Still got a slight knocking noise!!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

un1eash

Still got a slight knocking noise!!

Post by un1eash »

Ive tried every thing i know but still have a slight knocking noise which seems to come from the head. My valve clearances are perfect and ive changed the plugs, dizzy cap and arm. Is it just mechanical noise or could it be something to do with the cam bearings??

Cheers for any help!
tunna_uk

how much do you know mechanically?

Post by tunna_uk »

Do you know much about engines etc,? hope I/m not telling you to suck eggs, but it could be just your fuel injectors making a tapping noise, otherwise it could be piston slap on a worn engine or worse still, a little end or big end bearing could be letting go. Make sure the oil level is right up as well because low oil levels on the 4age engine can cause knocking. :(
feral4mr2

Re: Still got a slight knocking noise!!

Post by feral4mr2 »

yes the injectors are noisey.

a simple test to see what cylinder might be making noise (if it be bearings) is to while the engine is idleing, remove a plug lead at a time (putting back the one you take off before removing another) if the knocking sound stops or gets quieter when a certain lead is pulled off, then the problem is in that cylinder.

piston slap is another thing it could be, i think it can be heard more under slight accelaration from idle.
un1eash

Re: Still got a slight knocking noise!!

Post by un1eash »

Thats why the noise worries me, i cant figure out what it is so it could be the big or little end which is bad news. I'm pretty sure it didnt make the noise before i had the cambelt changed. I'll try and make a recording and send it anyone via email if they want.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”