[Mk2] [NA] camry v6 guide???? any about?

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

REV3Ryan

[Mk2] [NA] camry v6 guide???? any about?

Post by REV3Ryan »

has anyone done a camry v6 engine swap into a mk2 rev 3. Just wondered what engines can be put into them and if there were any guides, from what ive seen its a straight forward swap but would like a guide
slipping clutch

Re: [Mk2] [NA] camry v6 guide???? any about?

Post by slipping clutch »

Paul Woods of Woodsport's fame is definatly the man you need to talk to.
p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

I did my swap at home..
used to live in Swindon but not any more..
what kind of info are you after.. I might be able to help..
REV3Ryan

Post by REV3Ryan »

I've researched it online but there aren't really any guides just company's that do it for you, I would like to know what parts I will need so far I think it's an engine mount and swap the v6 clutch friction plate for the mr2 one, so it fits on the splines. I may be wrong this I just what I've read. Is there any more parts needed to do the swap and will any v6 Camry engine do or does it have to be a specific ?
adam3442

Post by adam3442 »

Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Why would you bother when you already have the gen3 3sge motor in your car? The Camry motor is the 3VZ-FE.

If you want to do a V6 swap use the 2GR-FE from the Previa or Aurion.
p5ycho

Post by p5ycho »

V6 engine wise there are a few choices..

3vzfe which is the easiest to do at home..
1mzfe which similar to the 3vzfe to swap in but requires a little more wiring..
And finally the 2grfe which is the expensive one, as the engine is also currently fitted in the lotus evora..

cost wise the 3vz and 1mz engines cars can be bought from as little as 500 quid but the 2gr is not available so easily in the uk and has to be shipped from the states, and as such u would be looking at 4k plus just for the engine package, u then need ecu with it, wiring and other trick bits to make it all work..

Diy it could probably be done but is costly and a bit more involved than the previous too plus u need turbo running gear too as the engine will shred n/a running gear in no time..

To swap the 3vz in, u need drivers side engine mount..
A flywheel to fit the 3vz, then a n/a friction plate, and a turbo pressure plate as n/a ones won't fit the 3vz fly ,
U can modify a n/a fly to fit, in which case a n/a pressure plate can be used..

Other than that u pretty much have everything , gearbox fits, starter fits, u need to use camry alternator..

The only other thing is the exhaust, the camry downpipe can either be Modded to mate to a mr2 exhaust or u can get custom downpipes made along with your choice of exhaust..
Rest all depends wether u plan on changng gaskets, water pump timing belt etc while engaging is on the floor or just want to swap it in as it is..

Time scale wise if it's just a case of engine out the camry into the mr2, and u have all the bits to hand, I could probably do it in a weekend,
If you refreshing the engine, it could take a week, or pretty much as long as u wish to take..
Wiring I did mine in 3 hours and I was working at a slow pace..

That's pretty much all there is to it..
Either u get your hands dirty and DIY, in which case you learn all the way through . Or you get someone to do your swap..

Paul Woods at woodsport in Durham is regarded as the best, then roque motorsport also do the conversion.

All depends how much u wish to spend..
I am happy to lend a hand if needed ...drop me a pm if u like..
REV3Ryan

Post by REV3Ryan »

Thanks for all the replies lads all the information is there, great job definitely something I will look at doing in the future. Much apreciated :)
Nickp

Post by Nickp »

This is where you want to be for V6 swap info-

http://www.twobrutal.co.uk/forum/forum.php

I put a 3vzfe in our track MR2 and won the £999 challenge in it last year-

http://www.ppc-mag.co.uk/forum/viewtopi ... 5afcf5c5a8

It's a great conversion and a totally different beast to any N/A 3SGE :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”