2zz-ge engine with 1zz crank

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mav122

2zz-ge engine with 1zz crank

Post by Mav122 »

I'm thinking about buying a mk3 MR2 but know I won't be happy with the power after owning a 180bhp mk1 supercharger then an Fto. want rwd economic fun again so fto needs to go and mk3 MR2 seems like my best option :P.

Putting the 2zz-ge engine in seems an appealing idea. Will the 1zz crank fit right in the 2zz block so that's it's stroked does anyone know? Also what power gains could I expect from doing this?

Apart from an engine mount, ecu and manifold will the engine fit straight into the mk3? will the mk3 5 speed box fit? Alternatively what mods if any needs to be done to the celica 6 speed box with the 2zz-ge to fit the mr2?

Any help appreciated.
Ekona

Re: 2zz-ge engine with 1zz crank

Post by Ekona »

I wouldn't bother faffing around with creating some kind of 3ZZ hybrid (and I know there's a proper 3ZZ before anyone picks up on that ;) ), it's not a proven solution as the guys in the US will testify to. Far better to leave the 2ZZ stock apart from some cryo'd lift bolts as they're a weak link, then stick a PFC or similar on and tune it for a reliable 200bhp-ish.

IIRC engine mounts will need altering along with a new manifold, ECU can be done but far better to just go PFC. You won't want the 5-speed 'box as the ratios are all wrong for staying in lift, the 6-speed 'box is what you need. You'll also need to make alterations to the wiring loom and the dipstick.
Mav122

Post by Mav122 »

someone does an adaptor flange for the manifold so that will be ok if I can get one, the pfc would be a down the line thing in 6 months but def good idea. Far as cryo'd bolts go i've read about them and there seems to be split opinion, some people say that yes they def wear longer but when they do break they do more damage and you can end up replacing the shaft.

Handy to know about the dipstick, done some more research and found aftermarket one for peanuts... phew. What alterations need to be made to the loom? is it a case of connectors are different on say injectors or something so you need to cut loom and solder new connector on? or is it more complicated than that?

I've also heard about immobiliser issues, any thoughts on this?
ilogik

Post by ilogik »

If you get the power FC you won't need the whole imob thing.

Best bet is buy a complete package i.e rear end celica or even just buy a used celica gt-s or corolla tsport and break the rest. Can be had for around 2k.

All the swap bits you need can be bought from either monkeywrenchracing.com or Che over on spyderchat.

If I was doing my swap again i would have forked out a bit more and gone direct to a power fc.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”