Trouble in paradise! Odd Noise from the back wheel of car

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ldavies83

Trouble in paradise! Odd Noise from the back wheel of car

Post by ldavies83 »

Well after a 1 1/2 weeks of pure driving bliss, I should have guessed ther'd be something to stop my fun!

This morning on the way to work I was hearing quite a bad rubbing noise (like rubber). It wasnt bad, but was enough for me to pull over and have a good look over the car.

Heres the symptoms:

Rubbing when the wheel is rolling (not sure if it does it in the air, I'll jack it up and have a good look tonight)
Noise gets worse when you turn right.
Sounds like its the rear of the car rather than the front

Dont know how clear this is but I have an audio file of it, you can download it from:

Here (1.34 mb)
Last edited by ldavies83 on Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Icsunonove

Re: Trouble in paradise! Odd Noise from the back wheel of car

Post by Icsunonove »

:-k Has your trim bit covering the fuel filler pipe come loose?

It would get worse on right handers, because the left rear wheel suspension will be under load.

Best of luck,

Tom
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

Thanks Tom for the Advice,

I've just checked the fuel cover, it seems nice and secure. Plus its definately more of a "rubbery" noise which leads me to think either tyre catching on something :shock: or maybe its from the front inner arch covers as I'm not quite as sure about how secure they are.

I only say that because rear left I waxoyl'd fully and bolted what I thought to be everything back. However I havent waxoil'd the front left yet (looks like its on my list this weekend!) and I sort of shoved the cover back taking no real note of how many screws I've used!

We'll see I suppose. I'll just drive home slowly tonight!
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

K I have more symptoms etc.

I've removed both front and rear wheels and everything seems Ok, nothing loose especially with a rubbery noise!

I'm beginning to think wheel bearings, but I've never had them go so I dont know the symptoms.

The car sounds fine for the first couple of miles, and then its back like a bad smell!

does this sound like bearings ?? (bearing in mind there was movement in that wheel before the MOT but I just "nipped" the hub nut up a bit more and it stopped the movement)

And does anyone know whether or not if it is the bearing if most decent factors hold them in stock quite readily (ie do it tomorrow!)

Thanks,

Leigh
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

most good factors will hold them.my local one ARE has two two choose from.one at about £25 and the other £50 i suppose you get what you pay for.Toyota will charge you that for each part of the kit !!
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

ldavies83 wrote:K I have more symptoms etc.

I've removed both front and rear wheels and everything seems Ok, nothing loose especially with a rubbery noise!

I'm beginning to think wheel bearings, but I've never had them go so I dont know the symptoms.

The car sounds fine for the first couple of miles, and then its back like a bad smell!

does this sound like bearings ?? (bearing in mind there was movement in that wheel before the MOT but I just "nipped" the hub nut up a bit more and it stopped the movement)

From my experience of knackered wheel bearings they tend to make a humming noise particularly at about 50mph. This is what I've noticed on other cars rather than an MR2 but I can't see a wheel bearing making a rubbery noise.

Could it be a loose brake hose rubbing against the inside tyrewall? Or maybe it's a bush on one of the suspension components? Am trying to think what else is made of rubber around that area...
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

Thanks lunarmatic.

I sort of settled for wheel bearings because although it was a rubbery noise, in about 10 miles its turned to a distintly metalic grinding noise.

I had been told if its rubbery it could be CV joints :shock: ie grease has dissapeared, but thankfully there doesnt seem to be tears/rips and theres no major play in the diff/gearbox (less than 10mm)

I think I must have caught it extremely early or something! Anyway it tends to occur pretty much all the time now, so car is off the road (after being on the road for 2 weeks #-o ) until my brother in law comes back from holiday with his Larger socket sets and press :lol:.

New bearings: £18 + VAT from mr Factor, thankyou very much!!!

Typical, as soon as I think I'm done with welding yet another panel on the pillar where the door hinges are needs doing ](*,)

Still at least I've got the time to do it!!
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

This sounds like bearings to me, as mine sounded worse round one corner than the other - ie worse round roundabouts - was the rear left bearing.
good luck with fitting them (apparently can be a bit of a pain as you have to press them in) , and hope problem is solved. :)
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

Could it be the brake pads are worn too much? When did you last check them?

I recall my previous MR2 started making a metallic scraping noise on one side and it was the wear indicator on one of the rear pads. Could be worth a check?

I still think that wheel bearings tend to hum rather than make grinding noises. You should be able to check for a dud wheel bearing by jacking the car up and spinning the wheel to see if it spins smoothly or not. You might also find the wheel can be wobbled top to bottom if the bearing is particularly worn.
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

I know what you mean, I have checked the brakes however, plenty of meat left.

Just before the MOT I did the checks myself for bearing play etc, and there was definately too much play, however I thought I'd be able to eek out a little bit more life from them by WD40'ing them and nipping the hub nut up that bit more tighter! It worked, in that there was no play, but alas I think its gone completely now.

I've got some new bearings coming tomorrow morning now so I'll get a garage to press them in for me tomorrow hopefully.

I'll let you know if it works!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

The WD40 on the bearings may be your answer, it'll wash the lubricating grease out of the bearing. Ooops!
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

](*,) #-o =D>

Ach dammit!

I wont listen to my brother in law next time, still I suppose you learn something new everyday!!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Image for the brother in law. :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”