Geo's Rev 5 Turbo

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: Geo's Rev 5 Turbo

Post by Magic Beans »

None. A few bits shook themselves loose but nothing serious. Josh (SwissHeavy) lost a wing mirror, but it was his fault because he doesn't live around there. That's the opinion of the person who hit his car at least :lol:

The Ring would be good but it's that niggling thought of what happens if you bin the car while you're there. :pale:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Good testiment to reliable builds then :) ..Hah... That's typical eh!

Yeah exactly.. It's scary when you look into the charges etc. track closure per hr + railings + pick up etc.. It's thousands :/

It does put you off to an extent.
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

Stunning car really reminds me of my old girl ( it would as jason bought my skirts rear bumper and lights :D )...

Makes me want another

#-o
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

Recognise car #2...was it from Yorkshire. Didn't realise was for sale.

Glad your back with a passion for them again
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Rob you know you should get another ;) .. 110%! I didn't know that they had came from your old car..

Yeah Rik, I picked it up from Barnsley area. Haha yeah it was only Mentioned in passing the car was for sale and I jumped on it.
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Good read dude :thumleft:

Mine may be reunited with its old wheels for JAE :D
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Haha yas! Get them on it mate.. It looks ace with them!
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

I'm only allowed to borrow them unfortunately so they will have to go back onto the V6 after JAE :(
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Hmmm... Usually I would say get her told lol.. but your mrs is brand new so fair play buddy. I'm really tempted to just insure mine and come
Down for it man. Bit of a trek and I don't fancy taking my car to Grimsby college every day if I'm down there...
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

I forgot to mention that as with every modified car that this has came with its fair share of teething problems.. It lasted 250miles home from Barnsley and decided to sheer the pipe supplying the clutch off when I got into my street. I then blew some boost pipes off here and there when bedding the tires in... so they were tightened u properly.

However performance wise the car was nowhere near its potential. It was being mechanically controlled (boost wise) by the wastegate instead of on the electronic boost control for safety reasons. Those being that teething problems from before I owned it hadn't been properly ironed out. Parts had been changed and the map not altered to suit. Don't get me wrong it was still safe running as it was at 1.4-1.5bar and was very quick.

But nowhere near fast enough.

So first off my plan was to use what I already had and get that running right and see how I felt about its performance.

Fensport got a call I booked in for a Tuesday and Wednesday in June. Sorted! So I then called up Simon at YVS and told him my plans and arranged to travel to him on the Monday (Selby area). The plan was to get an oil and filter change, full car check over and get him to fit the CRW CV joints I had ordered from the states. This also meant I could take a break from the 400 mile drive to Fensport.

Night before I set off I packed up the car - well I mean the entire passenger side was covered in parts and the "frunk" too... as you can see my clothes went there :P

CV's going in at Simon's...

On the Monday night I stayed at a good friends house in Sheffield and set off to Fensport on Tuesday morning..

Arrived at around 930am ready to get the car set up properly.

As you can see my car was not alone...

First things first was to get a full Geometry set up done as the suspension was "hanging like a washing"

If I come across the slip with my before and after set up settings ill post it as the camber, height and toe settings were all over the place.

Once this was done and i was happy with how it drove (which took most of Tuesday ill add.. :P and my fault) it was now MAP TIME!

Wednesday morning and its ready to go out and get a live road map..

I had asked Adrian to set it up properly and not go half hearted on the boost.. which he was more than happy to do.

The result was that I had a maximum boost of 2.15Bar.. and in his experienced opinion the car was producing very high 500 low 600 hp.

Now I know I haven't put up the full spec yet but at this point the car is still running standard cams... simply as it kept it easy to drive on the road with traffic etc. Plus I wanted to see how it got on before I threw anymore money at it.

I was delighted with the result.. although Adrian did say next time I wanted it mapped he will have to book the airfield nearby as its far too much for the road. Given he knows I don't intend to keep the car as it was then (power wise) this would be a great idea.

So after 3 days of being away and many parts installed or set up... it was time to pay my bill and go home. Not without a few goodies though. I picked up a TRD Gearknob to replace my Chrome Razo ball one that my Dad has been eyeing up for his Skyline..

(ill get a picture of it but its perfect.. it may sound silly but its so much better for changing with)

400miles later... £150 of fuel... 1000's of dead flies... one very embarrassed 458 owner and running out of Revs on the A1(M) I made it home...

Just in time for a few early birthday presents..

A pair of these courtesy of my parentals:

275 MT ET Streets on my AVS's that id picked up originally for putting slicks on...

I also got this plus the full kit for it (wiring, solenoids, lines and heater etc) from my best mate Marc.

As you can see in this photo I had debadged the back of the car just before going to Fensport... just in time for a sticker on the back to break it up ;)

So that's a little more into journey ive started to take... the plans for this car are massive but im taking it one step at a time.

Full spec to come on this once I collate it all up..

Until then ill throw in some more pictures of it at home... some with the real BOSS of the garage...

some old and some more recent...

and incase you haven't noticed... I share my name with my Dad.

p.s excuse the garage as its not finished yet inside in the photos.. as you can see :P
Last edited by GeorgeL on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

Can you PM me details of this yvs in Selby??
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

pm sent mate
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Stunning well sorted mr2 congrats! Also loving the R32.

Such a shame they don't make cars like this anymore!
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

DB Mr2 wrote:Stunning well sorted mr2 congrats! Also loving the R32.

Such a shame they don't make cars like this anymore!

Cheers bud, its getting there... this winter will be when it will get a lot sorted I reckon if I can get the money together.

I know exactly what you mean... cars these days are just not half as good or as fun as 90's Jap
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

:shock: She be crazy :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Awesome motor! Nice one. :clap:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Your car and iecku's V6 turbo are making me want my old car back :lol:

Seriously though, what a machine it is :thumleft:
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Haha enjoy the Westfield.. Track it and have a blast.. And then get your old car back :) or build another...

How does the new car compare drive wise to your mr2? Or have you not really had the chance to drive enough yet..

I have had many a second car over and above the mr2 and tried many a car and nothing gives me the same feedback or as enjoyable a drive.
I can't get away from them lol
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

As much as I loved Mule II I wouldn't want it back. It's a victim of it's own styling really, as you were always worried about damaging that paint etc and the wheel/tyre combo was less than ideal for ultimate handling. If I were to do it again it would be a very different animal, with performance and handling as the sole focus and aesthetics based purely around function. Once that's sorted I'd make it look as good as possible but never at the expense of the business side of things. I think iecku has it pretty much spot on what I'd choose to do.

To be honest though I can't ever see it happening, unless I find myself with a lottery win and just cars just for sh*ts and giggles. Like when you finish games such as Gran Turismo and have money to burn, so make mental cars for fun :lol:

Handling wise it couldn't be more different. The steering is so quick and sensitive it's crazy. I'm not done any miles in it really other than the drive back, so I've yet to scope it all out and see what I've got. The brakes are awful in comparison to my old Carbotech setup, although i suspect they need bleeding and sorting. The alignment is way out too, as the previous owner fitted a wide track kit to it and obviously never got around to getting it dialed in before selling. Another easy fix though and one which should improve the handling no end. I'm still trying to work out what everything in the engine bay does and I've yet to find the dipstick :lol:
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Another good read dude :thumleft:

Where's your dads capri gone?

EDIT*** I can see it in the background :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”