Parts and advice needed

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

marcusjhd

Parts and advice needed

Post by marcusjhd »

Hi. I've just bought my second mk1 MR2 after a brief affair with a Triumph Spitfire. This time I've gone for a T-Bar and spent several weeks searching the country for the best I could find. The car is immaculate, but there are a few issues that I need some help with.

Firstly, the engine is pinking, especialy when it's cold. I've found it happens much less with a lower-octane fuel, but it still sounds a bit like a beetle. I've tried lead-replacement additive, but this didn't make much difference. Has anyone else experienced this same problem? The car has been superchipped, which could be significant I guess.

Secondly, I need some engine mounts, but I've been told they're very expensive (like most Toyota parts). Does anyone know of any cheaper replacements? Also, I need a new cooling fan control unit. Mine got wet, so I took it apart to dry it, and broke it in the process!

Lastly, much to my frustration, I discovered on the way home from collecting the car that it's started popping out of fifth gear occasionally. When this gets worse, will I have to replace/recondition the gearbox, or is there a cheaper option?

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

I'll try to get around to posting some photos on this site, 'cos she's a beauty!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Parts and advice needed

Post by Lauren »

Try my recent article in the knowledge base for fixing 5th gear pop-out:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/kb.php?mode=article&k=74

The pinking, well i'm going to blame the 'superchip'. You'll have to get it on a rolling road to check properly.

Am sure you could get a control unit for the cooling fan off another car. If its the engine bay fan i wouldn't overly worry about it as they hardly ever come on tbh.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

are you sure its pinking as this would get worse not better with lower octane fuel. your unichip would most likely have been set up with optimax or the like so should be best with high octane.the fact its worse when cold also points to it not being pinking.IMHO. pull a fault code off and see what you get.
the engine mounts have been repaired /improved by adding urethane. this can be bought cheaply from RS.you pour it in and let it set.never done it myself but have known others to do it quite successfully.
tell me exactly whats broken with the fan and i`m sure i`ll have the parts for you to fix it.
marcusjhd

Post by marcusjhd »

Thanks for your speedy replies.

Lauren - great article, and a big relief to know there is such a simple solution! Would you mind telling me where you get your parts from? Do you buy them direct from Toyota, or do you have better/cheaper supplier?

crazylegs - my local garage doesn't have a compatible diagnostics computer to get a fault code from the CPU, so maybe I'll have to visit another garage. I don't think the cooling fan control unit can be easily repaired, since the whole circuit board is corroded. Here are the numbers from the front of the box, in case one of you has a spare you would part with for a reasonable price. I assume one of them is the part number.

85927-17050
078300-2070

Also, do you know the URL for RS? I'm not even sure of the full company name. Is it RS Motorsports?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I got the parts straight from Toyota. tbh i don't reckon you'd be able to get those kind of parts anywhere else.

You don't need a diagnostics computer to get the information, its just a matter of bridging the two terminals and counting the number of flashes on the dash.

Sorry can never ever for the life of me remember the two terminals you short to get the info. :oops:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Tis T1+E. The diagnostic port itself is on the rear of the engine bay, flip open the cover, turn the ignition around to 2 and then short out T1 & E with a paperclip, or other highly technical device.

Count the flashes of the yelllow light on the dash, then post it up if you don't have the BGB.

Good luck!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”