DIDSM's Mint Mk1b - Ultimate Dilemma?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Paul Cyclops

DIDSM's Mint Mk1b - Ultimate Dilemma?

Post by Paul Cyclops »

What would you do if you were the custodian of this delightful example? The urge to stick a few reasonably brisk miles on it, perhaps on the continent, must be overwhelming. Conversely, I'd feel an obligation to keep it immaculate as this must be one of the finest examples anywhere...

D1SDM wrote:Yes the car's basically standard,I've just made a few cosmetic changes to try and put my own stamp on it. It's a very low mileage car so there's nothing I've done that can't easily be put back to standard and I've kept all the original parts because I realise originality is important to it's value. I changed the wheels to 15" because I think they look better but I also wanted something that looked period to the car,late eighties etc,and hopefully the BBS/cross spoke design does? The cam covers were done to carry on the same theme as the wheels ie: Black and polished,as was the inlet manifold cover and T-VIS badge which I had made. Inside all I've done is add a smaller Nardi/Personal steering wheel and matching gear knob,plus as near as possible a period Toyota CD player. I've added a picture of this,it was a briliant ebay find, brand new (old stock) and still in the Toyota box with the instuction manual etc!

As for the mileage it's only just turned 3,000 from new! It's never been out in the rain in it's life and has always been garaged too,it really is like new in every respect including underneath. I'm only the second owner,the first guy kept it for 18 years and he,together with the original supplying dealer (Murley Toyota in Warwick) and myself are all within about 5 miles of each other, so it's never travelled very far in more ways than one!

Damn it - I'll see that car in my sleep tonight! :)
D1SDM

Re: DIDSM's Mint Mk1b - Ultimate Dilemma?

Post by D1SDM »

[quote="Paul Cyclops"]What would you do if you were the custodian of this delightful example? The urge to stick a few reasonably brisk miles on it, perhaps on the continent, must be overwhelming. Conversely, I'd feel an obligation to keep it immaculate as this must be one of the finest examples anywhere...

I know what you mean Paul,it's so tempting just to drive and drive her :D but then even more so I want to keep it as immaculate as possible,and keep the miles down too,which is what I've always done.
uglee

Post by uglee »

Looking at that it's definitly garage queen material. Looks as it did when it left the factory.Amazing!

If you want to drive one, get a less immaculate one that has a few miles under its belt. Then if that inevitably picks up the odd stone chip or parking ding you won't be too upset over it.
Paul Cyclops

Post by Paul Cyclops »

I think it's really important that at least a small handful of the model are kept in this fabulous condition (and I doubt there are more than a couple of further examples in this remarkable state). You must have won some prizes, Steve?
D1SDM

Post by D1SDM »

Too be honest I've never tried Paul,it's never even been to any shows! :oops: When I bought it I always intended to try but it's just never happened,when there's been a show I've always seemed to be busy or had other commitments,either that or it's been raining! It definitely deserves to be seen more,I have thought about selling and letting someone else give it more exposure.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I'd keep it mint as the price will only go up and get yourself a cheap run around mk1.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

D1SDM wrote:Too be honest I've never tried Paul,it's never even been to any shows! :oops: When I bought it I always intended to try but it's just never happened,when there's been a show I've always seemed to be busy or had other commitments,either that or it's been raining! It definitely deserves to be seen more,I have thought about selling and letting someone else give it more exposure.

Now that you've started talking to us you may be more inclined to get involved with the AW11 community D1 ?

There are a lot of friendly, helpful folk on here

I've never seen a Mk1 in anywhere near that condition. Although mine was only 7 years old when I bought it

There can only be a very few other Mk1s as good as yours
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

it is a really nice example but i always have that thought in my mind that the priority should be too always enjoy the purpose of the object... and car is built to drive.

I guess as long as you balance the driving of it with the looking after it then there is a good balance to be had i suppose.

i know its always good when a real low mileage / new example turns up but i do also think there is something special about enjoying something to its fullest for as long as its life span allows... after all nothing last for ever
IanParkhouse

Post by IanParkhouse »

IMHO Cars are for driving, keep it wrapped up in winter in the garage and drive as much as possible once the salts gone. Also make sure it's driven fast, these are sports cars and they have feelings too. They like to be out with the wind in their hair and their TVIS open.

Great that people want to look after a car but really done of us would be interested in these cars if they didn't have wheels and engines. Not using them is like keep a peregrine falcon in a bird cage.
brawr

Post by brawr »

Amen brothers, squash that pristine carpet below the throttle pedal and drive that old girl like she deserves 8)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Cars are for driving I'd say. Don't really get the point of doing the whole GJOB thing and not using it to keep the miles down.

If you can't ber to put the miles on it, sell it and get an example where you'd be less worried about it. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Gilles27

Post by Gilles27 »

Lauren wrote:Cars are for driving I'd say. Don't really get the point of doing the whole GJOB thing and not using it to keep the miles down.

If you can't ber to put the miles on it, sell it and get an example where you'd be less worried about it. :+:

As a wise man in the Ferrari community said "Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend" :D
Paul Cyclops

Post by Paul Cyclops »

I agree that cars should be driven but this particular one is an exceptional, if not unique, example. Once it starts clocking up tens of thousands of miles, or worse still, winds up t-boned at a junction, that uniqueness will be lost forever. F O R E V E R.

I'm pleased that Steve has taken on the responsibility of keeping this car in the condition it's in. There are still plenty of cars in fine (but far from concours condition) to enjoy as regular drivers.
IanParkhouse

Post by IanParkhouse »

Probably best not to listen to me. I 'ruined' a really good example with a 2zz engine 6 speed box and LSD. Still looks original thank god.

:-$
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Lauren wrote:Cars are for driving I'd say. Don't really get the point of doing the whole GJOB thing and not using it to keep the miles down.

I have to agree here.
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

Usually I'm very much an advocate of cars being for driving :thumleft:

Not sure with this one though

It could be such a rare example that it should be preserved as is :-k
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

The negines on these things are well built, 3,000 miles seems like an utter waste to me. When the MK1 was on the road I did 1,000 miles every month and never worried aboutit, even after having the restoration work done, arches full restored etc, so it looked nearly new, I still took it to Germany four weeks later and bunged 1500 miles on it in one go.

Cars are for driving! Yes it might get damaged, yes it might break down, but not using it will leave it just as vulnerable, garages burn down, cars get stolen, engines break if not used.

Get out there and hoon it. Thats what you buy a sportscar for!
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
stenky

Post by stenky »

Take a look at this belgian chap here. Compared to this AE86, D1's AW11 has seen a real load of abuse.... 48km on an AE86...

http://jalopnik.com/5828381/this-is-wha ... /gallery/1

this is insane. i wouldnt last a day
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Paul Cyclops wrote:I agree that cars should be driven but this particular one is an exceptional, if not unique, example. Once it starts clocking up tens of thousands of miles, or worse still, winds up t-boned at a junction, that uniqueness will be lost forever. F O R E V E R.

I understand that you cannot undo putting miles on a car, but seriously it really isn't that important in the scheme of things. There are MR2s with much less in the way of mileage on them. I saw one last year that had under 50 miles on it! That car would be even more exceptional would it not?

So I don't agree it's unique. Yes a concours condition car. But cars are for driving. As I said I don't see the point in the whole GJOB thing.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

Gilles27 wrote:

As a wise man in the Ferrari community said "Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your Girl Friend so she'll be more desirable to her next Boy Friend" :D

that is a wise sage if ever there was one...

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”