Starting Problem

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RichardMorgan

Starting Problem

Post by RichardMorgan »

I have a 1987 MR2 NA with an interesting (well to me anyway) problem. On occasion the car won’t start, it turns over but won’t fire. The car always starts when pushed or rolled down a hill. The second half of this is also on occasion the car will stall while sitting in traffic or at a light, when I say stall I don’t mean it stutters or idles funny, I mean it just shuts its self off, almost like I turned the key, this stall generates a code in the ecu, code 6 to be exact. After the car stalls it can be a bit of a pain to get started again, I have gotten it to start once by the starter after it stalled but my usual method is to push the car, sometimes this is very easy other times it can take a series of pushstarting/stalling. I realize this is probably not good but my MR2 is my daily driver so I don’t often have much of a choice. My question is - have you ever heard of a behaviour like this? Or maybe have an idea of how to go about troubleshooting the ECU code? Preferably not taking it to a mechanic, too expensive currently. I like to work on my car myself

jtopel

I received this query by email today and it seems that the forum is an ideal way for people to help this chap out. If this method of airing technical problems is acceptable to the forum members, I will post some more as I receive them. Richard Morgan[/quote]

By the way the problem is from James Topel, Tacoma, Washington, USA

UPDATE Saturday, August 06, 2005 9:19 PM "Verry cool, this is the fastest response I have ever recived, I will go through the wiring on the car and clean all the connections, there are some with oil on them....I will let you know if the issue clears up after I get the wiring cleaned up. cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires are new, did them while fixing a valve cover leak" James [email protected]
Last edited by RichardMorgan on Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Icsunonove

Re: Starting Problem

Post by Icsunonove »

Hi Richard,

I might be wrong here, but I don't think there is a code 6 fault :? (someone please correct me quickly if I am wrong).

I don't think there is a code 16 fault either :?

If it's code 26 then it's an Air fuel ratio failure (overly rich). I'm afraid there are quite a few things that can cause this....

Paul Woods is really the best man to ask.

Tom
tunna_uk

Basics first

Post by tunna_uk »

Check all connections and wires under bonnet, coil connections must be clean, good leads, plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm, check ecu connections and main relay, after that it gets more tricky
m3

Post by m3 »

I have a similar problem on my mk1 1985. It takes a long time to start from cold. Once it starts it runs fine. If I stop the engine when warm. It is just as difficult to start when engine warm. Few weeks ago it would start first time. Have changed dizzy cap and rotor arm. Runs better if it will start? :?:
pistol supercharged pete

Post by pistol supercharged pete »

m3 wrote:I have a similar problem on my mk1 1985. It takes a long time to start from cold. Once it starts it runs fine. If I stop the engine when warm. It is just as difficult to start when engine warm. Few weeks ago it would start first time. Have changed dizzy cap and rotor arm. Runs better if it will start? :?:

i had similar with the sc
but in the end it would just not stay started
turned out to be the head gasket and the spak plugs were soaking in coolant
but i doubt this is your prob just worth checking
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

there def is a code 6 its the rpm signal.the book of words tells us its no `ne`,`g` signal to ecu within several seconds after engine is cranked.the rpm signal is generated by the distriubutor so this may be a good place to start.the bgb list dist. ciruit,dist.,igniter,start signal circuit(?),and ecu.
i would take apart all the connectors from your dizzy and igniter/coil give them a good clean and see what happens.as its not a continous fault you may have probs finding it.paul woods is your man but he`s on his hols at the mo.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”