Johnny G's 3.4 litre V6 Turbo

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Johnny G

Johnny G's 3.4 litre V6 Turbo

Post by Johnny G »

The 5VZ-FE monster built lump thats about to grace my engine bay has come all the way from Canada (Built by Johnny Riglietti of Sea2Sky Tuning) and will support crazy BHP - hopefully. Just needs a bit of detailing to make it look the part but trust me this is one seriously built motor.

Headwork...

This is going to be a mammoth build, and promises to be the highest BHP machine ever to leave Woodsport, by quite a bit!

Fuel pumps
Both walbro pumps are now installed in the tank.

In other news Paul started extending the rear light harness, this is so he can relocate the fusebox in the engine bay to make room for other interesting stuff Image

Chargecooler
Part of running a huge BHP turbocharged v6 monster is keeping things cool, more importantly the intake charge, so some serious cooling was called for, prepare to meet the chargecooler from hell....

Im told this monster, nicknamed "johnnys fridge", will support a 1000 BHP application, and keep the intake temps down no matter what we do.

Its so f'kin huge this was pretty much the only place we can mount it was in the boot as the engine bay isnt big enough for both the engine/turbo and cooler, and thats without all the plumbing running between them all! so this location isnt out of choice, its the ONLY place it will go, but its a nice neat "out of the way" place for it that can also be supplied be additional side vent air cooling if need be....

We just sit staring at it sometimes in awe Image the outlet pipes are 4" diameter on that b'stard!

Here is the access hole Paul cut in the rear wall for the CC pipes to enter the engine bay,these need fine trimming and dressing but you get the idea....

So thats the fridge's position mocked up,want to see the CC again? ok..... Image

When I first showed Paul this thing he was shaking his head in disbelief!

Detailing
Paul turned his attention to the engine detailing, starting with cam covers, painted in Toyota Royal Sapphire Pearl (same colour as my Supra).

And here is the engine in its current state. Note its running the stock injectors and fuel rails for now,this is so we can bed the engine in with no boost. When we are happy enough for the boost to be brought in the fuelling will happen and in very large volumes!

Also Paul welded the oil return into the sump.

The engine bay was given a respray, it was in a bad state and no mistake and afterwards, the bay has a nice monster 5VZ-FE hanging in it.

Plumbing
Paul got this huge turbo mounted where it keeps everything happy. Its huge.

Paul made a preliminary bracket that takes the bulk of the weight, he's also going to add various support brackets as it takes shape, but for now this has the turbo sitting where he wants it.

This build is more function over form,not much fancy detailing work going on but we still want to keep things looking reasonably pretty!

The turbo is puroseful though.

Garrett GT4094R
Compressor
67.8mm inducer
94.0mm exducer
52 trim
0.72A/R

Turbine
77.0mm Wheel Diameter
78 trim
1.06A/R
Free floar

0.95A/R Turbine housing.

Suffice to say, that this will be pushing around 65lb/min which we're hoping will be north of 550bhp, but very drivable with positive boost from 2400rpm and holding easily to the red line.

This is the main plenum tube, its 100mm diam, and should be around 400mm long, that will give us a volume of around 3.1 ltrs excluding the runners....

Behind that you can make out the plate thats going onto the centre plenum, 6 weld els will join plenum to plate. They are tricky little blighters to fit in a row, Paul is going to have to seam weld them all together.

So there's a ton of fabrication work to do to this plenum alone, and he's also got to sort idle speed control along with a million other headaches I have given him, deepest joy.

He managed to fabricate up the exhaust manifold to turbo pipes, kept them nice and flowing. Just waiting for a 2nd turbo flange to arrive before the pipe is completed.

Paul fabbed up the Tial external waste gate,this is positioned in such a way that we can easily plumb it into the turbo down pipe, but I've told Paul that its to have a screamer pipe fitted, still at least the choice is there either way now to have a recirculating pipe.

Also made a start on the plenum. He's making this out of mild steel, here are the intake runners welded on,these have been extended.

Its a huge amount of work but its great fun!

Here is the plenum bit, obviously in its raw state....

And it mocked up in situ....

Tell me that isn't the scariest f'kin thing you ever saw!!

I promise it will look better when its finished!

Oh yes and here's the throttle body, a 90mm thing off something big!

Overview of where we are now, can you smell the BHP???

Last edited by Johnny G on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
Johnny G

Re: Johnny G's 3.4 litre V6 Turbo

Post by Johnny G »

Paul seam-welded the plenum up, he had to make sure the welds were as perfect as he could make them, one pinhole and it will lose boost.

Pretty good i reckon.

Then the plenum section was seam welded on, again taking utmost care with every weld.

Then attention turned to the end plate, he added two unions here, one for brake servo and the other for boost gauge/map sensor etc. He can add more later if need be.

Next came the idle speed controller, we are using a 3VZ-FE ISCV for this engine. On goes the adapter plate.

And then a trial fit of the plenum in the bay with ISCV.

He also dummy rigged the throttle body onto the plenum for intake pipe fabrication, there's a custom throttle body plate on its way.

3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Paul did get some things done, this is the chargecooler to TB pipe, it houses the BOV and also the ISCV bypass pipe.

So we just need the silicon couplers and some paint on these parts and it can be fitted.

Paul also found a home for the air filter,its going to be mounted right in the passenger side vent, you don't get colder air than that.

Also he got the turbo to chargecooler pipe fabbed up, again needs paint but it was a tricky pipe to navigate around the engine bay.

Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

The throttle body flange arrived from AH-CNC, cheers mate, work of art as per usual.

