[Mk3] [NA] HELP! DESPERATLY NEED HELP! PLEASE....

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kingmodest

[Mk3] [NA] HELP! DESPERATLY NEED HELP! PLEASE....

Post by kingmodest »

right where to start, i just bought a 2000 mk3 MR-S with 36,000 miles on the clock. and i took it for a test drive and it had a rattle that the guy told me was a heat sheild rattle (i thought it was the cat) but he said it was a heat sheild rattle. (the guy is a senior salesman for alfa romeo, i know this for fact! and he'd had the car for 2 years) So i ran it home all the way from scotland (dundee) i live near hull! and all the way back it was rattling about 3500 rpm. i got home and asked my stepdad (a mechanic) to have a look at the heatsheild and he had a look around and said that the rattle is coming from the back of the engine! (To describe the sound, it sounds exactly like a rickety diesel engine.) and it seems to be doing it more now! now im panacking, what could the rattle be? is the timing out? has anyone heard of this before or had it happen to them? its strange as theres sod all mileage on the car! PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!
Last edited by kingmodest on Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simmo490

Re: [Mk3] [NA] HELP! DESPERATLY NEED HELP! PLEASE....

Post by simmo490 »

i dont know if the mr2`s do it but the pug 206 is famous for the inside of the intake manifold welds coming away, does not harm the engine but makes a heat sheild rattle

simmo
markiii

Post by markiii »

I strongly suggest you come on over to mr2roc.org and search for precats

I'd retype it, but there is way too much this will get you started

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11393

check your oil, and does it feel down on power at all?

on the positive side the 1zzfe is chain driven and has solid tappets so is quite a noisy engine, especially when low on oil
kingmodest

Post by kingmodest »

thanks ill check it out. but just to strengthen the point the sound is like a rickety old diesel engine! does that sound like heatsheild tapping sounds to anyone?
Cadde

Post by Cadde »

kingmodest wrote:right where to start, i just bought a 2000 mk3 MR-S with 36,000 miles on the clock. and i took it for a test drive and it had a rattle that the guy told me was a heat sheild rattle (i thought it was the cat) but he said it was a heat sheild rattle. (the guy is a senior salesman for alfa romeo, i know this for fact! and he'd had the car for 2 years) So i ran it home all the way from scotland (dundee) i live near hull! and all the way back it was rattling about 3500 rpm. i got home and asked my stepdad (a mechanic) to have a look at the heatsheild and he had a look around and said that the rattle is coming from the back of the engine! (To describe the sound, it sounds exactly like a rickety diesel engine.) and it seems to be doing it more now! now im panacking, what could the rattle be? is the timing out? has anyone heard of this before or had it happen to them? its strange as theres sod all mileage on the car! PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!

What was the matter with your car in the end, as I'm having the same trouble?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Cadde wrote:
kingmodest wrote:right where to start, i just bought a 2000 mk3 MR-S with 36,000 miles on the clock. and i took it for a test drive and it had a rattle that the guy told me was a heat sheild rattle (i thought it was the cat) but he said it was a heat sheild rattle. (the guy is a senior salesman for alfa romeo, i know this for fact! and he'd had the car for 2 years) So i ran it home all the way from scotland (dundee) i live near hull! and all the way back it was rattling about 3500 rpm. i got home and asked my stepdad (a mechanic) to have a look at the heatsheild and he had a look around and said that the rattle is coming from the back of the engine! (To describe the sound, it sounds exactly like a rickety diesel engine.) and it seems to be doing it more now! now im panacking, what could the rattle be? is the timing out? has anyone heard of this before or had it happen to them? its strange as theres sod all mileage on the car! PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!

What was the matter with your car in the end, as I'm having the same trouble?

this user hasn't posted on the forum for almost 2 years, you could try sending him a pm and he may get an email notifying him of a response, sorry about this , a few older posts were thrown in to help the mk3 forum get started. :thumleft:
AW11 Forever..!

Post by AW11 Forever..! »

markiii wrote:I strongly suggest you come on over to mr2roc.org and search for precats

on the positive side the 1zzfe is chain driven and has solid tappets so is quite a noisy engine, especially when low on oil

Hi Mark,

I have the MR-S a 2000 model, will mine be the same engine as that also sounds a little rattly, doesn't use any oil and is as nippy as ever.

Thanks
Michael Sheavills
MR2 World Community www.michael-sheavills.co.uk
Cadde

Post by Cadde »

Had the garage look at it and they think it;s my VVTI thats at fault.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

In what sense? There's a fair few bits that make the VVTI work, so what exactly do they think the issue is?
markiii

Post by markiii »

AW11 Forever..! wrote:
markiii wrote:I strongly suggest you come on over to mr2roc.org and search for precats

Hi Mark,

I have the MR-S a 2000 model, will mine be the same engine as that also sounds a little rattly, doesn't use any oil and is as nippy as ever.

Thanks
Michael Sheavills

yep it will

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”