MK3 to V8 Conversion

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PaulM

Re: MK3 to V8 Conversion

Post by PaulM »

Yep all done in the garage at home, in my spare time, which isnt very spare at moment as we've jsut had our first baby.
But hoping to finish it soon.

In regard to balance, I'll be fitting a set of coilovers and corner weighting it, so distribution will be 50/50, althgouh with the tank over the front that will change during driving, but until I do the measurements, wont know for sure the % change from full to empty which is about 60Kg
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

PaulM wrote:Cheers guys, is not been that tricky, jjust time consuming to make sure everything is thought through.
Plus i bought a fire damaged shell first to see if it would really work before going ahead with cutting into a good car

I admire your modesty, don't sell yourself short.

PaulM wrote:but until I do the measurements, wont know for sure the % change from full to empty which is about 60Kg

I take it the tank is 60L? (nice done btw) 1L of water = 1kg so yeah, that kind of stands true although I suspect it won't be exact as the tank looks to be slightly behind the front axle line? Did you foam fill the tank btw?

Watching this with interest :)
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Yeah I've rubber lined lined and foam filled, most ofthe tank is inside the wheel base as you say, so it'll limit the effect it has, i'll probably set up on half tank weight and go from there.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

why 50/50 if you dont mind me asking?
i'm not aware of any mid engined car that has a 50/50 weight distibution, always bias to the rear
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Simply beacuse thats how I've always set my cars up initially, then done small adujstments depending upon how the car responds ( this is based on kit cars that I've built).
it'll be intersting to see how its turns out, as now theres more weight, there should be a bigger transfer under accel and decel, and obviously theres damper settings to tweak in relation to that as well.

its one big frightening experiment ! :mrgreen:
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

How have you got on with this since the last post?
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

This was a very cool and insane project! three years later it could be smoking rubber on the streets or under a pile dust in a garage...

I would like to know what happend to it as well.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”