The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Magic Beans »

RedMR² wrote:Nice work Mr beans. :thumleft:

Mine currently has screw mounted plates front and back, but on the current project, they'll be stuck on. Loads cleaner.

I've taken my bumper off and put it back on a few times. More annoying that tinting T bar glass.... :lol:

Agreed. I'd quite enjoy doing the tinting, as I reckon I'd find it quite soothing :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Time to remove the bumper again then I guess 8-[

One of the things I want to do as part of the undertray work is to address the flare of the bumper at the outer edges. A standard it looks like this

This is it pulled in 25mm, which I think looks about right. Thoughts? :-k

Off with the wide-arches then. Here's a comparison of the two together (one off and one on)

The car's done barely any miles, only been driven in the dry and cleaned a LOT, yet still there's crap build-up?! :-s

This is how much arch is cut out to accomodate the wider wheels and arches. The flaps which remain will be perfect for riveting the custom liners to I reckon :-k

Sidelights out

Rub strips off

These are a swine to remove the first time around, so I replaced them last time around with something a little less seasoned

And it's off, again :lol:

The first job will be mounting the plate holder, then making a template for the undertray. I've also got the remainder of the original pant for the car from Scott, so the little bits can be touched up ahead of Le Mans and the season ahead :)
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

It's supposed to going together for lemans not taking it apart ;)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Speculate to accumulate :wink:
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

It's coming along nicely its a horrible job taking the bumper off isn't it , I managed my front end (bumper,both wings) in about 1 1/2 hrs :)

What chargecooler are you currently running is it the rouge radtech kit :-k
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I don't mind doing it to be honest, as it's much easier given the lights, new bolts and Border bumper. Stock bumpers which have never been off on the other hand... 8-[

Yep, it's the Rogue Radtec kit. Works really well and is well built :thumleft:

Tonight's job was fitting the license plate holder while the bumper off. I wanted to keep the holes nice and clean and to avoid having to use fixings which might come loose, or some other dramas. So I thought it made sense to use the existing threaded holes in the holder, which the plate normally screws into, however reversed. Before that I glued the threads in place, just in case they decide to come loose and spin once it's mounted.

The holder then get thoroughly cleaned, ready for mounting. Let's hope this goes well...

Measurements taken five times the first hole was drilled. No going back now 8-[

Second hole drilled.

It's on and centred to a tolerance of <0.5mm, which is my allowed limit on things :lol:

Mock-up of the finished article, however without Mule v1's plate of course :wink:

Silicone sealant around the bolt heads and any holes, to avoid a build up of dirt/rust in the future. Hopefully :-k

I've also ordered the aly sheet for the undertray, which should be with me in the next few days. It's partially cut to size, meaning the outer edge will be a true line and I don't have to worry about cutting as straight :lol:
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

nice work there phil. plate holder looks neat.
is that the size plate your going for or a smaller one?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Yeah. I took me ordering the wrong size as a sign to go with my gut and get an import sized plate. There's actually plenty of clearance for air around it, so I'm not worried about starving the CC rad at all. :)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Lucky I'd say - import plate looks mint mounted there. Fantastic job :thumleft:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

You're probably right :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Good job dude, looks spot on, and the best location for the plate.

But then, I'm slightly biased. :mrgreen:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Good job sir

Look forward to seeing it back on the car
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I'll post this here too, as I'm keen to get some wisdom on this...

Ordered the aly sheeting for the undertray, I opted for 2mm, to reduce flex. The sheet is being partially cut to shape before shipping, so it will be the right width and length, leaving just the contours to cut into it once it arrives

The edge which meets the tyres is intentionally being left longer, as I plan to create a 50mm (ish) flaps which will be folded down to act as a speed flap. However I'm unclear as to what angles it should be at and what the aerodynamic principles/aims are for these flaps

Would the ideal configuration be the flap running perfectly vertical and running perfectly in line with the outer edge of the tyre, or would toeing it in or out have some benefit? I'm not sure if their purpose is simply to create a vertical surface for the air to hit, or whether they channel the air in a specific direction (out of the arches etc)?
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

Most are vertical ( 90deg to the under tray) so id go for that.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

That's seems to be the way to go. I'm wondering if there needs to be any flex in them though, to react differently at various speeds :-k Or I could be massively over-analysing the whole thing as usual :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

New plates arrived today. I've only fitted the rear for now, as I've got the undertray work to do on the front bumper.

The old tatty plate

Et voila

The aly sheeting is due to be delivered tomorrow, so I've got some serious fabrication work ahead of me 8-[
craig

Post by craig »

Much better! :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

Looks really good! Hooray for sticky pads :D
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
Ben

Post by Ben »

Also, I think you need a wider garage :-k

Previous:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

It's about 50cm out but it is fairly tight in there. Maybe around 40cm each side :neutral: That's why the walls are covered in insulation for the most part and carpet (left over from when we had the house redone) on the parts where the doors open.

Return to “Member Profiles”