MOT Emmisions failure Rev3 Turbo!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SonicSW20

Re: MOT Emmisions failure Rev3 Turbo!

Post by SonicSW20 »

The garage recommended changing the lambda sensor based on that? Interesting.

HC's are good, lambda is in range. Does it have a cat fitted? Might be as simple as it just can't get below 0.3% without a cat.

If it had an exhaust leak I would expect lambda to be reading high. Still worth checking for sure.
RandomDan

Post by RandomDan »

It has a cat fitted yea.

One problem though if the cat is dead i really cant find one of them!

Are these gasket any good or are they as crap as the price would suggest?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manifold-Turb ... Swq7JUKn0v
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If it ends up being the cat I have one which works as far as I know.

I wouldn't use them, just get the OEM ones. They're less expensive than you think.

PN's available here - http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/199 ... 1_manifold

Changing the manifold gaskets can be quite the pain in the ar$e so you'd want to confirm that's definitely the problem before doing it.Can you see / hear any evidence of a leak?
RandomDan

Post by RandomDan »

Gazza_DJ wrote:If it ends up being the cat I have one which works as far as I know.

I wouldn't use them, just get the OEM ones. They're less expensive than you think.

PN's available here - http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/199 ... 1_manifold

Changing the manifold gaskets can be quite the pain in the ar$e so you'd want to confirm that's definitely the problem before doing it.Can you see / hear any evidence of a leak?

I think the cat is the only sensible thing left at this point to be honest.

I cant hear anything leaking and there arnt any obvious signs that its leaking, not that there is much of anything to see of the manifold at all!

If you have a know good one it would be good if i could try it out.

Its not even my car and its causing my headaches xD
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Other thing to try before dismantling it is just giving it a proper italian tune up. Really give it hell, the cat needs to be really hot to work efficiently.
RandomDan

Post by RandomDan »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Other thing to try before dismantling it is just giving it a proper italian tune up. Really give it hell, the cat needs to be really hot to work efficiently.

Yea that was my plan but it pi$$ed it down on my way there and its not really the car to learn how to drift in the rain with xD

Ill try to get a price for the cat from my local toyota stealers and see what price comes back.
Hopefully not too bad as the only other one iv found is the sard cat from RHDjapan which is £500 before postage and import so that probably £700 easy!
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

RandomDan wrote:

Ill try to get a price for the cat from my local toyota stealers and see what price comes back.
Hopefully not too bad as the only other one iv found is the sard cat from RHDjapan which is £500 before postage and import so that probably £700 easy!

Another option is taking it to a proper exhaust place and pricing up a custom made one :thumleft:
RandomDan

Post by RandomDan »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
RandomDan wrote:

Another option is taking it to a proper exhaust place and pricing up a custom made one :thumleft:

Just got off the phone with the local toyota dealers the price came out at £275 plus vat which isnt too bad... shame that its discontinued and no longer available though!

Its begining to look like the only options for cats are:
1. new one from japan (stupid prices!)
2. secondhand with unknown lifespan
3. Custom made.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Id get some cataclean for it. It's about £15 put it in 10 minutes before the test and take it for a hard drive and have the tester do it as soon as you arrive.

I used it in an old rev1 that had high co and it worked well, no idea how long it lasted afterwards though
RandomDan

Post by RandomDan »

thomp1983 wrote:Id get some cataclean for it. It's about £15 put it in 10 minutes before the test and take it for a hard drive and have the tester do it as soon as you arrive.

I used it in an old rev1 that had high co and it worked well, no idea how long it lasted afterwards though

Its funny you mention it as Jenni has just bought some after a suggestion from her bro certainly worth a try for £15 ill report back if the claim can be verified!
danjama

Post by danjama »

Another option is to put the test probe into another exhaust altogether :lol:
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

danjama wrote:Another option is to put the test probe into another exhaust altogether :lol:

Wise words. Even with a decat mine has such clean emissions, uncanny how similar they are to a C180 Merc :cyclops:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”