Updateage- Sorted! (with pics) Curing 5th gear pop-out

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Updateage- Sorted! (with pics) Curing 5th gear pop-out

Post by Lauren »

jimi wrote::oops: next question how do I upload the pics :oops: can't sem to find out how to do it
Jimi

Click on 'Album' at the top. then upload pic, then select knowledge base, then browse on your PC for pic.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
jimi

Post by jimi »

Pics are up, words on their way.
Jimi
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

If you need a hand with this, PM me.

We did move the static HTML how-to's over, but if they were in the Database they'd have been lost ..

I've just approved all the Pics you've uploaded for the articles, plus Lauren's for the 5th gear pop out problem - some top beardage there Lauren ;)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

BenF wrote:If you need a hand with this, PM me.

We did move the static HTML how-to's over, but if they were in the Database they'd have been lost ..

I've just approved all the Pics you've uploaded for the articles, plus Lauren's for the 5th gear pop out problem - some top beardage there Lauren ;)

Ben, i tried to upload those pics but was met with a load of red Xs so ended up just linking them off my site, which seems to work okay.

Was amazed tbh Ben, just how easy it was to swop that hub and selector fork.
sadako

Post by sadako »

OK, at the moment i'm running without soundproofing while I get around to fitting my 3rd brake light and deciding if i'm going to run any extra cables with the loom before i put the carpet back on. At 70-75mph I get this annoying buzzing sound behind my head that goes away when I push the gearstick forward in 5th. The noise goes away again if I speed up to 80 (testing on private land occifer).

Could this be a prelude to 5th gear popout or is it just the gear cables resonating at that frequncy or something?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

sadako wrote:OK, at the moment i'm running without soundproofing while I get around to fitting my 3rd brake light and deciding if i'm going to run any extra cables with the loom before i put the carpet back on. At 70-75mph I get this annoying buzzing sound behind my head that goes away when I push the gearstick forward in 5th. The noise goes away again if I speed up to 80 (testing on private land occifer).

Could this be a prelude to 5th gear popout or is it just the gear cables resonating at that frequncy or something?

Its likely the selector fork pushing on the hub or hub pushing against dog teeth.

A precursor to 5th gear popout is that when you lift off the gearstick will 'nod' forwards. 10mm is okay but tells you that 5th gear is on the way. 20mm or so means its going to be sooner rather than later.
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

=D> =D> =D> Well done Lauren, Impressed is an understatement! I dont know how you do it and work out all these fantastic ideas!!
Cixot

Post by Cixot »

Very nice Lauren, pictures make it look 100 X easier than someone trying to explain it.

Now, my Blue T-Bar is popping out of 4th! Is this a similar problem with an easy fix or am I living in hope!?
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Oh dear Ryan,

I'm afraid that's a completely different kettle of fish! :(
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

SeaSnake wrote:Very nice Lauren, pictures make it look 100 X easier than someone trying to explain it.

Now, my Blue T-Bar is popping out of 4th! Is this a similar problem with an easy fix or am I living in hope!?

Sorting out 4th would involve a hell of a lot of work. Would involve stripping just about everything out to get to it i'm afraid.

5th is easy because its actually outside the main gear casing and is on the end of the input/output shaft.
Cixot

Post by Cixot »

Lauren wrote:

Sorting out 4th would involve a hell of a lot of work. Would involve stripping just about everything out to get to it i'm afraid.

5th is easy because its actually outside the main gear casing and is on the end of the input/output shaft.

So, living in hope then! :?

Guess I will have to drop the gear box and replace it with one of the many spares i have, just hope I pick a gud'n.

Can those parts you bought for 5th be purchased cheaper anywhere else as I am thinking of buying a few sets and putting them in a couple of these spares ready for anyone who want a complete unit? :salut:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

SeaSnake wrote:
Lauren wrote:

So, living in hope then! :?

Guess I will have to drop the gear box and replace it with one of the many spares i have, just hope I pick a gud'n.

Can those parts you bought for 5th be purchased cheaper anywhere else as I am thinking of buying a few sets and putting them in a couple of these spares ready for anyone who want a complete unit? :salut:

I doubt you'd be able to get the fork and hub anywhere but toyota tbh. they are not that expensive really. £20 for a fork and £50 for a hub.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”