More pictures up now

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tunna_uk

More pictures up now

Post by tunna_uk »

Check out my pictures, some good shots of rust lurking under the skin. All fixed now!
:)
BenF
Premium Member

Re: More pictures up now

Post by BenF »

Car looks great now - there's a lot of work that has gone into it!

I could do with some advice from a restoration expert though :) My MK1a has rust at the bottom of the A pillar where it meets the sills, which has gone through the bodyshell - I think this is a pic of the offside part of your car:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/garage.php ... od&id=1675

Its due a MOT shortly - and I suspect rust there may be a MOT failure? If it is, and it needs some welding, is it tricky to get the door off its hinges to get access down there?
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

very nice tunna, I like the fact you didnt give up on the car with it rust issues! I nearly did with mine!Can I ask how much your full respray set you back? I could see it in the garage mods.

Oh and Ben,

As far as I know, yes it is a failure. But its really easy to get the door off. Check out the Mk1Club pages for door hinge replacement

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/repairsp38.html

about 5 mins!
tunna_uk

thanks for comments

Post by tunna_uk »

Thanks for your comments-cheers, idavies 83 your comment about giving up is right ! I almost did too, even tho I have been in the Motor Trade for 18 years and I bought the car as a project, I was still surprised to see how much the tin worm had set in, but the thing with the door pillars is that they are DOUBLE Skinned so it can look worse than it actually is. The doors do come off dead easy as you said, but the welding is a bit tricky. It can be done though and I have a long history with Toyota's so I was determined not to give up.
Actually the worst part to get repaired properly was the front anti roll bar mounts, One had disapeared completly and the other side had been bodged.
Most of the sill and door pillar and even the subframe mount rust was due to those bloody sunroof drains dropping water into the sill, and there was no way out due to blocked sill drain holes.
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

How much stripping of the car did you have to do before it was resprayed?
tunna_uk

paint job

Post by tunna_uk »

How much stripping of the car did you have to do before it was resprayed?

Have a look at the pics in my garage, all exterior trim was removed and lights, all door seals and metal trims, boot seals, engine and bonnet seals, doors off,
My mate painted it so I owe him a few cases of beer, he said he wanted to paint the bonnet,engine lid and boot lid and doors and mud flaps and front skirt,and door mirrors, ALL seperately using the same batch of paint obviously for a match. got all the apetures repainted as well and even the underside of all the bonnet, boot and engine lid so its really fresh now. Make that a pub full of beer!
tunna_uk

stevenb

Post by tunna_uk »

Stevenb that looks a nice example you got there.
BenF
Premium Member

Re: thanks for comments

Post by BenF »

tunna_uk wrote:Thanks for your comments-cheers, idavies 83 your comment about giving up is right ! I almost did too, even tho I have been in the Motor Trade for 18 years and I bought the car as a project, I was still surprised to see how much the tin worm had set in, but the thing with the door pillars is that they are DOUBLE Skinned so it can look worse than it actually is. The doors do come off dead easy as you said, but the welding is a bit tricky. It can be done though and I have a long history with Toyota's so I was determined not to give up.
Actually the worst part to get repaired properly was the front anti roll bar mounts, One had disapeared completly and the other side had been bodged.
Most of the sill and door pillar and even the subframe mount rust was due to those bloody sunroof drains dropping water into the sill, and there was no way out due to blocked sill drain holes.

Thanks for that and the link to that post ldavies83 :)

Looks like I should book the car in for some welding then...

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”