Tubby V`s Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 v6

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Tubby V`s Alfa Romeo GTV 3.0 v6

Post by Peter Gidden »

Graeme Shaw wrote:Out of interest what does everyone think happened?

G

Hmmm...

250BHP, RWD, 1260Kg

And

220BHP, FWD, 1420Kg

Tricky decision... :roll:
CardHore

Post by CardHore »

My 106 gti told where the bosses gtv where to go some years back.... 'back of the line boi!!!'
Mike

Post by Mike »

CardHore wrote:My 106 gti told where the bosses gtv where to go some years back.... 'back of the line boi!!!'

The Busso engined 3.0 V6? Either your boss couldn't drive, or your 106 was extensively modified!
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

Mike wrote:
CardHore wrote:My 106 gti told where the bosses gtv where to go some years back.... 'back of the line boi!!!'

The Busso engined 3.0 V6? Either your boss couldn't drive, or your 106 was extensively modified!

A 106 gti with a 1.4 gearbox is quick my mate has 1 and ep3 type r's can not pull away
CardHore

Post by CardHore »

106 Rallye MK1, gti 1.6 conv. 1.3 gearbox, full exhaust, intake... Kept up with a friends mildly modified rev1 tubby. Theres an old video somewhere of my 106 in clock view (sideways though) doing a 0-60 pull. Comments left on my videos were along the lines of 'that was taken with its wheels off the ground' and ' that video has been sped up' lol
Mike

Post by Mike »

vtecpower wrote:
Mike wrote:

A 106 gti with a 1.4 gearbox is quick my mate has 1 and ep3 type r's can not pull away

I don't doubt they're nippy, nut hanging onto the coat-tails of a Civic Type-R and showing a clean pair of heels to a 3litre GTV are two very different prospects. They might not be Tubby fast but its still a 6.5 to 60 and 150mph car.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

This seems like an appropriate thread to ask this:
I've got two colleagues that're into their Diesel remap cars (One is a Vectra CDTi and the other, a Golf 150.) Vectra is remapped to 190, Golf is mapped to 180. As "childish" as it sounds, we do debate who has the faster car... 8)

Now, they're telling me that in 1/4 mile, the Vectra would beat me, the Golf would be even (assuming similar reaction times) and in a track or a longer race, my MR2 wouldn't be able to keep up due to their torque. I'm not so sure. It's a good running Rev 2, with a fair few modifications that I'm running, what are people's thoughts on this? :neutral:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

Tsia wrote:This seems like an appropriate thread to ask this:
I've got two colleagues that're into their Diesel remap cars (One is a Vectra CDTi and the other, a Golf 150.) Vectra is remapped to 190, Golf is mapped to 180. As "childish" as it sounds, we do debate who has the faster car... 8)

Now, they're telling me that in 1/4 mile, the Vectra would beat me, the Golf would be even (assuming similar reaction times) and in a track or a longer race, my MR2 wouldn't be able to keep up due to their torque. I'm not so sure. It's a good running Rev 2, with a fair few modifications that I'm running, what are people's thoughts on this? :neutral:

aww bless
the classic difference of opinion between those that think they know what a fast car is and those that drive a tubby :oldtongue:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Tsia wrote:This seems like an appropriate thread to ask this:

Oh dear, well, even if your Tubby was a standard, healthy Rev2 Turbo, it would beat both comprehensively.

The Vectra standard hits 60 in 9.5 sec and tops out at 130-135mph, it also weighs 1430kgs

The Golf standard hits 60 in 8.3 and will reach 135mph, and weighs a lardy 1388kgs

The Tubby, 5.7 to 60 and will reach 163mph and weighs 1275kgs
So your car is more powerfull and lighter.
If they honestly think a hike of 40hp will cut 4 seconds off their 0-60 and add 30+mph to their top speed then they are very misguided.

Take them for a spin in your MR2, they'll soon shut up :thumleft:
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

That's relieving to know. It's strange, as one used to drive a GT-Four and insists his Golf is faster, so it did get me a touch worried. :oops:

Alas, no more. \:D/
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

They will have much more torque than you, so in-gear acceleration may not be a million miles off (it's why oil burning repmobiles can outdrag an Elise on the motorway), but from a standing start in a straight line it wouldn't even be close. When it comes to track stuff, I know the mk2 isn't blessed with the greatest handling, but I still suspect it's good enough to wee all over a Vectrs and a non-GTi Golf, unless said scrabblewagons had about 500bhp and an F1 driver at the wheel.

Mention Santa Pod to them, get them to put their money where their mouths are?
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

I may just have to do that :D
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

Tsia wrote:That's relieving to know. It's strange, as one used to drive a GT-Four and insists his Golf is faster, so it did get me a touch worried. :oops:

Alas, no more. \:D/

lol your funny, my rev2 tubby got 0-60 timed at 5.4 seconds and im running standard boost 11psi.. you willl beat them both heck iv beaten a vw 4.2 litre tdi in my rev2 tubby..

just mke sure you stay in your powerpand (shift at 6000 NOT 7000) santa pod proved this aswel :thumleft:
Kinsy

Post by Kinsy »

My N/A keeps up with a remapped Vectra pushing out 185bhp. And yes, I've seen the dyno sheet, infact I was there watching it make a black cloud of smoke as he did it!

I get off the line faster and get to the torque band just as he stops spinning up his front wheels. 2nd gear he draws close as you come back to the power band again, the problem is while diesels make good power they do it for only 1-2thousand rpm then they have to change gear again. Play this to your advantage and you can always win :)
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Eh???

a diesel vectra!?? and a golf?! are you kidding me!!??? I wouldnt waste my petrol.

I dont even know why we are disscussing it.

G

Return to “Driving Experiences”