mazda3 mx sport thingy?

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Marf

Re: mazda3 mx sport thingy?

Post by Marf »

matt_mr2t wrote:Annoyingly, due to these obscene tax brackets, emissions are a sales winner these days.

I say obscene as IMO, it should be based on yearly mileage not emissions.

Whilst I agree with mileage being more of an indicator of overall emissions than simple banding, I only see two ways of doing it that dont open it up to being dodged.

1) Put VED on fuel. You pay as you drive.

2) GPS track every car reporting its movements back to a central system which charges you as you drive.

Not sure I like either option.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Alternatively, keep fuel the same price and use the tax they already take on it as VED.

Or pay your car tax every year at the MOT based on your mileage. Although obviously thats going to increase the number of clocked cars out there. :evil:
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Putting all the taxes on the fuel and doing away with the tax disc except as visual evidence of valid insurance is the only fair way of doing it. That way you pay more if you have a high emissions car and also pay more if you do a high mileage.

It's a no brainer really. Only down side is you can bet the government will ensure it ends up costing even more than now, even though there is no justification for it doing so :thumbdown:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Polypedates wrote:Putting all the taxes on the fuel and doing away with the tax disc except as visual evidence of valid insurance is the only fair way of doing it. That way you pay more if you have a high emissions car and also pay more if you do a high mileage.

Is it?
Surely you can have two different cars that achieve the same 40mpg, but one puts out more CO2 than the other?
Marf

Post by Marf »

JohnnyC wrote:
Polypedates wrote:Putting all the taxes on the fuel and doing away with the tax disc except as visual evidence of valid insurance is the only fair way of doing it. That way you pay more if you have a high emissions car and also pay more if you do a high mileage.

Is it?
Surely you can have two different cars that achieve the same 40mpg, but one puts out more CO2 than the other?

Think about it.

If two engines both give average the same MPG they are using the same amount of fuel over a given mileage, so would put out the same amount of CO2.

Return to “Driving Experiences”