Oil explosion at Thruxton

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DaveWS

Oil explosion at Thruxton

Post by DaveWS »

Hi all,

Took my Turbo for it's 2nd trackday under my ownership on Friday to Thruxton, and while it was awesome, I only got about 15 total laps of running. See the video:

/watch?v=HthSzm89IMc (put after youtube . com in address bar)

So after my friend Rob left the car and I immediately went out again, I guess the oil pressure starting going a bit mad, surging through the fast right handers. It wasn't until Church when I finally noticed the plume of smoke behind the car (power didn't change), but it was already coming out into Goodwood, hence the big moment there.

I need to investigate where the oil was escaping from, and no futher oil was lost on the way home although I didn't do any more laps for obvious reasons.

Any ideas?

Thanks
shinny

Re: Oil explosion at Thruxton

Post by shinny »

MartinF

Post by MartinF »

Sorry, can't help with your issue apart from suggesting the obvious getting under the car with a torch and looking for signs of oil, but i'm interested what suspension you have on your car?

Looks like a good day to be at the track as not too many drivers.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
DaveWS

Post by DaveWS »

Thanks shinny!

Martin:

Yeah I need to take a closer look underneath which I've not managed to do yet, been too busy.

I've got MeisterR ZetaCRD+'s fitted. I was planning on lowering the ride height and increasing the damping, I know it's moving about in the video but tbh it felt really balanced just a bit unsettled (fun though).

And yeah it was a great day for it, a little bit of rain in the afternoon but the track was super quiet.
DaveWS

Post by DaveWS »

Just to report back. I've barely used the car since but it runs fine and I'm still clueless as to where the oil literally sprayed from. Obviously there's a lot coating the sump and gearbox and it appears to have sprayed upwards into the engine cover, but I've still no idea where from. :-k

Edit: And I've checked the oil level (when cold) and it's still showing just over full. I guess I should drain some?
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

We did a trackday a while back with my uncles Evo4, it started spitting oil out similar to how you describe it. The fix was to replace the shiney aluminium oil filler cap for a genuine one which we happened to have with us (I was there in another Mitsi).

The car was absolutely fine until we started hooning too hard. Could be a cheap and easy test/fix.

HTH

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Are you running a BOV? Oil on the engine lid suggests it's spraying out of there if you are. Could have damaged piston rings or turbo on it's way out and only showing up when being pushed hard. Check for oil in your inlet tract, blue puffs of smoke out the exhaust and i'd get a compression test done.
If you've only got oil after the turbo, that'll suggest turbo seals. If it's pre-turbo, that'll suggest piston rings.
Hopefully it is something simple like Jaspa suggests though!

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”