[Mk2] [Generic] PAS Code 13 - not in my BGB!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

shinny

[Mk2] [Generic] PAS Code 13 - not in my BGB!

Post by shinny »

I've been having lots of Power Steering problems recently, and after two replacement pumps I cannot shake error code 13. It's not in the diagnostics section of any of my manuals:

http://shinny.co.uk/toyota/MR2_SW_1993_ ... agnosi.pdf

Anyone know what it means or how to find out?? It's doing my nut in!
shinny

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] PAS Code 13 - not in my BGB!

Post by shinny »

What this code is not:

1) It is not related to bushes - my car's loom doesn't having wiring for that
2) It is not related to the relay - shorting it out made no difference

What it does look like it's related to is current through the pump. With everything connected correctly, the pump would start up slowly and click off very quickly with code 13. If I disconnect the small 4-pin plug to the pump (which on my car only appears to connect 1 wire, which senses the current running through the pump) then the pump runs full speed for much longer before throwing code 11 "No electric current being supplied to power steering motor".
shinny

Post by shinny »

Well, after mucking about this afternoon with a multimeter and adding some resistances to the MTH line on the PAS computer, I am relatively sure code 13 is "Abnormally high current being supplied to power steering motor", the same as code 22. I'm not sure why there's a duplication on the code, but there you go. If I increase the resistance on MTH before going into the computer, code 13 goes away (in my case, I need about 2kΩ) but if I keep on increasing the resistance, eventually code 11 re-appears. As that resistor is simply altering the potential divider feeding the ADC inside the computer (I opened up a spare to check), all the resistor is doing is fooling the computer into thinking there's a little less current going through the pump.

Why my car is having trouble with this, I'm not sure... perhaps there's a resistance wire somewhere in the pump's power circuit that has shorted or something like that. I'm about to solder in a 2.2kΩ resistor into the car and then take it out and see if what works while stationary with the engine off will also work on the road.

Just for reference...
Wiring diagram: http://shinny.co.uk/toyota/MR2_SW_1993_ ... S/ehps.pdf
Diagnostics: http://shinny.co.uk/toyota/MR2_SW_1993_ ... agnosi.pdf
Last edited by shinny on Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shinny

Post by shinny »

<snip>

Double post :oops:
Last edited by shinny on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shinny

Post by shinny »

<snip>

Triple post!! #-o
Last edited by shinny on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Don't forget that the manual you're using is for a USDM rev2 so the PS system will be different. The 2 control units in the frunk changed rev2-rev3 I believe.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
shinny

Post by shinny »

toxo wrote:Don't forget that the manual you're using is for a USDM rev2 so the PS system will be different. The 2 control units in the frunk changed rev2-rev3 I believe.

Yes indeed... although it's still the closest I've ever found #-o
synXero

Post by synXero »

Further proof that shinny will answer any question to do with electronics, and frequently is the only person able to.

Even when he asks the question.
shinny

Post by shinny »

synXero wrote:Further proof that shinny will answer any question to do with electronics, and frequently is the only person able to.

Even when he asks the question.

Hahaha! That had me laughing out loud at the self-service till in Tescos :clap:

Well, I wired up the 2.2k&#937; resistor and it worked perfectly without the engine on, but I immediately got another code 13 when I fired her up. I'm therefore guessing the computer only cares about observing a maximum voltage rather than adjusting for the actual voltage on the car's electrical system. Therefore I simply wired in a 10k&#937; resistor instead and away I went!

Popped down to Tescos and back with no hint of an issue from the PAS at all. First journey in many months when it's worked as it should! I'm yet to have the car over 40mph, so I'm not 100% sure I've fixed it yet... but it's looking darn promising so far \:D/
shinny

Post by shinny »

Took the tubby to work today, which involves a blast down the motorway. Everything seemed to work perfectly - PAS turned off and on again fine, no silly light steering at speed and finally having PAS to negotiate the 40mph roundabouts by work was a dream \:D/
shinny

Post by shinny »

Just realised this topic was missing an update... a couple of days after my previous post I had another power steering failure (still code 13) so I doubled the resistance on the MTH wire to 20k&#937; and I've not had a problem since.

Well, I say that, but I then had two alternator failures in 2 weeks, both from 90A units. This may or may not have been connected, but I fitted a 120A alt from TCB (who were confused why the other company was selling 90A alts for the MR2 turbo) and that's be fine since too :thumleft:
shinny

Post by shinny »

Bump!

A year on and my previously temperamental PAS has been working perfectly... until the early hours of Sunday morning. I was driving home after taking some long exposure photos when the P/S light suddenly came on, throwing code 22. According to the BGB, that also means "Abnormally high current being supplied to power steering motor". I've not had a moment to look at it and won't do for another week or two. I'm surprised it's not code 13 again, but I guess I'll see what's what when I come back from Glastonbury! I'm hoping it's a simple issue with one of the joints around my extra resistors...

In the mean time, this is one of the photos I got that evening which, I think, was worth it O:)

shinny

Post by shinny »

Yup, getting code 22 again - it's intermittent, generally brought about (or fixed) by bumps, so I guess I need to go and check my wiring mod again...
shinny

Post by shinny »

shinny wrote:Yup, getting code 22 again - it's intermittent, generally brought about (or fixed) by bumps, so I guess I need to go and check my wiring mod again...

This seems to have been sorted by bumping up the resistance to 30kOhm (ie, adding another 10k). In the few days since I soldered that in place I've not had any issue out on the road, although the PAS did once refuse to start when I started the car. (I didn't get a code... I will do if it reoccurs)

Return to “Mechanical”