Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

androo007

Re: Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Post by androo007 »

So, 1 week on:

the BMW is in for a repair so i've been FORCED to use it as my daily :mrgreen:

Everything is just GREAT! Drivability is superb, hot and cold map is fantastic, the car feels great, no leaks, nothing!!

Right now one happy chappy.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Nice one mate. How you getting on with that clutch that you used, would you recommend it.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Hi chap, yes I would. It's heavier than stock so a little tough in traffic as it's on off but nothing to moan home about. I'd do what everyone recommends, throw the release bearing in the bin and use a toyota one. Overall yeah I think it does the job very well
androo007

Post by androo007 »

So with the house move complete I now have a garage (yippee) to store the car, I've only got a couple of small updates:

- On the dash Alan sent me one of his lovely boost/volt delete inserts. I've a boost gauge, so don't need the daft inaccurate dial flicking around half the time.

- Cams: A set of GSC Gen 3 G2 268 high lift cams are due next week. Hopefully in early November to help the head breathe a little easier.

...... and I'm toying with the idea of selling up. My head is screaming that I'm a nutter - 2 years of hard work, a LOT of money and obsession to get the car menchanically perfect to sell up at a loss? Why? But like all projects they come to an end.

And I've got the itch for more power in a different car that's pulling me hard. So maybe we'll see, but it's likely that i'll be putting the car up for sale in the near future. I'll be asking £9k which for a freshly build, top quality, no nonsense car is cheap, trust me. No bullsh!t dynos, coverups or dodgy bits - if you've read through my build thread you'll see the heartache i've had just to get things how it should be. Anyway.... ramble over
almeida1234

Post by almeida1234 »

Is it a Nissan R34?
\:D/
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

That would be a shame to sell it considering what you have done mate.
MR2 Turbo Boy

Post by MR2 Turbo Boy »

I agreed, all that effort ...don’t sell Andy..
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Same thing happened to me, i just felt to old for the mr2 so decided to call it a day and buy a more sensible car that doesn't turn heads so much. So far i feel i made the correct decision in every way apart from a couple, one being the straight line speed, 470 bhp at 5k revs is hard to match in almost any road car...

You have had these thoughts before so it is just a matter of time before you move on, what's your weapon of choice ???
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Mines the opposite Martin, I've got the itch for more! :lol:

I fully built s2000 - Ive been toying with the idea of either a k series swap in the 2, or changing car to build on a better drifty platform.

That said I've put too much love into this car so I'm not sure I could let it go anyway :lol:
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

I did the same thing a few years ago, yearned for more power and ended up getting a Supra. A lot of money (and three-four years) later, I had a beautiful single turbo setup car with bags of power (and with that, bragging rights of course) but it never put the smile on my face like the MR2 does. Make sure you think long and hard about that decision! I regret it massively. :oops:
MR2 Turbo Boy

Post by MR2 Turbo Boy »

Bud, I’ll take you for a drive in mine after the 20th - see if you like the power...:):)
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Went out today for a real blast. Not to drive anywhere for a reason other than have some time to just enjoy the car.

I TAKE IT ALL BACK!

kept up with a bently continental GT to just over 70mph :wink: and I have to say the car drives faultlessly. As in, it feels as solid and reliable as a new OEM car. No ifs or buts or I need to do this or that.

There's no way I can get rid! 8)
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

androo007 wrote:Went out today for a real blast. Not to drive anywhere for a reason other than have some time to just enjoy the car.

I TAKE IT ALL BACK!

kept up with a bently continental GT to just over 70mph :wink: and I have to say the car drives faultlessly. As in, it feels as solid and reliable as a new OEM car. No ifs or buts or I need to do this or that.

There's no way I can get rid! 8)

I took it all back everytime with the mule also after a drive, i know i only had 470 bhp but the car was so fast with that power for a road car nothing touched it (not that i came across anything special other than new m3/m4s etc. or the odd ferrari) for acceleration.
My issue was rain and corners, this summer being one of the worst i have ever seen meaning as i worked during the week and shi**y weekend weather the car was bearly getting used. That's the main reason i started looking for a 4 wheel drive car so i could get the fun factor back and all that....

I doubt i will get the same straight line performance again and i'll miss it like bu88ery but there is more to enjoying driving than having a one trick pony, hence why you keep thinking about selling up i guess....
Saying that i should be getting into a mid 11.5 standing quarter area so all is not lost in that respect :-k
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Have you sold yours already then Martin? That went silently!
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

androo007 wrote:Have you sold yours already then Martin? That went silently!

I still have it, going to break the car though as the paint work is a joke and would take ££££ of what she is worth.... :( , i just spent £600 on two rear tyres, fresh oil and a new mot yet had her out just once since then, not money well spent hence me deciding to move on :( , obviously the other reasons mentioned also played a big factor.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Wow bloody hell
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Shame to move it on after all the work. Completely understand your thinking though.

Hell of a car :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Thanks pal. Yeah it's been a lot of effort and money to get it here and whilst it is a shame I really want something a bit more bonkers this time. A lot of people scream "oh the devil, 450hp in an mr2 is not something that can be tamed and driven daily without killing you at every opportune moment" - rubbish!!!!

Under 4k it's civilised and easy to drive. After that it just gets faster!

Anyway GSC 268s arrive tomorrow and ordering adjustable cam gears from ATS just incase :lol: 8)
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Keep it, maintain it, drive it and enjoy it. M

Oh and kicks it’s ass and smile whilst you do so lol

It’s Too good not to mate :thumleft:
'98 Rev5 Turbo (GEO 1S)

TOTB13 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
TOTB14 RWD 1/4mile 3rd place (Misfiring)
TOTB15 RWD 1/4mile 2nd place (HG Failure)
TOTB16 RWD 1/4mile 1st place
craig

Post by craig »

As above mate, keep it. Come too far to jack it in now!

Return to “Member Profiles”