeze 17"'s on (if not lowered) This is the Maximum - as in your question.
I don't do track days, and suspension is iffy anyway so handling not an issue till thats fixed. I haven't lost the car tho on corners in the wet ...yet.
:-k It depends if you want a certain 'look' 8) or performance \:D/
The choice is yours............
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

mr2mk1chick wrote::twisted: If you want to look bad-ass tho' you can squeeze 17"'s on (if not lowered)

17" wheels look silly on a Mk1! You dont need to buy tyres, you just need to buy some giant elastic bands! :clown:
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

Icsunonove wrote:
mr2mk1chick wrote::twisted: If you want to look bad-ass tho' you can squeeze 17"'s on (if not lowered)

17" wheels look silly on a Mk1! You dont need to buy tyres, you just need to buy some giant elastic bands! :clown:

oooh - nice elastic bands tho' lol!
cant wait to fit nice chromed 19" 's with spinners :tongue: (joking!)
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

:lol: You better not, I'll never talk to you again! :evil:

I know you are just dying to "chav" up your car, leave it alone, it's lovely! :D

(Think I may start a campaign: "Save the Tango car from that mad woman in Leicester")

P.S Why don't you buy a Vauxhall Nova instead (or a Renault 5 :wink: )? :tongue:

:Rabbit:
russgregg

17's

Post by russgregg »

like it's already been said - 17's will fit on the car but handling does suffer (it's the posing aspect really) i have had 205/40/17's on my mk1 and can get full lock but they will arch on the front on a hard enough bump.
I personally didn't think they affected the ride much - just the handling!
15's definitely are a lot simpler though (and more satisfying) - no doubt about that

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”