[Mk3] [NA] MK3 Engine noice

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Captain Vimes

Re: [Mk3] [NA] MK3 Engine noice

Post by Captain Vimes »

Cadde wrote:Yeah is does but not that bad, it really only makes the noise at around 2000 RPM.

What was making that noise on yours?

You won't like the answer - I've sourced a new engine to sort it out - it's terminal. I suspect failure of the big ends - which is a common problem on the 2000-2002 1zz.

If it sounds anything like this (and it sounded much better in real life than in this clip) I'd avoid driving it and get it to Rogue just in case... It's amazing how bad a rattley exhaust can sound so it may still be an easy fix.
Cadde

Engine noise

Post by Cadde »

Does anyone have any advise on what the check, Patrick confirmed the noise is from the engine, I’ve been checking the oil on a daily basis and have done a engine pressure test – all ok.
Have now done about 300 miles, if there was a internal fault would I have not had some symptoms by now?...........can anyone help, ideally without taking the head off and inspecting the cams?
BenF
Premium Member

Re: Engine noise

Post by BenF »

Cadde wrote:Does anyone have any advise on what the check, Patrick confirmed the noise is from the engine, I’ve been checking the oil on a daily basis and have done a engine pressure test – all ok.
Have now done about 300 miles, if there was a internal fault would I have not had some symptoms by now?...........can anyone help, ideally without taking the head off and inspecting the cams?

You tried draining the oil from the engine and looking for any bits of metal in the oil?

TBH, if that noise is coming from the engine, given Captain Vimes's answer above it does sound like pre-cat related engine failure.
Cadde

Post by Cadde »

No but I will do. Ta very mutch
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Whereabouts in Leicestershire are you?

:)
Cadde

Post by Cadde »