Rust in my coolant system :(

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jimbo_Jet

Rust in my coolant system :(

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Hi,

I've just had my MK1 in for it's first service since I bought it and there was loads of fine orange (rust) gunk in the system. So I've asked my garage to flush the system through to get rid of it, but after four complete run throughs it still keeps coming! :(

The garage has told me that it's not a huge problem at the moment, as the engine is keeping cool with no problems, but that I'm going to have to really keep on top of it.

Can anyone possibly suggest a way of getting rid of all the rust in the system with out a complete system strip down as my garage is suggesting as a longer-term solution?

stevenb

Re: Rust in my coolant system :(

Post by stevenb »

There are plenty of rust inhibitors in good qaulity coolant. Maybe you car has not had such good coolant in the past.
Replacing all the parts would be astronomical. Remove the radiotr and flush it out. Check out the water pump. Check the coolant pipes underneath the car.
If you have the £££ then you could get the head gasket replaced and the water jacket inspected whilst it's apart. £300 approx cost for this.
I'd just keep doing regular changes with a good quality coolant. Keep your eye on the oil in the engine, coolant level etc etc. :wink:
keithmr2

Post by keithmr2 »

I spoke to the bloke who runs PTS and he said only use toyota coolant because other anti freeze eats at the cylinder heads and i think i've read about it on this forum before.
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Any good ethylene glycol based antifreeze is sufficient. I use the top halfords stuff.....it's pink in colour.
toyota forlife coolant is good but it's comparable to the top halfords one.
halfords is also cheaper. plus forlife recommend that it's cahnged every 4 years IIRC so you are no better off.
all down to personal preference of course. :wink:
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Thanks for that :)

Just so that I know, what's the worst that can happen to my car if this problem goes unchecked? I intend to keep well on top of it tho, so I'm planning to ask my garage to flush the coolant system through all day long if need be till it starts to run clean.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Jimbo_Jet wrote:Thanks for that :)

Just so that I know, what's the worst that can happen to my car if this problem goes unchecked? I intend to keep well on top of it tho, so I'm planning to ask my garage to flush the coolant system through all day long if need be till it starts to run clean.

I really wouldn't overly worry about it. If your car is running normal coolant temperatures then just replace with a glycol based coolant. Flush it again in a few months if you are really worried. Just put a hose into where the rad cap goes then open the bottom bleed on the rad and flush till it runs clear. Obviously you won't get every bit of rusty water out but it'll be a start.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
lodgeman

Post by lodgeman »

stevenb wrote:Any good ethylene glycol based antifreeze is sufficient. I use the top halfords stuff.....it's pink in colour.
toyota forlife coolant is good but it's comparable to the top halfords one.
halfords is also cheaper. plus forlife recommend that it's cahnged every 4 years IIRC so you are no better off.
all down to personal preference of course. :wink:

if the stuff is call forlife why does it only last 4 years ? eh? :-#
superchargedsam

Post by superchargedsam »

for = four perhaps hehehe !

Anyway havent they just changed the name of it ?
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

James, my cooling system was also filthy when I got my car. Gallons of acid later it's now very clean. But there are limits. The heater matrix was so gummed up the acid wouldn't actually flow through the narrow passages at all. So I ended up taking it off (with a little advice from a friend - cheers Lauren) and now it's all hunky dory. Get yourself to Halfords and buy two or three of the heavy duty two part cleaning kits.

Before you use the acid I would recommmend flushing it for hours with a hose pipe. I just bodged up a bung that fitted over a hose pipe and inside the filler cap so I could pressurise it a bit with the drain plug out obviously :roll: . I then left it running all afternoon, periodically starting up the car to move things around with the water pump.

Hope this helps

Tom
RichardMorgan

Post by RichardMorgan »

Before you use the acid I would recommmend flushing it for hours with a hose pipe. I just bodged up a bung that fitted over a hose pipe and inside the filler cap so I could pressurise it a bit with the drain plug out obviously . I then left it running all afternoon, periodically starting up the car to move things around with the water pump.

Hope this helps

Tom

Hello Mr.Dyke, A representative of Severn Trent Water will be round to turn off your water supply this afternoon!
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

RichardMorgan wrote:
Before you use the acid I would recommmend flushing it for hours with a hose pipe. I just bodged up a bung that fitted over a hose pipe and inside the filler cap so I could pressurise it a bit with the drain plug out obviously . I then left it running all afternoon, periodically starting up the car to move things around with the water pump.

Hope this helps

Tom

Hello Mr.Dyke, A representative of Severn Trent Water will be round to turn off your water supply this afternoon!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good idea though!!
superchargedsam

Post by superchargedsam »

tom what acid did you use ? and u obviuosly aint on a water meter then !

:cry:
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Icsunonove wrote:James, my cooling system was also filthy when I got my car. Gallons of acid later it's now very clean. But there are limits. The heater matrix was so gummed up the acid wouldn't actually flow through the narrow passages at all. So I ended up taking it off (with a little advice from a friend - cheers Lauren) and now it's all hunky dory. Get yourself to Halfords and buy two or three of the heavy duty two part cleaning kits.

Before you use the acid I would recommmend flushing it for hours with a hose pipe. I just bodged up a bung that fitted over a hose pipe and inside the filler cap so I could pressurise it a bit with the drain plug out obviously :roll: . I then left it running all afternoon, periodically starting up the car to move things around with the water pump.

Hope this helps

Tom

Thanks, I think I'll try just that! :D Hope there's not a hose pipe ban on at the mo :wink:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”