LSD MOT Question.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cosmos

LSD MOT Question.

Post by cosmos »

I took my MR2 for a test today and the tester asked me has it got LSD to which i replied yes he then said that he wouldnt do the "individual brake" roller test as one wheel would be rotating and forcing the other wheel to rotate in the opposite direction........not ever heard of this before anyone make sense of this!! Passed.
Last edited by cosmos on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phoenixv8

Re: LSD MOT Question.

Post by phoenixv8 »

As far as I know it shouldn't make any difference. I have MOT'd several different cars each with various types of LSD's (Viscous, Lockers, Welded) and haven't had an issue in the past
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

ok with the standard lsd, it is a certain type of aftermarket one that is a problem on the mr2, cant remember which type though #-o
cosmos

LSD MOT Question.

Post by cosmos »

Racelogic perhaps.............
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

Viscous LSDs is ok

clutch / mechanical types is not
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

My mot tester told me that it could break his tester or my diff, if its fitted as standard it comes up on their computer not to brake test it so you have to tell them if you have added one to the car.

"The brake performance test must be carried out on a properly calibrated and maintained slow-speed roller- brake tester designated as acceptable for the statutory tests, except

· Vehicles for which a roller brake tester is not appropriate, or

· At premises without a roller brake tester where approval has been granted for the test to be carried out by other means

Vehicles not to be tested on a roller brake tester
Certain vehicles should not be tested on a roller brake tester, e.g. vehicles with

· More than one driving axle permanently engaged

· Limited-slip differential

· Belt-driven transmission

· Brakes for which the servo operates only when the vehicle is moving

These vehicles should be tested using a properly calibrated and maintained decelerometer or a plate brake tester designated as acceptable for the statutory tests, see Sub-Section 3.7B and C."
Taken from the testers manual
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Yep any LSD vehicle should not do an individual brake test on the rollers. They go out and do a max rate decel on the road and the vehicle must exceed a certain limit (i think -0.57g but im not sure). If they cant do that your car automatically passes.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”