New owner: Winter tyres, Stagger and 14 inch wheels?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

IanParkhouse

New owner: Winter tyres, Stagger and 14 inch wheels?

Post by IanParkhouse »

Picked myself up an X reg SMT yesterday for winter use while the MK1 hibernates, I've a couple of questions about wheels and tyres if anybodies got any advice.

I'd like to fit winter tyres, I've a spare pair of 14 inch BBS in the garage will 14 fit over the brakes?

How do people feel about the stagger between the front and rear would it matter if I dropped the rears to 195 width?
Ekona

Re: New owner: Winter tyres, Stagger and 14 inch wheels?

Post by Ekona »

Definitely don't change the 20mm stagger, you'll end up with a massively oversteery car.

As to whether 14s clear the brakes, I believe they will but only if you have the correct offsets. Seeing as how you have the wheels, I'd whip a front off and see.
IanParkhouse

Post by IanParkhouse »

You think dropping the stagger to 10mm will cause a big issue? I've a MK1 with a 2zz engine so I'm used to oversteer on power but I guess your talking lift off oversteer?
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Yes, massively. The mk1 and mk2 were designed for same width tyres, the mk3 most definitely was not and it's an incredibly lairy driving experience with less or zero stagger, and I don't mean fun lairy :pale:
IanParkhouse

Post by IanParkhouse »

Ok Cheers. FYI The Mk2 does also has stagger.

Doesn't look like I can get 205/55/r14 so I'll look out for some 15s

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”