MOT Emmisions failure Rev3 Turbo!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RandomDan

MOT Emmisions failure Rev3 Turbo!

Post by RandomDan »

Hello.

My OHs rev3 turbo has just failed its MOT on emmisions and iv been assured its the lambda sensor.
Where do i get this sensor from?
I can see the N/A ones around but im told they are differant.
My normal fall back would have been fensport but they dont stock much of anything for the turbo exhaust!

The Fail was on CO content at 0.58 natural idle and 0.49 fast idle.
The limit being 0.3.

Any help would be greatly apreciated!
SonicSW20

Re: MOT Emmisions failure Rev3 Turbo!

Post by SonicSW20 »

NA is different, you're correct.

What you need is a Denso DOX-0217. Plug and play. Denso website will tell you 0215 but as my friend found out recently that's the US spec 4 wire sensor. Connector is different.

Sensor is ~£60-£70. Up to you to confirm it's definitely the right one, you can cross reference part numbers against Japan parts - http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/199 ... uter#89465
robbie_742003

Post by robbie_742003 »

Whereabouts are you Dan? I changed mine a while ago cos i thought it was knackered but i think i changed for nothing.
You could try it then give me beer tokens :lol:

Rob
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Gazza_DJ wrote:NA is different, you're correct.

What you need is a Denso DOX-0217. Plug and play. Denso website will tell you 0215 but as my friend found out recently that's the US spec 4 wire sensor. Connector is different.

Sensor is ~£60-£70. Up to you to confirm it's definitely the right one, you can cross reference part numbers against Japan parts - http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/199 ... uter#89465

Thats the correct one for a 205 GT4 according to Opie oils.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pv-135190-den ... ingle.aspx

Not a bad price, I should probably replace mine as I get pretty xxxx mileage just cruising along the motorway in mine.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Under £50 is very good. I need to buy some oil but already have a new sensor... I paid close to £60!
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

last fail on the mr2 I had was because of a small hole in the exhaust system around the back box. Quite a small hole but enough to fail the test on emmisions. The hole wasn't enough of a leak to fail for that. worth a close look before buying a sensor in the hope of fixing it.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Hard to tell without the full results but a backbox leak would not affect CO figures, it would affect the calculated lambda though. If there was a hole pre o2 sensor that would cause it to read lean and compensate by adding more fuel, which would increase CO.

O2 is simple enough to test with a multimeter though.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Or if you're happy to swap the connector yourself: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Denso-Lamb ... 2749.l2649

Just put one of these on mine; works perfectly.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

For the sake of a tenner I'd rather have direct fit tbh!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I spent far too long trying to get a definite answer on which part no. to get. In the end I opted for the one I got and thankfully it worked. If I'd have known about that one I'd absolutely have spent the extra money.
RandomDan

Post by RandomDan »

robbie_742003 wrote:Whereabouts are you Dan? I changed mine a while ago cos i thought it was knackered but i think i changed for nothing.

Rob

Thanks for the offer but we have a new one on the way now.

xxxx know where all you guys found them though as the only one we could find was from MR2Ben at £85!
I know it expensive but you cant argue with the service and garanteeing to get the right one is worth it.
danjama

Post by danjama »

RandomDan wrote:
robbie_742003 wrote:Whereabouts are you Dan? I changed mine a while ago cos i thought it was knackered but i think i changed for nothing.

Rob

xxxx know where all you guys found them though as the only one we could find was from MR2Ben at £85!
I know it expensive but you cant argue with the service and garanteeing to get the right one is worth it.

But Gareth gave you a link to the exact one? What a waste of money...you can get the firect fit denso one on ebay for £50.
RandomDan

Post by RandomDan »

danjama wrote:
RandomDan wrote:

Rob

But Gareth gave you a link to the exact one? What a waste of money...you can get the firect fit denso one on ebay for £50.

I cant see any links to the right one :S

I wouldnt have spent that if i didnt feel i needed too.
Besides iv been burned before buying the 'right' part from som random ebay seller.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I posted a link to the one on opieoils which comes up when you choose the a 1995 celica gt4 which is the correct one for this car also.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Hard to tell without the full results but a backbox leak would not affect CO figures, it would affect the calculated lambda though. If there was a hole pre o2 sensor that would cause it to read lean and compensate by adding more fuel, which would increase CO.

O2 is simple enough to test with a multimeter though.

yep simple to test, wonder why people don't before buying parts?
RandomDan

Post by RandomDan »

Well iv just had it re-tested with the new sensor and its exactly the same.

So next job to check the manifold for leaks?
Not a job im looking forward too!

It may also be worth me noting that the breather from the cam cover is quite loose and leaking oil and presumably air that wouldnt cause the problem would it?

Ill get a picture of the full emmisions run down ASAP for those intrested to digest.

Bloody old cars! xD
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

What are the new figures compared to the old ones? Can you post photos of the emissions test result sheet for both tests?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

RandomDan wrote:

The Fail was on CO content at 0.58 natural idle and 0.49 fast idle.
The limit being 0.3.

Back to the OP as I've just clocked this...
What is your cars date of first use? *Most* Rev3 turbos have a higher limit. Any MR2 Turbo with a date of first use of 31st July 1995 or earlier has a limit of 3.5% CO, 1200ppm HC.
RandomDan

Post by RandomDan »

Hopefully this works, y first time using flikr since the photobucket incident.
I already hate Flikr good start.

ANYWAY

Image20562880_10159124402135298_1083419156_n by Dan SO, on Flickr

That is the old one.
The new results were much the same but the HC is a tad higher now.
I didnt get a print out for the latest test as they were doing it as more of a favour.
RandomDan

Post by RandomDan »

The car is a 96.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”