In hindsight we could have made the plate a few mm bigger, Paul's welds are just encroaching on the nice engraving Adam did, but its worked out OK.
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

OK! Another mental day of turbocharged 5VZ'ery. Paul got the charge cooler couplers dummy fitted and all pipework to and from the turbo/throttle body sorted.

Everything is really starting to come together now. He also finished off the wastegate section.

He spent a few hours on the exhaust downpipe, starting with this pipe running along the front of the engine.

From here it does a sharp 90* downwards using this.

Here it is under the car.

So this will give an identical routing for an Mr2 exhaust system from here on in, another angle of the exhaust outlet...

And a few sexy overviews of the whole bay now,nothing especially detailed yet but looks mean as hell....

We really are pushing the boundaries with this build, I don't think anyone in the UK MR2 scene is doing anything quite as mad as this!
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Some nice pictures ..

The harness was made up, trimming down the original one

Then it was time to put the injectors in, 1000cc

And then all fitted!

Also added a flexi to the turbo inlet pipe, it was tricky to remove and it will also help prevent cracking.I also got it all wrapped and ready for the final install.

Aeromotive RR-FPR installed and mounted nicely

Custom plenum all prepared, painted and installed now

The engine bay is getting fuller by the day, all heater, turbo and rad lines are now done, as well as a custom coolant filler assembly.

99% of the chargecooler set up in the boot is now finished, i had to make another adapter so that a filler neck could be added and i still have an expansion reservoir to add but this is nearly there.

Custom fitting of a MK2 N/A alternator, brake servo hose and one way valve fitted, ISCV bypass hose added,throttle body coolant lines fitted and fuel return line plumbed.

Paul wired up the ignition amplifier, the injector resistor pack, the starter relay, alternator loom made from scratch, idle speed control valve harness made and all signal wires for the dash installed. He labelled the whole lot up too so Ryan from 2BarTuning's work should be simpler.
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

With the driveshafts fitted and rear ABS hubs installed (GT-S spec car did not have ABS but we need them for the traction control which is built into the Solaris S6 ECU ), it was time to turn attention to the massive brake upgrade this car is getting.

On the rear we are using supra discs which are going to be mounted on specially made hat spacers that will sit between the hub and disc, this gives us the correct offset to clear the hub and calliper. Then it's planned to mount an MR2 rear caliper onto this disc.

And here, behind 18x10" wheels +ET20

Now to compliment the mad rear upgrade how does this grab you on the front.
Yes, they're 911 Turbo calipers!

And again, behind an 18x8.5" +ET20 wheel...
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Paul has now plumbed up the breather system via the oil catch can. This was tricky because he had 8mm, 10mm, 12mm and 14mm ID fittings on everything and had to make it all plumb together. We got there in the end. Needless to say ordering parts for a 5VZ turbo is not simple!

We have also redone the fuel pressure regulator, the fittings it came with failed during start-up so i have had to make those from scratch and used some Teflon coated braided fuel line as well.

Work has also started in plumbing up the chargecooler system, the pump is now wired and the pipes run via the drivers rear inner wing as there is simply no safe route via the engine bay.

Here is how she looks now, still a lot of tidying up to do....

Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Some more little bits done in the boot. The Charge Cooler expansion bottle is now plumbed.

And a bracket made for the Solaris S6GP ECU

The harness still needs wrapping but we can't do that until the ABS sensor wires are all connected.

I've kept the road-testing to a minimum and got it in when I could, thanks to the great English weather. Been out in it today (29th Dec) and it was a little jerky on the basemap.

Luckily, I had a friend come and visit me, some of you might have heard of him, his name is Ryan Griffiths of 2Bar Tuning

Yes, ladies and gents, my fabled white beast is now mapped!!!

Conditions were not the best, it was cold, but dry at least. So, we did around town "manners" driving. Some motorway "manners" driving, then we hit the boost...

0.2bar @ 1800rpm
0.5bar @ 2400rpm
0.9bar @ 3100rpm
1.1bar @ 3300rpm

Because of the conditions, etc we just mapped in 5500rpm and 1.1bar of boost, but rest assured, it's obscene. It's MENTALLY quick.

Ryan, the mapper, said it's VERY QUICK and has a lot more to come from a relatively conservative road map - it's the best Birthday present I've ever had!!

He was impressed with the work on the car and is looking forward to see what it yields - as we all are.

The way it gathers pace in 5th gear is just sensational. The noise of the turbo and wastegate mental, mental chicken oriental!
wadeski

Post by wadeski »

eeek :shock:
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

This excites me...

:D
benGT

Post by benGT »

holy moly.

um, can I hear it please!!!
craig

Post by craig »

That's 'kin mental!! Excellent job with the engine mate! Gotta be chuffed with that! :twisted: :twisted:
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Holy crap :twisted:

Looks like fun

Paul :thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Jesus, Mary & Joseph!! That thing is gonna be impressive!!
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

WOW, i really can`t wait for this to be finished, i`m excited and it`s not even my car \:D/ :clap:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Very enjoyable read, Awesome build, any clips of the engine sound?

Must say well done for giving this project a go and muchos respect to yourself and Paul, only two more things i would like to add, Happy birthday and sell me your car =P~ =P~
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

Congratulations mate, cant wait for a spin in it!

An engine the car deserves after all you its/you have been through!

A massive effort by everyone envolved :thumleft:
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

Cheers everyone :)

Car is now outside my house, begging to be driven, but I won't take it out in the rain...

... wait till tomorrow :P

I'll get some new pictures up asap!
craig

Post by craig »

Looking forward to more pics! :D

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”