Distributer cap for my tubby

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rory

Distributer cap for my tubby

Post by Rory »

After an inspection of my distrubter cap a few weeks ago I was horrified! The contacts were almost completely worn away and had loads of corosion. I scraped the contacts clean with a screwdriver and it made a huge difference to my performance. Im now looking at getting a new cap and rotor arm.
My question is does my 1993 Rev 2 tubby have the late 5mm or early 8mm leads? What year/rev does fensport class as early or late? If its not possable to tell by the year of my car what do I look for on the leads?

Thanks

Rory
JJ

Re: Distributer cap for my tubby

Post by JJ »

Hi Rory,

Technically yours should have the later 5mm leads... ! these were fitted to the rev 2 + turbos ... normally 92 onwards.

Even if it has been retrofitted with the larger leads, its still wouldn't work unless someone has bodged the king lead in from the coil as the coil fitment "king lead" only has the provisions for the smaller 5mm lead too !

So yup, 5mm.

You can try buying one from your local motorist outlet.. normally blueprint parts are distributed to these places, which is the exact same part that fensport distribute.

Both normally asiprated and turbos use the same ignition system... so if your looking for a cap and rotor arm, quote a 94 model MR2 GTi - 3SGE engine to be sure your issued with the later type distributer cap.

:wink:
Rory

Post by Rory »

Thanks JJ. Ill tray my local car parts place then if the cap and rotor are difinatly the same as NA MR2s. Do you know if Halfords sell caps and rotors for an NA MR2? If so it may be easier for me to go to them rather than my local car parts place because they will have to order the parts in.

Rory
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

JJ wrote:Hi Rory,

Technically yours should have the later 5mm leads... ! these were fitted to the rev 2 + turbos ... normally 92 onwards.

Even if it has been retrofitted with the larger leads, its still wouldn't work unless someone has bodged the king lead in from the coil as the coil fitment "king lead" only has the provisions for the smaller 5mm lead too !

So yup, 5mm.

You can try buying one from your local motorist outlet.. normally blueprint parts are distributed to these places, which is the exact same part that fensport distribute.

Both normally asiprated and turbos use the same ignition system... so if your looking for a cap and rotor arm, quote a 94 model MR2 GTi - 3SGE engine to be sure your issued with the later type distributer cap.

how sure are you of this mate?? ie, the 5mm or 8mm?? im after a rotor arm and dizzy cap as well!
cant i just go down to toyota with my chassis number???? surely they would get the right ones wouldnt they??? (ive a 92 rev2 turbo)
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Rory wrote:After an inspection of my distrubter cap a few weeks ago I was horrified! The contacts were almost completely worn away and had loads of corosion.

Heh heh - this is exactly the reason why I make the copper contact dizzy caps.

I scraped the contacts clean with a screwdriver and it made a huge difference to my performance. Im now looking at getting a new cap and rotor arm.
My question is does my 1993 Rev 2 tubby have the late 5mm or early 8mm leads? What year/rev does fensport class as early or late? If its not possable to tell by the year of my car what do I look for on the leads?

If yours is a 93 car, it should definitely be a later cap.

A quick test - if you have to unclip something to get the HT lead off, the dizzy cap, and you've got standard MrT leads, you've got a later cap
JJ

Post by JJ »

jimGTS wrote:
how sure are you of this mate?? ie, the 5mm or 8mm?? im after a rotor arm and dizzy cap as well!
cant i just go down to toyota with my chassis number???? surely they would get the right ones wouldnt they??? (ive a 92 rev2 turbo)

Visit toyota, sure you can... but some of us, toyota aren't around the corner - so parts distributer is the next best place and 90% don't list any turbo components for the MR2. Some list the Gti though and since they share the same ignition system... it makes it easier.

Rev 2's were uprated with the coil, king lead, plug leads, dist cap and rotor ... I've seen quite a great deal of rev 1/2/3's and 100% of the rev 2's I've worked on, have the 5mm leads / dist cap.

Don't get me wrong, i've worked on rev 2/3s with TRD type leads ( thicker 8mm+ ), but they're attachment to the dist cap has always still been the same 5mm.

Gazboy

Post by Gazboy »

Fensport helped me over the phone for which leads and dizzy i needed, can't see why they can't do the same for you.

Return to “Mechanical”