My new and improved MK3 turbo Thanks to Rogue + Thor Racing

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ilogik

My new and improved MK3 turbo Thanks to Rogue + Thor Racing

Post by ilogik »

After going the N/A tuning route with Crower stage 1 cams + power FC, I felt I still needed more. Originally planning on a turbo then wimping out, I then jumped head first at the bullet and dived right in.

I felt it was only logical to get Rogue, well trusted garage of mine to do the work, and great job they did fitting the kit.

I purchased a TTE kit as I heard good story's about the kit, the other reason was this kit kept my current exhaust, as i really hate the ones that come with some of the other kits.

The car made 195 fwhp (171 whp) + 161 torque, @8 psi , problem faced is my injectors maxed out and I didn't take into account the need for bigger injectors stupidly enough thinking I would be safe on standards.

Thor mapped the car, very helpful with all my questions, just need to go back and get the new injectors fitted and get the map tweaked.

Spec is

TTE Turbo kit
R spec MBC
Kakimoto GT 1.0Z Exhaust
TRD clutch
Crower Stage 1 Cams
Apexi Power FC

mattymr2

Re: My new and improved MK3 turbo Thanks to Rogue + Thor Racing

Post by mattymr2 »

nice. :mrgreen:

like mk3's with hard tops. any future plans to mod the chasis/suspension?

what bodykit and wheels is it wearin?
ilogik

Post by ilogik »

mattymr2 wrote:nice. :mrgreen:

like mk3's with hard tops. any future plans to mod the chasis/suspension?

what bodykit and wheels is it wearin?

I was pretty lucky most things had been done when I bought it.

Wheels are 16 inch Advan racing rg 2's 16x7 and 16x8 rear, body kit is a genuine trial kit, bit of a pain in the ass, kit sits so low I can't lower it due to hitting everything.

Suspension has Kyb new Sr shocks, gives a slightly firmer ride over stock without making the ride too uncomfortable with a 30mm lowering.

Future plans probably atm, some better brake pads, thinking of going for some Carbotech Bobcats.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Get some new bolts on that heatshield and clean the whole lot up, ya dirty sod ;)
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

Really nice car.

I had a look when I dropped mine off the other day...

What was the car like with only the cams?
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

nice :thumleft:
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Cool :thumleft:

Can we have more pics of engine please 8)

(pic whore excuse :oldtongue: )
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Looks good :) FWIW, do you know what Turbo TTE use?

For brakes - you might want to check the condition of the inner face of the brake disks - they end up scored.

Stock Mr T pads are good for even light trackday use - a new set of pads is under £30 and new disks with DOT5.1 and some Goodrich braided hoses will transform the brake pedal.
ilogik

Post by ilogik »

Will get some more pics up shortly.

As for the question about cams, I did it along with a power Fc, but had supporting mods to go with it such as induction kit, exhaust and I had the pre cats removed.

The car made 152 hp and 145 torque.

Car felt very nibble, really enjoyed driving it, power felt instant, for cost of parts + fitting + mapping compared to the cost of sticking a used turbo kit on for what you get it does not seem worth it.

But, I really liked it, took it out at silverstone for a few hot laps and it was great fun, was flying past honda's and rx8's.

The biggest problem im finding since owning a turbo is the heat. Engine is like a small african village in the middle of a drought.

couple of vids with the cams, the other cars prob weren't trying but It still makes me feel big
\:D/

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=96996516974

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=108656655217

I don't know if I am insane, but I miss driving the N/A , was a lot more predictable.
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

car looks great, makes me think about getting a mk3 :thumleft:
ilogik

Post by ilogik »

Ill swap you for an S2K :P
m0jo

Post by m0jo »

quality car and build mate love it :thumleft:
greeny

Post by greeny »

ilogik wrote:After going the N/A tuning route with Crower stage 1 cams + power FC, I felt I still needed more. Originally planning on a turbo then wimping out, I then jumped head first at the bullet and dived right in.

I felt it was only logical to get Rogue, well trusted garage of mine to do the work, and great job they did fitting the kit.

I purchased a TTE kit as I heard good story's about the kit, the other reason was this kit kept my current exhaust, as i really hate the ones that come with some of the other kits.

The car made 195 fwhp (171 whp) + 161 torque, @8 psi , problem faced is my injectors maxed out and I didn't take into account the need for bigger injectors stupidly enough thinking I would be safe on standards.

Thor mapped the car, very helpful with all my questions, just need to go back and get the new injectors fitted and get the map tweaked.

Spec is

TTE Turbo kit
R spec MBC
Kakimoto GT 1.0Z Exhaust
TRD clutch
Crower Stage 1 Cams
Apexi Power FC

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v709/ ... 0094-1.jpg
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v709/ ... 0087-1.jpg

Was it power at the hubs? not wheels?

Lovely looking MKIII chap :thumleft: not usually a fan, but looks great :thumleft:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
ilogik

Post by ilogik »

greeny wrote:
ilogik wrote:After going the N/A tuning route with Crower stage 1 cams + power FC, I felt I still needed more. Originally planning on a turbo then wimping out, I then jumped head first at the bullet and dived right in.

Spec is

TTE Turbo kit
R spec MBC
Kakimoto GT 1.0Z Exhaust
TRD clutch
Crower Stage 1 Cams
Apexi Power FC

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v709/ ... 0094-1.jpg
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://url.photobucket.com/albums/v709/ ... 0087-1.jpg

Was it power at the hubs? not wheels?

Lovely looking MKIII chap :thumleft: not usually a fan, but looks great :thumleft:

Was 195 Fwhp hubs is the genuine figure or as close as possible?
RoadsterBoy

Post by RoadsterBoy »

BenF wrote:Looks good :) FWIW, do you know what Turbo TTE use?

Ben, from memory of looking at mine, it's a small Garett (t20?)

EDIT: just found this over on roc..

I really like the silver / gold wheels look - there was a tasty looking mk2 in mr2 the other month with the same colour scheme iifc..

Ilogik - I'm surprised you're having to change the injectors - have you upped the boost & changed the fueling from the standard tte level, as bigger injectors aren't required for a oem ttet install...
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

His isn't OEM Chris, he's got stage one N/A cams in there as well which I don't think is helping matters.
ilogik

Post by ilogik »

General gyst is the TTE is good for around 185 fwhp before you need to change things.

Not sure its bit of a random one really mixing and matching things with the TTE as TTE is pretty much a plug in and forget turbo kit.

Im unsure on the turbo unit, but I was under the impression it was easy enough to swap it out over to a bigger unit when required.

Cams I was told should be fine, but once again its one of those ones you will never know unless i swap them out then its more ££

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”