DIY Fitting of Toad AI606 Cat 1 Alarm

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

daveo

DIY Fitting of Toad AI606 Cat 1 Alarm

Post by daveo »

Hi everyone- its great to see the new website and a few of the favourites around such as JJ, MCanny, etc...Merry xmas to you all..

Can anyone advice on how easy/difficult it is to fit a Toad AI606 Cat 1 alarm myself? How can I disarm/modify the standard Toyota alarm which is still working fine?

As security could be an issue (I wouldn't want to jeopardise the product for those who already have this alarm on their MR2) could you e-mail me direct if you think the information is confidential? Professional fitting is both a pain and time-consuming as I don't trust those ICE people with my precious 2!!

Another question- when are the existing technical info on the old website be available here..? 8)

All replies are appreciated.
Neil Clark

Re: DIY Fitting of Toad AI606 Cat 1 Alarm

Post by Neil Clark »

Hi mate

Just fitted one to my 2, a laserline one. The fitting spec sheet is here

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=380
Jon Bradley

Post by Jon Bradley »

Daveo I recently fitted the TOAD AI606 to my MK1, it did take me a lot longer than I was expecting but I got there in the end. If you are confident using a multimeter and you have at least two complete days free to do it then go for it. Do you have the fitting instruction guide? If not then I can email it to you. I recommend proceeding in the folloowing order:
1) fit alarm
2) fit remote central locking
3) fit immobiliser
what i mean is dont try and do all things at once those wires get confusing!

Another thing to note is that it will not be Thatcham approved or be under warranty if you do it yourself, but saves you a hell of a lot on fitting costs. I took ages fitting mine because i wanted to be 100% sure that everything was conected right so i didnt blow it up and then it not be under warranty. Just make sure that you SOLDER AND HEATSHRINK all connections... crimp-on wires are a fire waiting to happen.

I have heard of people taking their DIY job to a thatcham installer, then paying them £30 to check it all out and then sign your thatcham slip if tis ok and within thatcham requirements (e.g. soldering).

Oh one other thing, once winter started coming and there was some torrential rain my alarm kept triggering... I discovered it to be the bonnet sensor getting drenched so covered it up with some plastic sheeting and no problem since... Other than that never had a false alarm, awesome!
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

hiya mate if you get stuck fitting the alarm your more than welcome to give me a shout as im local to ya over in Frimley, 07736942369

Ive removed and fitted alarms to mr2 and lots of other cars

regards
Rob

Return to “Electrical”