Would this Turbo be a straight swap?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Hedgehog Dodger

Would this Turbo be a straight swap?

Post by Hedgehog Dodger »

Thinking of upgrading the Turbo on my motor, but need to know if this would be a straight swap.

HKS GT3037s (what it is at present)

COMPRESSOR:
-Wheel- 52/56 Trims - 55.0/57.0 Inducers / 76.2 Major
-Housing- 100 Inlet / 50 Outlet - 0.60 A/R
TURBINE:
-Wheel- 84 Trim - 60.0 Major / 55.0 Exducer
-Housing- GT25 inlet / External GT30 outlet; 0.61, 0.73, 0.87, 1.01, 1.12 A/R

HKS GT3240

COMPRESSOR:
-Wheel- 54 Trim - 60.3 Inducer / 82.0 Major
-Housing- 100 Inlet / 60 Outlet - 0.60 A/R
TURBINE:
-Wheel- 84 Trim - 54.0 Major / 58.7 Exducer
-Housing- GT25 inlet / External GT30 outlet - 0.87 A/R

Thanks fellas

:D
stevecordiner

Re: Would this Turbo be a straight swap?

Post by stevecordiner »

Would've thought the two things you need to look at are the flange to the manifold .... e.g. is it a T3 or a T4 or something else. And then also the flange to the downpipe.
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
Hedgehog Dodger

stevecordiner wrote:Would've thought the two things you need to look at are the flange to the manifold .... e.g. is it a T3 or a T4 or something else. And then also the flange to the downpipe.

Ahh right, so you cant tell from that INFO?

I will get some more :)
Attila

Post by Attila »

It is not a straight bolt on turbo, none of the current Garrett turbos are.
Actually none of the currently available turbos are bolt on.

You got to get a complete kit, or buy a turbo that you think is suitable, and make an exhaust manifold, or adapter plate, oil and water lines, and a downpipe. This is not an easy job.

I think that the best turbo for our application from Garretts new GT lineup is the GT32. The STi owners have very goo dresults whit lightning spool and it can support up to 400-420whp.
jonno

Post by jonno »

Maybe you should have read his post, he is already running a GT series turbo and so if the inlet and exhaust manifolds match it should just drop on.

For what its worth I *think* they are both 4" inlet and use the same exhaust adapter pate so it should fit but I am not 100%

Why are you changing it anyway Dan, not enough power? ;)
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
Attila

Post by Attila »

aoch, my bad, sorry! :)
Attila

Post by Attila »

I just checked the specs, the 3037 is a T3 flange, and the 3240 is a T25 Flange, it won't work.

What is your goal whit the upgrade? The Garrett GT3071R mihgt suite your taste, whit more power and probably somewhat less lag, then your current turbo. It will be also significanéty cheaper then the HKS unit.
Attila

Post by Attila »

hmmm, i hate this bbullshit whit different specs anywhere i look, HKS says both have the T25 flange, elsewhere i had different specs...funny.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Tilus wrote:I just checked the specs, the 3037 is a T3 flange, and the 3240 is a T25 Flange, it won't work.

What is your goal whit the upgrade? The Garrett GT3071R mihgt suite your taste, whit more power and probably somewhat less lag, then your current turbo. It will be also significanéty cheaper then the HKS unit.

Why do you say it would give more power? THey run the exact same turbine wheel, and the compressor wheel is smaller on the GT3071R, although a couple of points more efficient in general, but doesn't have the ultimate flow capabilities of the T04S wheel in the GT3037.
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Dan, which HKS 3037 is it exactly, as there are internally and externally gated versions? The spec you posted suggests external? (Actually, you haven't posted ONE spec, but the range of options).

That's another thing you need to compare between your current and proposed turbo. Obviously, if one has an internal wastegate, and the other external, then it's not going to be a simple bolt on, flanges aside.
Hedgehog Dodger

MR2Mania wrote:Dan, which HKS 3037 is it exactly, as there are internally and externally gated versions? The spec you posted suggests external? (Actually, you haven't posted ONE spec, but the range of options).

That's another thing you need to compare between your current and proposed turbo. Obviously, if one has an internal wastegate, and the other external, then it's not going to be a simple bolt on, flanges aside.

Its the HKS GT3037s (not the PROs, just the s) with a HKS external Wastegate :)
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Hedgehog Dodger wrote:

In which case, I think you shouldn't have a problem with the wastegate.

That HKS turbo seems to be a similar spec to the GT3040 that Fensport list on this page:
http://www.fensport.co.uk/partsfiles/sw20tuning.htm.

However, I think the turbine side will be slightly different. For reference, HKS's naming system uses the first 2 digits for the turbine side, and the last 2 for the compressor side, so a 3240 means it's got a GT32 turbine and GT40 compressor wheel. The GT40 compressor is the one used in the Garrett GT35, so has got a LOT of potential. ;)

I've got a feeling that you can't get a Garrett equivalent for the turbine side (although Garrett supply HKS with the components, certain specs are reserved for HKS only, although occassionally they do slip by).

The good thing is, if you get a Garrett turbo, it'll be a fair bit cheaper than the HKS equivalent. ;)
Hedgehog Dodger

jonno wrote:Maybe you should have read his post, he is already running a GT series turbo and so if the inlet and exhaust manifolds match it should just drop on.

For what its worth I *think* they are both 4" inlet and use the same exhaust adapter pate so it should fit but I am not 100%

I need to beat Andy F. now.....so far he has the quickest Tubby on IMOC (with proof of RR result)

Car didnt manage it in on Friday....too busy. Deffo this week though!

stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Hedgehog Dodger wrote:
jonno wrote:Maybe you should have read his post, he is already running a GT series turbo and so if the inlet and exhaust manifolds match it should just drop on.

I need to beat Andy F. now.....so far he has the quickest Tubby on IMOC (with proof of RR result)

He he ... actually I believe JJ currently has the quickest tubby on imoc, Andy has the highest dyno print :D
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
Hedgehog Dodger

stevecordiner wrote:
Hedgehog Dodger wrote:

He he ... actually I believe JJ currently has the quickest tubby on imoc, Andy has the highest dyno print :D

True True :D
Hedgehog Dodger

MR2Mania wrote:
Hedgehog Dodger wrote:

In which case, I think you shouldn't have a problem with the wastegate.

That HKS turbo seems to be a similar spec to the GT3040 that Fensport list on this page:
http://www.fensport.co.uk/partsfiles/sw20tuning.htm.

However, I think the turbine side will be slightly different. For reference, HKS's naming system uses the first 2 digits for the turbine side, and the last 2 for the compressor side, so a 3240 means it's got a GT32 turbine and GT40 compressor wheel. The GT40 compressor is the one used in the Garrett GT35, so has got a LOT of potential. ;)

I've got a feeling that you can't get a Garrett equivalent for the turbine side (although Garrett supply HKS with the components, certain specs are reserved for HKS only, although occassionally they do slip by).

The good thing is, if you get a Garrett turbo, it'll be a fair bit cheaper than the HKS equivalent. ;)

Dino fella.

The GT3037s & GT3240 both have the T25 Flange. The Trim and Inducers are different sizes (whatever they are) so do you think that would be a straight swap.

Return to “Modifications”