[Mk3] [Turbo] Manual Boost Controller VS Electronic Boost Controller

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sw20GTS

[Mk3] [Turbo] Manual Boost Controller VS Electronic Boost Controller

Post by sw20GTS »

Let's say I am running stock ECU, stock engine, stock fuelling and the only mods are FMIC, straight intake, downpipe, de-cat and SS exhaust.

My target boost will only be around factory levels, not planning going higher than 1.2bar. Would an EBC make a lot of difference from a MBC?

Any thoughts?
sms14

Re: [Mk3] [Turbo] Manual Boost Controller VS Electronic Boost Controller

Post by sms14 »

Just my 2 cents mate but i very much dought it, i run exhaust,filter,downpipe and st205 on mine at 1.2bar with a gts chris mbc and ive never had any issues with it at all.

In comparison i used too have an avcr which used too constantly overboost when it got quite cold, hence the switch to the mbc, i never noticed any difference between the two!
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

[quote="sw20GTS"]Let's say I am running stock ECU, stock engine, stock fuelling and the only mods are FMIC, straight intake, downpipe, de-cat and SS exhaust.

You have a front mount intercooler? far out dude 8)
DaveB19

Post by DaveB19 »

You'll need a FCD as well if turning the boost up.
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Did notice with my gts chris mbc that now its a little damp/cold it did boost to .98 (rev2) from .91 when temps normalish ,so was thinking along the lines of a Gizmo ibc which has had very good reviews and will keep boost down better than the others as it constantly adjusts (so I've been informed).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gizzmo-IBC-Electr ... 5639c47a5e

:thumleft: Paul
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
aw11rally

Gizzmo

Post by aw11rally »

Gizzmo now do an MS2 EBC which is even better!
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

MBC's are good, cant complain at what you get for the £

I switched from a GTS Chris MBC to an AVCR, and the difference is huge. The best gain is allowing full control of when the boost comes in and how hard, something you cant adjust with an MBC
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Dale_V wrote:MBC's are good, cant complain at what you get for the £

I switched from a GTS Chris MBC to an AVCR, and the difference is huge. The best gain is allowing full control of when the boost comes in and how hard, something you cant adjust with an MBC

that's what i was gonna say, i've never personally used one but i beleive it's a"gain" setting or something?? i assume you'd just have it set so the boost comes on as hard and quick as possible,

as for FCD, give s-bits a call, i'm sure the one for a GT4 would be the dame as a MR2, i could wire it in for you if you like :thumleft:
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

Razor04 wrote:
sw20GTS wrote:Let's say I am running stock ECU, stock engine, stock fuelling and the only mods are FMIC, straight intake, downpipe, de-cat and SS exhaust.

You have a front mount intercooler? far out dude 8)

hehe it's for my GT4 :oops: but I thought I would ask here since it's basically the same engine :D

I already have an MBC I found lying in the car, not sure what make is it.

I really don't want to spend too much £££ if an MBC would suffice for my use. Just a bit doubtful since I heard baaaaaaaaaad things about using an MBC such as you will blow your turbo etc etc

@ sheppy : Would I even need a Fuel Cut Defender(sp?) if I am not planning to go for massive boost levels? At the moment I don't think I am even anywhere close to factory boost limit.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

what's your engine?? rev3?? fuel cut is 17psi(iirc) so you wouldn't need one if you we're running under that, i think the s-bits FCD only goes to 17psi anyway, so it'd be pointless lol, if you want this MBC hooked up and VSV disabled though i can help with that :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

sheppy wrote:what's your engine?? rev3?? fuel cut is 17psi(iirc) so you wouldn't need one if you we're running under that, i think the s-bits FCD only goes to 17psi anyway, so it'd be pointless lol, if you want this MBC hooked up and VSV disabled though i can help with that :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Aye was thinking of doing this first to save some £££ lulz. I have one in my car somewhere. Already spent sh!tloads getting the car serviced :(

How long will hooking the MBC up take mate? Car's still in the garage but should get it back this weekend.

edit: Also, how do you know how much to turn the MBC though? I have a boost gauge but but I don't know how accurate that is lol.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

first rule

NEVER fit mbc with out an accurate boost gauge its the most important thing ive ever fitted to my car.

buy a guage and wind mbc right in so its at lowest setting, then repeat on an air feild prefereable untill correct boost setting is reached
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

loudandproud205 wrote:first rule

NEVER fit mbc with out an accurate boost gauge its the most important thing ive ever fitted to my car.

buy a guage and wind mbc right in so its at lowest setting, then repeat on an air feild prefereable untill correct boost setting is reached

hmmm, there's an airport here but I doubt I will get to have a run on their runway :(
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

+1, it's a bit of a pain but once it's done you won't need to do it again, i set mine t 1 bar and haven't touched it since!! :thumleft:
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Was a bit worried about 1 bar on my rev2,about to fit bungs on the japspeed so that may bring it down a bit.

The MBC works just fine once its set,just be aware on cold days it may boost a bit more.

Paul :thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

mine spikes like a like a right son of a b.... proberly due to trying to locate it in the cabin where i wanted it :(

think il spend today putting it in the engine bay but what an ass it will be if i want to adjust it :(
sw20GTS

Post by sw20GTS »

sheppy wrote:

+1, it's a bit of a pain but once it's done you won't need to do it again, i set mine t 1 bar and haven't touched it since!! :thumleft:

yeah but where do I find an airfield here to test :lol:
Guess should just set it at the lowest first and drive it few times?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

sw20GTS wrote:
sheppy wrote:what's your engine?? rev3?? fuel cut is 17psi(iirc) so you wouldn't need one if you we're running under that, i think the s-bits FCD only goes to 17psi anyway, so it'd be pointless lol, if you want this MBC hooked up and VSV disabled though i can help with that :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

How long will hooking the MBC up take mate? Car's still in the garage but should get it back this weekend.

meant to say, it should only take a few minutes, although blocking up the VSV was a total b*stard on the mr2 so may take longer :-k
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

yeah thats what i did set it low then 3rd gear full boost,

i repeated in 4th just to make sure all was tickety boo
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ebc > mbc any day of the week.

Return to “Modifications”