Will a gearbox from an F reg Mk1b fit a D reg Mk1a...?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Goto10

Will a gearbox from an F reg Mk1b fit a D reg Mk1a...?

Post by Goto10 »

Any issues or a straight swap? (Both NA incidentally) My 2nd gear is a bit notchy/crunchy when driving enthusiastically, I have the opportunity to swap with a good 'box from a later car (that suffered an engine fire) for no cost aside from my time under the cars...assuming it fits of course.
Thanks.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Will a gearbox from an F reg Mk1b fit a D reg Mk1a...?

Post by Lauren »

It should do Steve. The later cars had a bigger flywheel and clutch but i'm sure the splines on the crank are the same so don't see an issue.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
pistol supercharged pete

Post by pistol supercharged pete »

like lauren said i see no issue with it
should be okay
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Let me know if it doesn't - I have a late car and my spare 'box in the garage is from an early one. - I'm sure we can sort out a mutually beneficial exchange if you run into problems.
System-G

Post by System-G »

I have an early spec (85) gearbox with my late spec (88 ) engine running sweet with no probs (only about 10mm gearstick nodding in 5th - not popping right out). I have the late spec flywheel and clutch in there too.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

Cheers guys, anyone know as estimate on how long it'd take to drop a box and reinstall..? I assume I may as well install a new clutch while I'm there...
I would ideally like to do this before Elvington as I am concerned 2nd gear will be a problem there...

(...kaiowas - yes, I'm sure we can if it proves incompatible :) )
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Not a huge problem really, just make sure the car is properly supported as you will be tugging & pulling quite a bit, the only problem area will be on bracket that holds all the clutch hydraulics & gear shift cables as all the cables and pipes are hard walled & the bracket tends to get in the way & get caught up, sometimes altering the angle in which it sits making it difficult to put the bolts back into their holes, other than this its the usual awkwardness of removing the starter motor, also note there is no need to disturb any part of the cooling system when removing the gearbox, i know this may sound obvious but ive seen it done :roll:, other than this just make sure you have a good set of quality sockets & tools to hand & one last thing, when refiting the drive shafts back onto the gearbox make sure you tighten up the 12 little 10mm nuts as hard as you can you dont want these to work their way loose after a while, if you need any further help just ask, hope this helps, Jinxy
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Forgot to add, it should take you approx 3 hours depending on your skill level & you will need an extra pair of willing helpers hands when it comes to putting the box back in especially as your fitting a new clutch. Also the two boxes are totally compatible so no problems there, Jinxy

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”