Room for me?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nikaso

Room for me?

Post by nikaso »

I am just wondering how much cockpit room etc in a Mk1 compared to a Mk2?

I currently have a Mk2 tubby but am a big boy (6'6) so its a bit of a squeeze! I am looking to get a Mk1 however but need to know if I am going to fit?

[-o<
andyj

Re: Room for me?

Post by andyj »

Nikaso,

Interesting ...don't think you'll find it that roomy in the Mark 1. I'm just 5 foot 8 inches and tend to have the seat in it's rear most position. It just gives me room to get the T bar behind the seat.

I never realised there was a difference in the cockpit room between the models but clearly you don't find the mark 2 cockpit a problem.

Andy
nikaso

Post by nikaso »

Well I wouldn't be able to fit the tbar behind the seat if I had one, its just I was told the MK1 cockpit is a bit smaller than the Mk2, suppose the best way is to find one and try it!
andyj

Post by andyj »

nikaso wrote:Well I wouldn't be able to fit the tbar behind the seat if I had one, its just I was told the MK1 cockpit is a bit smaller than the Mk2, suppose the best way is to find one and try it!

Sorry, meant T bar panels behind seat! Went to correct but got interrupted! Hope you can fit 'cos they're a blast to drive. Really agile. Not the power your used to but nice tight feel.
andyj

Post by andyj »

nikaso wrote:Well I wouldn't be able to fit the tbar behind the seat if I had one, its just I was told the MK1 cockpit is a bit smaller than the Mk2, suppose the best way is to find one and try it!

Sorry, meant T bar panels behind seat! Went to correct but got interrupted! Hope you can fit 'cos they're a blast to drive. Really agile. Not the power your used to but nice tight feel.
nikaso

Post by nikaso »

Thats what I thought you meant its ok! :D

Would love to have one, main reason is I am wanting to get something less expensive to run!

Insurance is cheaper (looking at at least a £400 saving) and petrol is cheaper (well the actual petrol isn't but the tubby is thirsty!)

I use the tubby as a daily driver and just can't really justify the cost!
andyj

Post by andyj »

Note Mark 1's are amazingly cheap to run. If you don't need business use and are over 25 the club do a set price insurance. About £200 fully comp. Of course depreciation is zero also. Plus we enjoy about 32 mpg even if you thrash it a bit. Lighter weight but geared for acceleration means you can enjoy reasonable performance and costs.

I came to conlusion power (or rather torque) isn't everything. My everyday car was a 330ci BMW but recently sold that as found it no real fun tyo drive. You just couldn't rev it and spin it round corners. So got a VVC hot hatch and of course the Mark 1. Glad I did what with cost of petrol these days.
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

I'm 6'4 I find the car Ok again rear most position, but for the most part its a comfortable drive, and good driving position!
nikaso

Post by nikaso »

Guess I just have to take the plunge now and sell the tubby! Thanks for the help though guys, really appreciate it!
System-G

Post by System-G »

I'm 6' and have no problems either. Although I think I would need to slouch if I were to wear my helmet in the car :lol:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

I'm 6' 2'' and leg room is no problem whatsoever! :D

However, in my sunroof model head room is a bit of an issue. Even with my chair right back and the upright section leaning back as far as is confortable, my hair is scraping the ceiling. If I sit more upright my skull's just milimeters from the ceiling, so I'm ducking as I go over speed bumps! :wink:

My advice, if you're over 6'2'', go for the T-Bar as you'll gain an extra inch or so head room. But if you can get in one at all, buy one, you won't regret it! :D
nikaso

Post by nikaso »

Well taken the first step and the tubby is up for sale!

Want to sell it to a club member be it MR2OC or IMOC ideally so its in the for sale sections. Now looking at Mk1 Tbars!
[/url]
System-G

Post by System-G »

Forgot to add, that I found very little difference in headroom between my UK spec Rev3 and the MKI (both sunroof/moonroof models).
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

6'6" should just squeeze in....... :lol:
mk1's are not for people that are 6'6" wide though..... :wink: if you get my drift. :lol:
deffo a tbar option for you then...... :shock:
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

im 6'3" and i fit ok. i only very occasionally bang my knees on the steering wheel, thats usually if wearing baggy pants. other than that its comfy as, seat all the way back. you should be alright i reckon.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”