Is the Mk3 underpowered?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mike N

Re: Is the Mk3 underpowered?

Post by Mike N »

Any nice photo's?
Ryan6926

Post by Ryan6926 »

Would I say they're underpowered?
Personally yes I would although it's counteracted by the fact that they're nowhere near as heavy as the mk2's

As for the styling of them I'm not a huge fan of the front of them I still think that the mk2 is the most aggressively styled of the 3 although I'm biased

I think I'd have one myself if I could afford the 2ZZ swap but in standard form I'd not bother

A friend of mine is addicted to Toyota and is currently I believe trying to install a BEAMS into a mk3 although I couldn't say how far he's got with it
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

MK3 winner in both races of the mr2 championship at the weekend :wink:
Mike N

Post by Mike N »

So no pic's then?

Is there a big brake conversion for all the hot engine conversions?
kayjay0_7

Post by kayjay0_7 »

Mike N wrote:So no pic's then?

Is there a big brake conversion for all the hot engine conversions?

No pictures yet as I'm still sourcing all the bits to do mine

get on over to spyderchat, there are a few on there
Loque

Post by Loque »

Whilst I cant attest to driving one, there was a 2ZZ Mk3 that went on here for about £3k. Buy a completed conversion and profit. It'll be more reliable than a mk2 as well. It's definitely where I'd have gone had I elected to stay with the marque.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Mike N wrote:Any nice photo's?

Mine on its initial start up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h16QwWUE ... e=youtu.be[/url]
Tedtiler

Post by Tedtiler »

Never understood the mk3. They spent all that money making it properly light and handle and then give it an engine not fit for an avensis.

real shame.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

But the engine was fit for an Avensis. And a Corolla. and a Celica.

It was (and is) a decent enough little engine, precat issues aside. The car didn't need masses of power to be fun, and having driven big power examples I prefer the car when it's got less. More driving, less hanging on.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Having owned and tracked all three, I'd agree that the Mk3 is the best handling.

If you've coming from a Mk2 Turbo and enjoy the torque, look at a Turbo conversion. I've had a PE turbo kit on mine @ 10psi and 220-230bhp for nearly 7 years now with a standard '03 engine block, 6 speed box and brakes etc and no issues with the extra power and torque.

Power to weight ratio is very close to my old Rev2 Mk2 with ~300bhp.

However, a standard Mk3 on earlier 15" alloys and tyres is a very fun and progressive car when driven enthusiastically - that's my preferred setup for trackdays as the later facelift cars on wider rears on 16" alloys pushed the balance to far to understeer IMO.
RST

Post by RST »

Just to chip in. I've never had a mk1 though...

MK3 manual was fun enough -I felt it was massively underpowered but still chippy in the corners so prepared to make progress over MK2.

Second SMT MK3 was still massively underpowered. I did like the MK3 though as a small car, I couldn't fit much luggage in there but when creative could fit in more then enough when creative.

...went back to MK2 for 2 reasons:

The MK3 just didn't cut it for me engine-wise. Plenty of poke but just not enough on demand.
Cornering was good -but in my area cornering is usuually slow, you just don't know whether there's a car, truck, tractor, caravan or livestock in the other side of the road (read this all you that come up to the highlands!!)

...I actually have a big soft spot for the MK3 when it has a hard top although I personally felt the wheelbase just a tad too short. I always wanted to swap in a 3SGTE. It just wasn't the car for me.

...nice car for bombing about -it just didn't feel fast / sporty for me and way too slow.

i've been looking at GT86 for long enough -still the same and a lovely car. It's too underpowered for me. You might be ablt to go round corners quick -but you can't in my area so I want something can pull us on the straights LoL.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”