The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Madabout

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Madabout »

Magic Beans wrote::thumleft:

One thing I've come to realise over the years is that Toyota got the styling of these cars pretty much spot on all those years ago. All I'm looking at doing is putting a slight modern twist to things.

Need to do a proper photoshoot with it at some point. Just looking for a new spot to use, as well as a day I'm free and the weather's compliant. Which is the biggest challenge over recent weeks :neutral:

Totally agree mate. Having only been back into MR2s for the last 8 months it was the style I have followed. For me subtle/factory style cues with decent wheels, exhaust and ride height and job done.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Spent a few days measuring, sourcing, ordering, removing, rerouting and an initial tidy up. However, one to go!

Oh, and the leads... 8-[

Then we can look at starting to clean the rest up and hide as much away as possible.
craig

Post by craig »

Looking much better mate! However, all this effort is highlighting the need for the cam cover to be painted. However, I'm sure that, being the meticulous beans that you are, it's already on the list!! :mrgreen:
Ben

Post by Ben »

I'm amazed you haven't got busy with a black marker-pen in the meantime :wink: :D
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I know I know, it eats away at me every single time I look at it #-o :lol:

I even contemplated brushing the VHT on it, but realised it would be horrible to remove when it was time to get it properly done :(
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

School photo time!

The class of 2013:

The class of 2017:

Apparently I like white cars with dark accent pieces :whistle: :lol:
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

You certainly have a fine taste in MR2s! Thanks for the advice BTW since my interest in them has been reignited.
Ben

Post by Ben »

That straightened hill/wonky house thing you've got going on is making my teeth itch :lol: :lol:

I can't believe I haven't seen the new beasty yet! [-X
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
craig

Post by craig »

Much prefer the class of '17 8)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Madabout wrote:You certainly have a fine taste in MR2s! Thanks for the advice BTW since my interest in them has been reignited.

Always a pleasure. If it's done the job then it's time well spent :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Ben wrote:That straightened hill/wonky house thing you've got going on is making my teeth itch :lol: :lol:

It's subsidence :whistle: :mrgreen:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

craig wrote:Much prefer the class of '17 8)

I'm inclined to agree :)

Interestingly one is better due to having more and the other better (for my requirements) due to having less.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Ben wrote:
I can't believe I haven't seen the new beasty yet! [-X

this

But i will be invading you for a bed soon, ill be up to get kels car mapping and cambelt done..

p.s. both new cars look awesome.. are you enjoying it
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

pistol pete wrote:
But i will be invading you for a bed soon, ill be up to get kels car mapping and cambelt done..

You're always welcome, you know that :)

pistol pete wrote:p.s. both new cars look awesome.. are you enjoying it

I do really like this one, it's such a great all round car. Feels healthy, solid, planted and well cared for. There is no other car for me beyond this, other than if I opt to have a really special daily.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Just a quick one today

Finally managed to get my hands on a stock Rev 3+ ECU, after weeks/months of looking. After getting to the point where I nearly stumped up a chunk of cash for one, I eventually got one for a bargain price! It promptly arrived a day or so later.

Quickly set to swapping the SARD out for it, with the SARD now being up for sale (shameless plug 8-[ :mrgreen: ).

Fired the car up and let it learn how to car again. Everything quickly settled down, so we're good to go.

Other than that I'm still tidying up the engine bay, but more on that later...
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

What was your reasoning Phil behind going back to a stock rev3 ecu as opposed to the SARD?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Managing total project costs mainly.

My current build doesn't make benefit of the differences the SARD offers. I'm better extracting the cost difference and using it on a fully mappable ECU further down the line, should my requirements warrant it.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Magic Beans wrote:School photo time!

The class of 2013:

The class of 2017:

Apparently I like white cars with dark accent pieces :whistle: :lol:

Love this. Both are cracking.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I've been wanting to replicate that old shot for some time. These two cars were the perfect opportunity to do so, given their obvious similarities and that they will both will the last I'll have..

It took some effort to find a break in the weather, have both cars clean and good light to work with. Thankfully it all came together though. I had about 2 minutes before dinner to get the shot, after which weather happened again #-o
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

For a while now I've been comtemplating what to do with this thread, post Photobucketmageddon. Realistically editing 138 pages and hundreds of photos simply wasn't a viable solution. Well, basically I simply couldn't find the motiviation to do so [-( :lol: However, it's important to me that this thread still document the full Mule journey, not just Mules VI - VIII (I moved to Flickr when I got Mule VI).

My plan is to handpick a selection of shots for each car at key stages of their time with me, which I've done, then do a post for each car which summarises what happened and when. Mules VI - VIII I won't need to cover, thankfully. You can pick those up here onwards: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... start=2360

We'll start at the beginning with Mule I, way back at the end of 2011. Not today though... :whistle:

Return to “Member Profiles”