yet another 2zzge engine swap, tips plz!

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lukaharris

yet another 2zzge engine swap, tips plz!

Post by lukaharris »

ok so i have sold my rev3 turbo (massive list of mods stripped out, forged, borg warner blar blar blar) as i want a cheap to run daily driver that is still fun but good on fuel and cosy to drive. But truth be told i was spending far far far too much time and money on the thing.
Dont get me wrong i love everything about the tubby but its nearly put me in a hedge more than ounce, and i have had my fun with it so time to move on and try something new.

I bought a mk3 that is very cosy and feels more sat on the floor than the mk2, but got it cheap £600 as it has big end failure on number 4. On further inspection it has spun a shell on number 4, so i try my luck and put some new shells in as the crank is very clean and so is the rod, but no! sods law when the engine is warm knocks (no suprise really).

After searching for a 1zzfe the going rate seems to be about 350 min but i see a scrappy not realising what they were selling and got a 2zzge n 6 speed box for £500 so thought its worth a try for that money. Picked the motor up n had a quick look inside and its gleaming no signs of wear and its all a good gold colour so not even going to bother replacing the shells plus told it had 76k miles on it.
After googling for hours on end i realise whats needed for the swap and start searching for a ecu n chip and few other bits. Got a ecu 2zzge for £40 then asked the bloke for the keys n said i can have the keys and a load of other ecus for £20 posted! couldnt belive my luck so far so bit his hand off.
Anyway i, might take car into work on sunday to get the 1zz out, (not sure how long this will take.

only thing i need info on is: can i use the 1zzfe wiring loom but add the wires for lift control and knock sensor
and the gearbox turret do i just swap the guts into the 5 speed box turret off the 1zz. Any machining work need doing i can do as we have a lathe at work too.
Last edited by lukaharris on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cabbydave1

Re: yet another 2zzge engine swap, tips plz!

Post by cabbydave1 »

Have a look on spyder chat loads about it there or theres a breaker in Warrington that does mk3 engines cheaper than 350 or you could bet a Toyota short engine from cheaptoyota parts for about £800 I think genuine toyota engine fully rebuilt with the latest pistons. One thing that people seem to do is fit some sort of baffling to the sump to stop oil starvation to number 4 big end
cabbydave1

Post by cabbydave1 »

You could ask Steve off the mr2roc he has just converted his to a 2zze
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Search on SC for anything LittleRocket did about 9-10 years ago. He was a legend back then, I have no idea if he's still doing 2ZZ swap stuff as I've not been on SC for about 6 years.
lukaharris

Post by lukaharris »

thanks for the reply, im now nearly finished the conversion just waiting on a few little bits.
Steve-m-uk

Post by Steve-m-uk »

You can take a look at my build thread here
www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38503

Yes you can and do use the 1zz engine loom, you then add the two wires for the lift solonoid and one for the lift oil pressure sensor. Best of luck with your swap :)
lukaharris

Post by lukaharris »

good build there!
I have had a high idle of 2000 and when warm its all over the place but have found the idle control valve is stuck. Going to put the 1zz one on as they look the same, just not enough hours in the day as ive been doing this in my lunch break lol shame ive not got this going sooner as i could of booked tracktime at japfest this year.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”