What wheels are people running on the Mk3?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

What size rims are on your Mk3?

15", inc 15" F+R OEM
33%
15"F / 16"R OEM
33%
16"
13%
17"
20%
18"
No votes
19"
No votes

Total votes: 15

Keri-WMS

What wheels are people running on the Mk3?

Post by Keri-WMS »

Most people seem to stick with Toyota's original rims, but it would be interesting to see what other sizes people have adopted! :D
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

I'd like 17's one day but got sick of them on the Turbo Mk2. Smack, crash etc
ilogik

Re: What wheels are people running on the Mk3?

Post by ilogik »

BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

I'm running the post facelift 15 / 16" alloys, but only so I can get the Lotus Advan Neova tyres that were fitted to the S1 Elise - they're shockingly good tyres.

If I was wanting a set to 'play' with at normal road speeds, and also for track use - the early 15" standard rims with Toyo T1R's are definitely the ones to go for - very neutral and progressively playful with the throttle.

Personally - 16" and 17" rims with shorter sidewalls mean a more abrupt loss of grip, and less progression. I've got a set of TRD Sportivo springs and struts which I haven't fitted as they would also reduce the progressiveness of the car - but I do have the Sportivo ARBs on.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

How are the Lotus Advan in the wet Ben? It's Michelles car and I wouldn't want to make it any trickier in the wet for her.

R.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Fantastic basically - I'd recommended them unreservedly, and I'm a picky bu88er normally. By far the best tyre I'd driven, wet or dry.

The only fault I could put on them ( and its not a major one ) is as they wear down you get more tyre / road noise, and with the tread pattern on it can sound like a wheel bearing on its way out.

Yes a set will cost ~ £440ish against a set of T1Rs coming in at around 220 but the additional grip and progression is worth it.

Tyre wear rate is fine too on the Neovas - they're not some super soft special that wears out in a few thousand miles. I'm doing ~ 10-15k miles on a set of rears, and 20-25k for the fronts.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”