stereo question, mk2 tubby

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

si

stereo question, mk2 tubby

Post by si »

Hi all, im going to take out the on board amps and run a simple set up running just from the stereo, thing is the wiring loom at the back.

as im taking the amps out could i run just a normal (uk) wiring loom so the speakers will run straight off of this?

Also where are the amps, cant find the bleeders anywhere.

Thanks
si

Re: stereo question, mk2 tubby

Post by si »

sorry should have posted in the ice section.... my bad!
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

From what I understand the standard amp(s) can be found hiding behind the passenger side rear speaker panel.

What's your reason for dispensing with the amps..? I have no idea what the standard speakers draw but you'll need to make sure your head-unit can cope.

If you bolt-on a wiring harness adapter then you'll need to make sure the speaker signal lines actually end up at the speakers. Sorry, I'm sure you already know this.

To be honest though, I'd expect you to have better sounds by leaving things as is..(?) If you want to improve then rig up a dedicated power line, an amp bolted to the firewall behind the seats, some signal cables, new speakers, and hurrah!

Regards,

Jonty.
si

Post by si »

thing is i think the on board amps are knackered, ive been losing speaker output over the time and now only the front left speaker works.

i have replaced the front speakers already and have just bought a set for the rear. the head unit should be able to cope with the output figures so i dont think that would be a problem.

i suppose its just a case of trial and error.

cheers jonty

Return to “Electrical”