12v Ignition source needed in engine bay

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2Mania

12v Ignition source needed in engine bay

Post by MR2Mania »

Hi all,

I need to find a good 12v Ignition source in the engine bay, but it can't be from the ECU. It's to power something that shouldn't exceed 2-3amps.

Thanks in advance.
Terry

Re: 12v Ignition source needed in engine bay

Post by Terry »

Take a live feed from the fuse box.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Terry wrote:Take a live feed from the fuse box.

It can't be a live feed, because it'll then be running when the ignition is off, hence why I need an ignition feed.
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

MR2Mania wrote:
Terry wrote:Take a live feed from the fuse box.

It can't be a live feed, because it'll then be running when the ignition is off, hence why I need an ignition feed.

i'm pretty sure there arn't any decent IG live feeds you might have to run a new one to be sure.

paul
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

hornsey wrote:
i'm pretty sure there arn't any decent IG live feeds you might have to run a new one to be sure.

paul

Cheers, Paul.

I guess I'll have to use a relay then. Thanks again.
gmtc

Post by gmtc »

If i recall correctly, the black wires with red stripes in the engine bay fuse box (connector closest to intake manifold) are ignition driven. Check them out with a meter.
JJ

Post by JJ »

gmtc wrote:If i recall correctly, the black wires with red stripes in the engine bay fuse box (connector closest to intake manifold) are ignition driven. Check them out with a meter.

Your right... wires to the edge of the loom in the fuse box are switchable... do a takeoff from there, thats what I use to switch an accessory relay for the chargecooler pump and fans.

Not thought of investing in a multimeter dino ! :shock: :wink:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

JJ wrote:Your right... wires to the edge of the loom in the fuse box are switchable... do a takeoff from there, thats what I use to switch an accessory relay for the chargecooler pump and fans.

I've since installed a relay in the boot, triggered from the ignition feed to the ECU.

JJ wrote:Not thought of investing in a multimeter dino ! :shock: :wink:

What's one of those, then? ;)

Seriously, though, I posted that as I was in a hurry to finish the job, and was hoping that I'd get a quick reply, but in the end I decided to run a relay, as I had one sitting about.

Good job that I didn't wait for your reply, eh JJ! ;)

Talking of multimeters, I could do with a digital one that measures voltage down to 3 decimal places, but I don't know of anywhere to get one or reasonable money. Any hints anyone?
JJ

Post by JJ »

Talking of multimeters, I could do with a digital one that measures voltage down to 3 decimal places, but I don't know of anywhere to get one or reasonable money. Any hints anyone?

What the devil do you need one of those for ??? I've only got one from maplin examples with the continuity tester ***BEEEP*** hehehe ! :lol: only 2 decimal places though !! Not good enough ! :)
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

JJ wrote:

What the devil do you need one of those for ??? I've only got one from maplin examples with the continuity tester ***BEEEP*** hehehe ! :lol: only 2 decimal places though !! Not good enough ! :)

I want to be able to measure the output of some sensors. For example, when trying to get my LM1 wideband kit to talk to the MoTeC, there was a shift by the time it got to the MoTeC, and if I had a decent enough volt meter, then I could have seen if there was a voltage shift from what I programmed in the LM1 to what it actually put out. I told you I was anal!! :)
JJ

Post by JJ »

want to be able to measure the output of some sensors. For example, when trying to get my LM1 wideband kit to talk to the MoTeC, there was a shift by the time it got to the MoTeC

In your intricate studies of the MR2's and electronics such as the Motec ecu, have you figured how a woman works yet and the reasons why they stall and have interface problems with your friends ???? :lol:
:wink:

One thing I'll never understand !!! :idea: :lol:
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

JJ wrote:
want to be able to measure the output of some sensors. For example, when trying to get my LM1 wideband kit to talk to the MoTeC, there was a shift by the time it got to the MoTeC

In your intricate studies of the MR2's and electronics such as the Motec ecu, have you figured how a woman works yet and the reasons why they stall and have interface problems with your friends ???? :lol:

One thing I'll never understand !!! :idea: :lol:

Mate, my guess is that it's IMPOSSIBLE to figure out women. They're genetically programmed to do the OPPOSITE to what we think they'll do. And forget trying to think "OK, I reckon they'll do this, so I'll go for the opposite", because they have in-built AI sensors that work out your thinking and switch again within 1ms! :D

If anyone WERE to discover the secret, they'd be richer than Bernie Ecclestone!!! ROFL
JJ

Post by JJ »

because they have in-built AI sensors that work out your thinking and switch again within 1ms!

This AI is obviously kept to ourselves otherwise their heads will grow so large, you'll not be able to sleep in the same bed as them ( preferred I might add ) :D

I find alcohol inhibited in the woman often hinders a delayed responce and thus left ignored ( rarely ! ), or something is blow out of proportion where the words are so manipulated, you begin to think that your fluent in babble.

If anyone WERE to discover the secret

This will never happen unless you can actually put up with someone that lacks intelligence and is simply dumber than a box of makeup. :shock:

Return to “Electrical”