GT86

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Mike

Re: GT86

Post by Mike »

Erm not really, one was designed and built in the late 80s the other 20 years later, one would expect a fair amount of development and improvement in that time.

Besides, the SW20 has hydraulic power steering pressurised by an electric motor, thats not the same as electric power steering.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

But the steering feel in the MK2 is dreadful, I think we can all agree on that, which was my point.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
craig

Post by craig »

Mike wrote:Erm not really, one was designed and built in the late 80s the other 20 years later, one would expect a fair amount of development and improvement in that time.

Besides, the SW20 has hydraulic power steering pressurised by an electric motor, thats not the same as electric power steering.

^ This.
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

Lauren wrote:But the steering feel in the MK2 is dreadful.

Dreadful is a too strong IMO. Not class-leading (compared to its rivals at the time, and not stripped out special editions :wink:), but it still offers a good amount of feel. Change to a slightly different wheel / tyre combo, and it improves considerably in my eyes. The larger issue is chassis balance, which is not brilliant on standard wheels and suspension (in comparision to the other MR2 mk's)

Comparing to the GT86 is obviously not a far comparision either. Oh and as above, its a fully hydraulic system, just that the pump is drive by an electric motor, rather than off a pump attached to the engine ancillary belt (which would be impractical given the distance between engine and steering system). The PS system is also variable assistance, and I always wondered if that has a potential negative effect on steering feel.. :-k

Anyhoo, like the GT86 (although not driven one) and would have one if I could justify a new car to myself.. Incidently, the GT86 has very similar weight / power / torque characteristics to my old Rev 5 BEAMS mk2, and that was quick enough I felt for everyday use and to have fun in, just needed a good amount to right foot to get the most from it (i.e. not an obvious abundance of torque)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

steering in my rev3 tubby is superb, feels 100 times better with a smaller wheel :thumleft:
toyokid

Gt86

Post by toyokid »

Been enjoying my new GT86 for the last 6 weeks.

Stephen
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

At last, another one! :)
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
John145

Post by John145 »

TBH I'm genuinely surprised by how much positive press this car has been getting...

I'll sum up my opinions:

Steering lazy on centre, do not feel connected. Good off centre. Lot of friction feel which helps oversteer control but normal driving the friction is too much.

Grip level is poor and transition from grip to slip is abrupt. The tyres are not for a sports car! Might sound cliché to say these are the same tyres as a prius but they are and as such are designed for low mu not for transient response...

Handling balance is nice and fun, easy oversteer but this does not imo make a driver's car.

Ride quality is horrendous. Primary ride control (body roll, pitch, heave) is good but the secondary ride quality (shake, head toss, isolation) is really bad! I would not want to drive this car through Belgium to get to the 'ring! The powertrain shake is horrible, felt as though I needed a sports bra!

Interior quality is good for the class, everything falls to hand nicely and the materials used are good.

Visual impact... Doesn't have much. Did not notice anyone look twice at the car I drove (same as the one TG used).

Engine performance? Worst thing about the car imo. Painfully sluggish until you get to 5000rpm at which point it gets a little bit of poke about it but never feels dramatic. The induction noise is loud to 5000rpm and dies off, there's no exhaust sound anywhere!

It is definitely a nearly car for me. Tune the engine mounts, put proper tyres on it (note: not to increase the grip level but for better transient response) and give it a turbo or supercharger. Job done.

I would not part money to get one at the moment. Maybe in 2 years when a model year update is done if the engine is improved...
Loque

Post by Loque »

John145 wrote:Steering lazy on centre, do not feel connected. Good off centre. Lot of friction feel which helps oversteer control but normal driving the friction is too much.

Very well put sir.
John145 wrote:Ride quality is horrendous. Primary ride control (body roll, pitch, heave) is good but the secondary ride quality (shake, head toss, isolation) is really bad! I would not want to drive this car through Belgium to get to the 'ring! The powertrain shake is horrible, felt as though I needed a sports bra!

I'm so glad to hear someone else say this. I thought I was getting really bloody old when I found a similar thing; I actually got out of the car after two hours of driving and felt like I'd jarred my back. It wasn't a 'I'll have a stretch out and I'll be fine' jarr either, it was christ, my back aches, I feel like a pregnant woman and need to lay down. My previous car was on coilovers with a pretty unforgiving setup and even then I never experienced anything close. For me, this was the worst aspect of the car. I can live with stiff as xxxx suspension and crappy ride quality, but only if the car sings to you about what the road is doing and practically drowns you with feedback. The 86 does neither.
John145 wrote:Engine performance? Worst thing about the car imo. Painfully sluggish until you get to 5000rpm at which point it gets a little bit of poke about it but never feels dramatic. The induction noise is loud to 5000rpm and dies off, there's no exhaust sound anywhere!

I made the brutal mistake of putting the window down and driving through a tunnel at one point. I thought someone had turned a Babyliss on inside the cabin.

Despite all this, I've ended up with the belief that it's just a modern car, and well... All modern cars that I have driven are xxxx. I'm destined to drive around in nothing newer than a 2. Humph. Having said this, at the moment a proper AE86 is on my christmas list...
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Saw one on the M1 on sunday, conclusion is there not that fast top end either although this old man thought he was the fastest thing on the road applying Audi style driving tactics.

Return to “Driving Experiences”