Valve clearance!!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

un1eash

Valve clearance!!

Post by un1eash »

Hi there, will be checking my valve clearance's this weekend so ive got a couple of questions. First will i need the special service tools to remove and adjust the shims. Second i tried to get the cam covers of the other day but they were well and truely stuck , how can i get them of without damaging them??

Cheers
ldavies83

Re: Valve clearance!!

Post by ldavies83 »

Rocker covers come off really easily or so I found out later after banging about a bit!

Remove all the washers from the cover as they are really tight. As soon as you have, it can be removed with the simplest of ease!

As for the shims, you need to replace them with correct size shims. In fact IMOC have a Shim Bank, however you will need to do a search on the forum to track down who has it at the moment. Generally you take the ones you want, drop in your old unused ones, and pay postage to the next member.

HTH (Hope That Helps)
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

You do need a special tool if you're not removing the cams. Otherwise you can improvise. :D

Kev (crazylegs) has the shims at the moment.

You'll need to replace the washers on the cam covers, £12 from MrT or $6 from twosrus.com. Will probably be a good idea to replace the cam cover gasket as well.
superchargedsam

Post by superchargedsam »

the washers can be a PITA to remove but dont be tempted to use normal ones on it after as they will just leak so make sure u get the right ones for it ! the cam covers can still stick a bit but nothing a very light tap with a rubber mallet wont sort as they are only stuck on with the surface tention of any oil under the seals so no biggie !
feral4mr2

Post by feral4mr2 »

do you have the valve clearances and procedure on how to check them? i have pics here somewhere if you need them.
i'd be thinking about checking them 1st as you may not even need to replace any. (just a thought). :)

i forgot i had this in my favourites.
http://ae92gts.com/ae92gts_valve_adj.html
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Cheers for all your help so far.

Ive got 2 new gaskets already and will just be checking the clearances to start of with, if they are all fine my slight knock must be coming from somewhere else. I wasnt gonna change the washers but was gonna just use some gasket sealant. If it leaks i'll have to get washers aswell.

I have all the info on how to change the shims, doesnt look to hard :?
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

the top end of a mk1 very rarely needs to be touched unless you are changing cams so i think you will find the clearances ok .i do have the shim bank shims at the moment,still waiting on my cams :evil: ,so if you need them let me know.vashy has lent his toyota special tool to remove the shims which he is kind enough to allow us to use,a small screw driver or two works for me,so this is also available.I believe we are up to 48 shims now but if anyone has some please send them in to me for inclusion. i do intend to get the micrometer out and mark them all up but have not got round to this yet.
just a thought, it sounds brutal but a sharp bolster works to free the cam covers!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”