ARDS @ Rockingham anyone?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rogue

ARDS @ Rockingham anyone?

Post by Rogue »

Hi All,

I'll be competing in the MR2 challenge this year (in a '95 mk2) so I need to take my ARDS test to get a race license. I'm planning to do this at Rockingham so I phoned them up today to get some dates. As of yet the calender isn't set but they suggested that the next available day would be early in February.

The course is limited to around 8 people and includes everything you need to do to gain your license (excluding the actual MSA application which you should have prepared in advance) - there's even the chance to retake a test again on the day if you fail it.

Last year the day cost £311.00 and this price includes the medical exam you need (it's cheaper if you already have this) - this year's price is TBC but should be about the same.

Since there are only eight places and I know of another two or three MR2 guys who are planning to go down at the same time, I thought I'd post the details up here. Maybe we could make it an MR2 exclusive day? :wink:

Rogue
Dave Goodhand

Re: ARDS @ Rockingham anyone?

Post by Dave Goodhand »

Good stuff, all I can say is that its straight forward. Know your flags - if you get 1 wrong you fail. But there are other questions such as insurance etc, but this is mainly common sense.

As for the driving part, don't spin, dont use the kerbs, and don't be over confident, as you'll be frowned upon. Usually an instructor goes out and sets a lap and you need to be about 10s within that time. You only get a few laps though - they'll explain it on the day though. And also if you don't use the brakes enough they will fail you too.

I did mine at Goodwood, wasn't difficult at all.

Good luck!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Hey Patrick

I'm interested, keep me in the loop about dates.

Toni
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Right, Charlene at Rockingham has got back to me and the next ARDS day is Friday 11th February. The price is £311.38 inclusive of both VAT and medical (Silverstone charge £350.00 without the medical) and there's the possibility of a discount if I get a group together.

I'll be booking later this week, so anyone else who can make it, please get back to me sooner rather than later.

Cheers,

Rogue
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Drop me a line to the usual address...I'll check it out diary wise.
T
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Rogue wrote:Hi All,

I'll be competing in the MR2 challenge this year (in a '95 mk2) ...

Rogue

Oi Patrick, I just saw on the MK1 club site that Red Dragon have opened up the series to PRE-94 MK2s....

T
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Hi Toni,

Just read the article and it looks to have been written some time ago...

Cheers,

Patrick
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Best check though eh??

T
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

tonigmr2 wrote:Best check though eh??

I'm fairly confident - we [Rogue Systems] we're involved in setting the requirements for the mk2 cars with Steve and I have a printed copy of the entry rules... :wink:

The only mk2s that are excluded are those with 3SGTE or 3SGE BEAMS VVTi engines.

Rogue
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Ah!

Do you know if anyone else is going to be racing a MK2?
T
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

tonigmr2 wrote:Do you know if anyone else is going to be racing a MK2?

Tom Solan apparently has one en-route from Japland (a revision 2 car I think) and I know Steve mentioned a few others, including a guy who was planning to use his race car as his daily driver also!

I'll almost certainly use our race car on the road as well while we're building my MR-S. I'm not too fussed about being a hardcore racing driver so I won't be going to extremes with the car - I just want a regular supply of MR2 trackdays to enjoy. That said, I don't want to be a straggler either! :twisted:

Any further with your entry plans?

Rogue
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Not really, I keep looking at different MK1s with a half thought I'd like to do it, but am not really motivated if I'm honest...plus a little skinto with the TC build and skyline eating up cash like it's going out of fashion!
T

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”