MR2 SW20 RHD Power Steering Quick Steer Pinion.

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marty J

Re: MR2 SW20 RHD Power Steering Quick Steer Pinion.

Post by Marty J »

Well I am kind of glad that you are pleased with the mod, but this has made me wonder if this is just a one off ?

Can anybody confirm if the power steering works without a engine or the main ecu (not the power steering ecu) ?
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

If the pinion works with the PS disabled, then I'd say either a fault has developed during fitting, or something hasn't been reinstalled quite right.

As above my understanding of the PS system is that it simply reduces assistance to the steering rack at higher road speeds (where you don't need or necessarily want it), and doesn't include some of the features of modern cars like positioning / steering angle sensors.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

When I receive my upgraded power steering pinion I will try in my car. I cannot drive it as the engine is out. Hopefully the power steering ecu will still control the rack. This should help determine if there is a issue with the steering returning to the center.

I am inclined to agree with Rosssco about the install. If it works as good as Dantheman states without power assistance then (finger crossed) this was just a installation error.
lmt

Post by lmt »

any updates on the rest of the pinions?

still waiting on my
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

lmt wrote:any updates on the rest of the pinions?

still waiting on my

I should have yours in my possession by Friday. I will contact you as soon as I get my hands on it. Sorry for the delay.
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

Anyone else installed / tested the pinion?

dantheman, did you resolve the PS issues?
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Nope, just disabled it. Felt better without power steering, than with it before the install.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I am still pushing to get the rest of pinion A and pinion B into production. I hope to have some news tomorrow.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Pinion B should (fingers crossed) go into production in around four weeks time along with the rest of pinion A.
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

So when you need the part to be sent to you
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

If your MR2 is a daily driven car then do not remove anything just yet.

It would be best to wait for these to be produced before sending your pinion to be upgraded.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

UPDATE

This update is for customers waiting on pinions A and B.

"Parts are not ready to go yet. The sparked parts are done but we are still working on those that are milled. If all goes to plan they should all go to heat treatment at the end of this week. Sorry for the delay. Based on this they should be complete w/c: 6/5."
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Good news and bad news.

The good news is that the rest of pinions A and B should be ready tomorrow.

The bad news is that some of the staff dealing with the pinions are taking a one week holiday.

I will phone them on the 3rd of June to make sure they don't forget us.

People who have paid for their pinions to be upgraded will receive a email from me soon.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

The rest of the pinions A and B have been manufactured.

Tomorrow I will email those people waiting for them on what to do next.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

All parts should be leaving the UK for Ireland on Monday.

mk1rally20v your pinion part will be sent directly from the manufacturer to you tomorrow by courier.

Filthyfil and SFLee has each been sent emails requesting their pinions to be sent to the manufacturer for upgrading.

The rest of the people waiting for their pinion parts in other countries will be sent their parts directly from myself in Ireland. Parts will be sent once payment for shipping has been received. I will try and offer choices on how they will be shipped.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Good news, the remaining pinion parts arrived today. :D
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Below is some info if you was wondering can you swap Type A and B
pinions.

A while back I was asked if a Type A power steering could use a Type B pinion and vice-verse. So I examined a Type A and Type B steering rack and pinion yesterday.

The large bearing that the pinion goes through (sits on the part of the pinion just above the helical thread) are indeed different sizes.

To convert a Type B to Type A would require either a spacer made and Toyota bearing or a completely different bearing with smaller inside diameter.

To convert Type A steering rack to Type B would require machining the rack where the large bearing sits. This would allow the use of the Type B bearing to be installed.

To be honest it would be less of a headache just to go out and purchase a second hand power steering rack of your choice.
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Quick question for those of you in this group buy. When your pinions arrived were they accompanied with a note describing them as a "sample"?
Many thanks. (nothing odd going on I just need to confirm they were all described as samples)
Marty J

91 to 94+ EHPS update how-to for quick ratio pinion

Post by Marty J »

dantheman wrote:I installed the pinion today following that guide. Took about 4 hours to do.

2 observations:

1)The steering is noticably more responsive. Lock to lock before was 3.5 turns, now its 2.66.

2)My power steering is terrible now. It seems to offer assistance about 0.5s after I turn the wheel a significant amount. So i turn the amount I want to, then it kicks in and tries to make me turn more into the corner. The steering wheel also turns by itself when the car is stationary and doesnt return to centre after a corner. Im gonna search for the cause and if I cant find one hopefully pulling a fuse and disabling power steering will solve it. Any ideas what it might be?

I came across this post on mr2oc.com which is interesting. I'm not sure if it would solve your issue. Heading: 91 to 94+ EHPS update how-to for quick ratio pinion

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=436121
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

For those who have not yet installed their upgraded pinion, I wanted to share my recent experiences with my install.

My car is a rev2 turbo, it still has no engine installed so I'm not sure if that would affect anything and is up in the air on four axle stands.

I installed my upgraded pinion in my MR2 a few days ago. It did not go according to plan. The steering pulled to the right and would try and stay there.

I did some searching on the internet and discovered a term called unbalanced steer assist.

"Unbalanced power assist. Seal leaks in the control valve or off-center steering may route hydraulic pressure into one side or the other of the boost cylinder piston causing the steering to want to turn itself to one side. if the pull suddenly vanishes an imbalance in the power steering system is to blame. "

I have a rev3 rack from Harper on the mr2.ie site.

I installed his upgraded pinion with a new seal into the rack and greased all necessary parts.

To center the rack off the car, I counted the rotations and once half way was met I knew it was roughly center.

The rack was installed into my MR2 and fluid was added. The steering was turned lock to lock a few times.

Power was switched on with the steering centered and I could hear the pump activating. After a few seconds I switched off power and topped up the fluid again.

Power was switched on again and the upgraded power steering worked like it should.

I would have to say that it would seem to be a installation error or damaged seals that causes the steering to malfunction.

As I said at the start, my first try was unsuccessful.

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”