Hi I'm new

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tunna_uk

Hi I'm new

Post by tunna_uk »

:D Hi there at last a forum for the Mk 1, I'm very pleased! My name is Paul from smoggie land (Teeside) and I have just finished rebuilding my Mk 1. It took up a lot of time and effort, and I would like to thank my friend and collegue Ronnie who painted the car, and also Atlas Garage who carried out the tricky Welding.

Now I am going to enjoy the car and the Club scene and probably carry out some suspension mods during the winter.

If anyone is interested, I have many pictures and advice about restoring the Mk1 so feel free to ask questions.

Please check out my Sunroof Drain modification because this design fault on the Mk 1 is probably killing a lot of Mk1's off to the nackers yard. If you have a Mk1 I would advise you to change yours especially if it stays out in all weather.

Cheers and happy AW11's
Paul 8)
waynestoyotamr2

Re: Hi I'm new

Post by waynestoyotamr2 »

Welcome Tunna!!!!

What is the sunroof drain method then!??

and Where is the front valance matey??
"If in doubt - just make the numbers up!" ;)
tunna_uk

Cheers Mate

Post by tunna_uk »

Basically you will need to put up on stands, remove the front wheels and plastic wheel arch liners. Get rid of any crap that has built up behind. Now go inside car and remove the Kick panels ( see my picture in modifications) and shine a light up there and you will see a tube which is the sunroof drain, leading down into the sill. Pull it out carefully from the sill.
Now go back under your wheel arch and drill a hole through the panel that the door bolts onto (slightly larger diameter than the tube) so you can pull the tube through it and outside and it will sit behind the plastic wheel arch liner. Put some nice waxoil on your drill hole and pull tube through. Repeat other side.
Rebuild.
No more water draining into sills and causing internal corrosion to structure.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Hi I'm new

Post by Lauren »

Hi Tunna,

Yep pics and a write up would be cool, because everyone can benefit then. You can upload pics to the album and compile an article then we can put it all together (with help from Esmond!) to get it into the knowledge base.

Welcome btw. :)
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
tunna_uk

more pictures soon

Post by tunna_uk »

Ok I will get some more pictures up soon. By the way the reason my front valance is missing on the picture is because the car was not quite finished in that picture, hope to get a picture up soon of the car finished, it looks like a wedge in that photo :lol:
stevenb

Re: Cheers Mate

Post by stevenb »

tunna_uk wrote:Basically you will need to put up on stands, remove the front wheels and plastic wheel arch liners. Get rid of any crap that has built up behind. Now go inside car and remove the Kick panels ( see my picture in modifications) and shine a light up there and you will see a tube which is the sunroof drain, leading down into the sill. Pull it out carefully from the sill.
Now go back under your wheel arch and drill a hole through the panel that the door bolts onto (slightly larger diameter than the tube) so you can pull the tube through it and outside and it will sit behind the plastic wheel arch liner. Put some nice waxoil on your drill hole and pull tube through. Repeat other side.
Rebuild.
No more water draining into sills and causing internal corrosion to structure.

Is this new hole made safe from the elements? :-k
tunna_uk

Sunroof drain

Post by tunna_uk »

Is this new hole made safe from the elements?

Yes it should be because it is behind the wheel arch liner, to be extra safe you could put a rubber grommet in but I just made sure the hole was just big enough for the pipe.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”